Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Changing gearing: questions and concerns

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bladeracer 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 929RR (U.S. version) with full exhaust and stock gearing(16/43). I have an old school power commander that may go on the bike in the spring as well. It's time to do the chain and I'm contemplating a gearing change. The options that I'm looking at now are:

1. Leave stock
2. -1 front so 15/43
3. +2 rear so 16/45
4. -1 front, +1 rear so 15/44

I've had the bike power wheelie a little a couple of times in first gear in a full tuck. I'm trying to gauge how easily the bike is going to power wheelie for different gearing options. My big concern is that I want more fun factor out of the bike. If I have to modulate the throttle all the time to avoid having the bike come up on me then I think that may cut into the fun factor. Dunno.

From an experience perspective I've been riding 3 years, about 6k miles total. I put 2k miles on my 929 last year which is my first liter bike (had a Ninja 500R before that).

Thoughts/opinions?

#5 ·
I have a 2001 929RR (U.S. version) with full exhaust and stock gearing(16/43). I have an old school power commander that may go on the bike in the spring as well. It's time to do the chain and I'm contemplating a gearing change. The options that I'm looking at now are:

1. Leave stock
2. -1 front so 15/43
3. +2 rear so 16/45
4. -1 front, +1 rear so 15/44

I've had the bike power wheelie a little a couple of times in first gear in a full tuck. I'm trying to gauge how easily the bike is going to power wheelie for different gearing options. My big concern is that I want more fun factor out of the bike. If I have to modulate the throttle all the time to avoid having the bike come up on me then I think that may cut into the fun factor. Dunno.

From an experience perspective I've been riding 3 years, about 6k miles total. I put 2k miles on my 929 last year which is my first liter bike (had a Ninja 500R before that).

Thoughts/opinions?
I suggest getting a 15T front first and try it. Then you'll know if it's too much or you want more, and then you can order the rear sprocket and chain to suit.
As for modulating the throttle, I would hope you're already doing that on the road so it isn't going to be a big deal with lower gearing.

#7 ·
The 929 happily wheelies with stock gearing :)
I run 15/47 and I do wheelie a lot but I have no trouble at all keeping it down if I wish to.

#11 ·
I could bounce up 2nd with a slipon and nothing else on mine, well nothing other than lack of bodywork...

I ran -1/+2 for a while, but decided that was a little short for the freeway commuting I often do. I could bounce up 3rd though... I'm running a stock size front sprocket for now, but will go back to 1 down for the track.

#13 ·
I had plenty of room on my 1000rr so I would think you should be fine. You didn't mention your sprocket. AFAM has very good alloy sprockets and I've been running mine for 3 seasons 21,000 km and no noticable wear. It is a 530 and I do take care of it.

#14 ·
Right now I'm running the stock sprockets.

I'm trying to buy all my stuff from motosport.com. The only problem is that my sprocket options are limited to Renthal and Vortex. Renthal seems to have good reviews. That site offers the front sprocket in 15 or 16 teeth, steel (RENTHAL FRONT SPROCKET 530 | MotoSport) and a rear sprocket 42 or 44 teech, aluminum (RENTHAL REAR SPROCKET 530 | MotoSport)

If anyone knows other good sites to buy this stuff I'm all ears :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.