Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Aftermarket pipe - australian bike fitting - cable removal

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mmamster 
#1 ·
All

I am fitting a new pipe to my 09 fireblade which is an Australian delivered bike.

The stock exhaust has a second cable attached to it (first being the servo cable), it is electrical and seems to be a sensor of some sort. From reading other forums it is an o2 sensor I think and does not feature on USA spec blades. I have disconnected it from the stock pipe and followed the cable to as far as the engine cover near the gear lever. I can't figure out where it goes next or how to remove it. I think this cable appears on euro and UK bikes too.

My question for anyone re this cable:

1. what is it?
2. with an aftermarket can, is it safe to remove it? How do I remove it?
3. do I need an oxygen sensor eliminator plug - if so where do I plug it in.

My problem is that I have the usa tech manual which doesn't cover any of this.

Cheers
Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
All

I am fitting a new pipe to my 09 fireblade which is an Australian delivered bike.

The stock exhaust has a second cable attached to it (first being the servo cable), it is electrical and seems to be a sensor of some sort. From reading other forums it is an o2 sensor I think and does not feature on USA spec blades. I have disconnected it from the stock pipe and followed the cable to as far as the engine cover near the gear lever. I can't figure out where it goes next or how to remove it. I think this cable appears on euro and UK bikes too.

1. what is it?

My problem is that I have the usa tech manual which doesn't cover any of this.

Cheers
Mark

#3 ·

1. what is it?
1. Its the lambda sensor (O2 sensor)
2. Some aftermarket can's have a place to reinstall the lambda sensor (Yoshi R-77 and Scorpion for example) Only remove it if you are fitting an O2 eliminator and Power Commander. It unplugs under the LHS fairing if you follow the cable.
3. See answer 2.

Reference answer 2, I'm not certain but would be fairly sure if you just unplug if, fit an aftermarket can and start it, then without an O2 eliminator it will generate an engine management alarm. If you fit a Power Commander you must fit an O2 eliminator.

What aftermarket can are you fitting?

HTH ... John

#4 ·
Yes mate, it is the O2 sensor.

What to do with it depends on which aftermarkey exhaust you have bought.

What have you bought ?

Does it have a cat ?

Have you bought a PC with/without an O2 eliminator ?

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies that is awesome.

I have bought and fitted a hotbodies MGP growler. It is a stubby straight through pipe with no cat or O2 sensor bung.

I have a 02 sensor eliminator - do I unplug the o2 sensor cable and plug that in instead?

Also another question - will I need to put a power commander on it as with the new pipe it is a little rough in low rev range.

#6 ·
Hi tully

Yep, the Scorpion has a sports cat, so the 02 sensor just goes in as per the original.

Point to note. If you are going to re-fit it, pre-twist the cable. You'll understand when you take it out :thumb:

#7 ·
I removed mine completely to fit the R-77 and PCV. Its a bit of a pig getting the connector plug and cable out as the routeing and clips are a "little" awkward. Pre-twisting sounds ideal but you probably run the risk of breaking the cables off the lambda sensor, how many turns is it screwed into the pipe?

I like snow but I'm starting to get a bit fed up with it. Need a couple of days rain to get rid of it and clean the roads up, then I can out to see how the bike runs with the R-77 fitted, all I can tell in the garage is that it's loud ... very loud :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.