chain cleaning - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-27-2009, 9:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

chain cleaning

i just recently put rk quick accel kit on my 02 954. it came with a o-ring chain and my question regarding maintenance is what should be used to clean the chain. will some chemicals damage the o-ring seals or weaken the clip that connects the two pins on master link ? i heard people u sing wd40. is it safe? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-27-2009, 9:41 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: chain cleaning

i myself use wd40 to clean then chain wax or 80-90 gear oil for lube

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
post #3 of 27 Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybcnyc View Post
i just recently put rk quick accel kit on my 02 954. it came with a o-ring chain and my question regarding maintenance is what should be used to clean the chain. will some chemicals damage the o-ring seals or weaken the clip that connects the two pins on master link ? i heard people u sing wd40. is it safe? thanks
Kerosene is probably the best but WD40 should be fine.
You are only trying to clean crud off the outside of the rollers and seals. You don't want to clean the grease out the grease that's sealed inside by the o-rings.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-28-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the nfo guys. i ordered Motul Chain Clean solution but will keep in mind WD40 to compare the results in the future. so is it safe to spray these stuff all over the chain? i would assume that the grease sealed inside by the o-rings is hard to get to because of the tight fit so it's safe to brush/wipe all sides of chain?
post #5 of 27 Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks for the nfo guys. i ordered Motul Chain Clean solution but will keep in mind WD40 to compare the results in the future. so is it safe to spray these stuff all over the chain? i would assume that the grease sealed inside by the o-rings is hard to get to because of the tight fit so it's safe to brush/wipe all sides of chain?
Yes, it's fine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 27 Old 11-28-2009, 9:31 AM

Reputation Power: 16

If you use WD-40 spray it lightly on a rag first then wipe the chain with the rag. I wouldn't soak the chain with it. I mean think about it WD-40 is a penetrating oil. It is designed to get into tight spots. Which means that you run a risk of it getting past the o-rings and diluting or even completely removing the grease behind the seals if the chain is sprayed directly with it and allowed to sit for any period of time. Then scrubbing the chain with a brush will only help the WD-40 penetrate even deeper past the o-rings. Thus reducing the life of the chain. Now I am sure plenty of people will post that they use WD-40 and they soak their chain and have no problems. To each his own. I personally don't do it. Its not like you are saving money by using WD-40. It cost just as much if not more than a good chain cleaner that is designed to clean chains without harming the o-rings or grease. I am just letting you know what could happen. You make your own decision on what you wish to use. Like Bladeracer has already stated though kerosene is the best cleaner for a chain.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

good stuff roland5color. thanks
post #8 of 27 Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Reputation Power: 16

post #9 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

dont wanna start new thread, but i noticed that there's some oil on the bottom of the clutch cover that attracts dirt etc. it's a very minimal leak, doesn't drip. anything i can do about it? is there a gasket around it? new cover? tighten bolts?
post #10 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 AM

sure there's a gasket, but it's gonna be a pain to replace it.
Did you lay her over, has it been leaking for a while, is there an oil spot on your garage floor from it?
Might be better just to leave it alone.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

i bought it used and it was laid down at very slow speed on the clutch cover side. i see there are visible scratches on it. whenever i checked there was always some oil and dirt there which i usually wiped out but it always comes back.it never left an oil spot. ideas? would it be easier to replace the cover rather than gasket or is it the same level of difficulty?
post #12 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 1:02 AM

you are assuming that the leak is from the cover. bad news is that this would be the best case scenario. you need to make sure that you don't have a cracked case. That would require some welding in order to fix your leak. If it is the cover, then:
1) drain the oil
2) pull you cover..be careful not to nick the two posts...
3) Remove the oem gasket using a razor blade and some solvent
.... and replace with your gasket of choice
5) Add some silicon at the case face joints
6) Slap on your new cover, torque it in and replace the oil.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 1:03 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
dont wanna start new thread, but i noticed that there's some oil on the bottom of the clutch cover that attracts dirt etc. it's a very minimal leak, doesn't drip. anything i can do about it? is there a gasket around it? new cover? tighten bolts?
There's no gasket on the clutch cover so you'd have to take it off and reseal it if that's what's leaking.
It'd be best to clean the area and see if you can determine exactly where it's coming from.

post #14 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 1:42 AM Thread Starter

i cleaned up the clutch cover area and left white paper towel under it to see if there are any spots in the morning. i noticed one crack on the clutch cover and one that kind of looks like its on the case. my phone takes bad pics and i marked the spots. ill inspect some more in the morning. however it always seemed to be collecting on the where case meets with the cover so i assumed it was not sealed properly.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8415/cracksx.jpg
post #15 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 1:46 AM

Reputation Power: 12

i have good luck cleaning the chain w/ Pledge. smells good too. (but i also use wd40 and wipe dry, then spray w/ lube.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page