honda 954rr speed limiter - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

honda 954rr speed limiter

Hi all, I am a proud owner of a 2003 honda 954rr. Need help on a couple of issues.
The chassis no. of my bike is SC50-1000xxx, is it alright or supposed to be a 17 digit no./alphabet.
Also there is a speed limiter at 180kph.
Will somebody be kind enough to help me out on these two issues, especially the latter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 6:49 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: honda 954rr speed limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj04 View Post
Hi all, I am a proud owner of a 2003 honda 954rr. Need help on a couple of issues.
The chassis no. of my bike is SC50-1000xxx, is it alright or supposed to be a 17 digit no./alphabet.
Also there is a speed limiter at 180kph.
Will somebody be kind enough to help me out on these two issues, especially the latter.
The VIN should be 17 digits - JH2SC50XXXXXXXXXX. JH2 is the manufacturer code I think. SC50 is the model, then there should be a letter indicating the market it was built for (A=Europe, B=Germany, C=France, U=Australia). Then a check digit for confirming the VIN is genuine (using a rather complex formula). Then a year indicator (954 will be 2 or 3). Then an M I think and finally a six-digit serial number.
The speed limiter is for Japanese models I thought or French perhaps?
No idea how to rectify it but I'd expect you'd need to replace the ECU at least.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 7:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks bladeracer for the reply, i thought so too on the VIN. though i really need a solution to the limiter problem. BTW how much would a ecu cost me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 7:10 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks bladeracer for the reply, i thought so too on the VIN. though i really need a solution to the limiter problem. BTW how much would a ecu cost me.
First you'd need to determine if it has the same connectors as yours so as to be able to use it.
Does the bike have the HISS immobiliser? Does it have an O2 sensor in the midpipe?
Is it an SC50C?
If you can use a US ECU you should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply I would think.
Does the speed limiter still work if you remove the dash? Just in case the limiter is built into the speedo. 180kph in top gear is only around 7000RPM?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 8:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
First you'd need to determine if it has the same connectors as yours so as to be able to use it.
Does the bike have the HISS immobiliser? Does it have an O2 sensor in the midpipe?
Is it an SC50C?
If you can use a US ECU you should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply I would think.
Does the speed limiter still work if you remove the dash? Just in case the limiter is built into the speedo. 180kph in top gear is only around 7000RPM?
yes, it has HISS immobiliser.
02 sensor, how do I find it?
engine no. is SC50E, ch. no. SC501000xxx
no the speed limiter does not work, but rev limiter kicks in @7300rpm, which is also when the bike reaches 180 in the 6th gear. Checked it out by removing the connection to the speedo.
post #6 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 8:41 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
yes, it has HISS immobiliser.
02 sensor, how do I find it?
engine no. is SC50E, ch. no. SC501000xxx
no the speed limiter does not work, but rev limiter kicks in @7300rpm, which is also when the bike reaches 180 in the 6th gear. Checked it out by removing the connection to the speedo.
HISS is going to be a problem as you'll need a replacement ECU complete with its matching keys.
The engine number doesn't matter as all the engines are the same. You need the VIN code to determine which model it is.
The rev limiter must be different in each gear surely? Does it rev above 7300RPM in the lower gears?

post #7 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
HISS is going to be a problem as you'll need a replacement ECU complete with its matching keys.
The engine number doesn't matter as all the engines are the same. You need the VIN code to determine which model it is.
The rev limiter must be different in each gear surely? Does it rev above 7300RPM in the lower gears?
there is speed limiter @180kph regardless of the gear, or the rpm.
rev limter @7300rpm only kicked in when the speedo was disconnected, again regardless of the gear.
post #8 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 9:01 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
there is speed limiter @180kph regardless of the gear, or the rpm.
rev limiter @7300rpm only kicked in when the speedo was disconnected, again regardless of the gear.
Yes, that's what I thought. So the revs stop at different points with first and second gears revving right out to redline?
That sounds like a trick to prevent you from circumventing it by disconnecting the speedo.
Which leads me to believe it is hard-wired into the ECU.

post #9 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 9:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, that's what I thought. So the revs stop at different points with first and second gears revving right out to redline?
That sounds like a trick to prevent you from circumventing it by disconnecting the speedo.
Which leads me to believe it is hard-wired into the ECU.
so any solution, other than replacing the ecu.
if not, where can i get an ecu from?
post #10 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Reputation Power: 59

As you have the HISS system your going to need to get a HISS ECU AND the corresponding HISS chip within the key.

It's possible to lift the shiny part of the key up and replace the chip (be very careful when you do it) and therefore saving you money. If not, your going to need the keys and full lock set.

Best place to look is eBay - second hand units (with the keys/lockset) are going for about £500 or there abouts but they're not always on there.

That is of course as long as the limiter is within the ECU (I would assume so as Blade seems to think it is )

"Second is the first of the losers..."

Last edited by Twincam; 12-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.
post #11 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 6:57 PM
Global Moderator

There's no solution I know of other than replacing the ECU and Ebay would be the place to get it.
First you would want to confirm that the connectors are compatible. A wiring diagram would show if any of the wiring is different but as long as the connectors fit the ECU you can alter the wiring to suit.

post #12 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

after the speedo is disconnected (with a switch installed), the speed limiter is removed temporarily, but after one attempt(or after some time, not sure) rev limiter kicks in. then i have to turn the bike off and start again to remove the limiter.
I took the bike to 11000rpm in 3rd gear and 10000rpm in 4th gear.
post #13 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
after the speedo is disconnected (with a switch installed), the speed limiter is removed temporarily, but after one attempt(or after some time, not sure) rev limiter kicks in. then i have to turn the bike off and start again to remove the limiter.
I took the bike to 11000rpm in 3rd gear and 10000rpm in 4th gear.
Do you mean that it wouldn't rev any higher in third and fourth?
At those revs in those gears you should be up over 200kph - with stock gearing at least.

post #14 of 91 Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you mean that it wouldn't rev any higher in third and fourth?
At those revs in those gears you should be up over 200kph - with stock gearing at least.
I ran out of clear road and i think guts too.
It felt like +200kph to me.
post #15 of 91 Old 12-02-2009, 1:37 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Couldn't he put in a NON HISS ECU and not worry about the key matching?

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page