01 929 cranks, won't start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 3:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

01 929 cranks, won't start

This is my first post...so go easy! First off, I have received alot of info off the forums here and you guys are REAL knowledgeable. Thanks. In fact, I have been able to do most of the troubleshooting on my CBR so far with all your guys help.

2001 CBR929RR yellow/black, all stock. only owner and never had a problem until now. No mods or Power commander. 3300 miles only....yes I know...get out and put more miles on the bike.

Problem: My bike had been sitting in the garage for almost a year totally neglected except for a battery tender on battery. I decided to run the bike again and siphoned old fuel completely out and put fresh 91 gas in with a little Sea Foam. Long story short. I was able to get it started no problem and immediately experienced power loss whenever I accelerated. Turns out my FPR went bad. I replaced FPR. I changed the oil (which smelled like fuel and looked like Guiness Beer...mmmm) and the oil filter (OEM). I tried starting the bike. It would crank over (can hear fuel pump prime prior) but would not start. I tried starting the bike, but the battery eventually died. The bike sounded like it wanted to start, but just couldn't get there. Battery is about a year old and a cheap Powersource battery (sealed, maint free type)

Fast forward. I am currently charging the battery using a battery tender jr. By the time I get home, the tender would have been on the battery for 16 hours. I also replaced all four spark plugs with new plugs. My old plugs were almost black at the ends, like oil or something had burned. Possibly from when my FPR went out? Maybe the whole fuel mixing in the oil, which could result from bad FPR? Anyway, I also have a new battery charged and on standby if my current battery fails.

I will not try to start the bike again until tonight after work, but is there anything else I am missing troublehsooting this? Way, way frustrating.

I will update tonight after trying to start the bike again. I can also post pics of the plugs if necessary.

Thanks,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-29-2010, 4:04 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: 01 929 cranks, won't start

Sounds like youve got it pretty well figured out.

My only advice is to prime the fuel pump a few times before hitting the starter button

Aside from that, have you checked that youre getting spark?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 7:19 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 01 929 cranks, won't start

Bike good as new!!!!!!!!!

Problem:
Loss of power as I applied throttle. Bike real sluggish and sputtering, leading to eventual stall. Fuel spilled into oil.
Solution:
Siphon out old gas
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Put in full tank of 91 Premium gas along with half bottle of Sea Foam
Change oil (Honda Pro)
Change filter (Honda OEM)

Problem:
Bike would crank, but would not start.
Solution:
Change plugs x4 (Honda/NGK OEM)
Charge battery overnight on Battery Tender Jr.

Thanks so much. I spend about $175 in parts, but save hundreds in labor.
These forums rock and are full of GREAT info. I rode the bike today and it runs better than new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 6:37 PM

Reputation Power: 10

question for ya about the fpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv2297 View Post
Bike good as new!!!!!!!!!

Problem:
Loss of power as I applied throttle. Bike real sluggish and sputtering, leading to eventual stall. Fuel spilled into oil.
Solution:
Siphon out old gas
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Put in full tank of 91 Premium gas along with half bottle of Sea Foam
Change oil (Honda Pro)
Change filter (Honda OEM)

Problem:
Bike would crank, but would not start.
Solution:
Change plugs x4 (Honda/NGK OEM)
Charge battery overnight on Battery Tender Jr.

Thanks so much. I spend about $175 in parts, but save hundreds in labor.
These forums rock and are full of GREAT info. I rode the bike today and it runs better than new.
Similiar thing happen to be but i had a iginition generator code. I replaced it but and the code is gone but its still doing the same things spin but wont catch.. sprayed carb in the the intake and it will fire but thats the only way. I checked the fuel system,injectors, hoses, fuel line and all except the FPR. Not sure how to test it but its fuel going thru it by way of the return hose. Put in new sparks today and tried a new batt. Still nothing the batt just had the engine spinning faster cause the old one was dead. Anyway im getting power to the injectors but they are not shooting at all. Im not getting any codes for the injectors either which is crazy. Could it be the Fpr or whats stopping the injectors. Did the plug test and they were dry. No fuel getting to them, thx
post #5 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 8:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: question for ya about the fpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger407/404 View Post
Similiar thing happen to be but i had a iginition generator code. I replaced it but and the code is gone but its still doing the same things spin but wont catch.. sprayed carb in the the intake and it will fire but thats the only way. I checked the fuel system,injectors, hoses, fuel line and all except the FPR. Not sure how to test it but its fuel going thru it by way of the return hose. Put in new sparks today and tried a new batt. Still nothing the batt just had the engine spinning faster cause the old one was dead. Anyway im getting power to the injectors but they are not shooting at all. Im not getting any codes for the injectors either which is crazy. Could it be the Fpr or whats stopping the injectors. Did the plug test and they were dry. No fuel getting to them, thx

Did you disconnect the PC to see if that's the problem?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you disconnect the PC to see if that's the problem?
t
yea blade i did.. same thing.. Injectors are not spraying.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 4:41 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
t
yea blade i did.. same thing.. Injectors are not spraying.

Then you will need to determine if they're not firing because they're not getting a signal, or because they are getting the signal but are blocked.
Any chance you can borrow some injectors from somewhere?
Have you checked the injectors with a test light to confirm they are firing?
If they're getting the signals then I can only guess they're gummed up with fuel residue. Have you tried removing them and soaking them in carb cleaner?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Then you will need to determine if they're not firing because they're not getting a signal, or because they are getting the signal but are blocked.
Any chance you can borrow some injectors from somewhere?
Have you checked the injectors with a test light to confirm they are firing?
If they're getting the signals then I can only guess they're gummed up with fuel residue. Have you tried removing them and soaking them in carb cleaner?
hey blade thx bro, umm i cant get any from anywhere but i did soak them but with only using gas.. i did test the injector connectors and i got 12v from them all but i didnt know how to check the injectors themselves? I will try the carb cleraner soaking..So power is getting to them but they arent doing anything.. Its doing the same thing blade since that tigintion generator went out.. Maybe i need to make sure i put it back on correctly in the clutch housing but i have the side with the white face with the metal square facing the lil rotar. Wonder is it making contact? Man i spray that carb cleaner and she fires up but dies.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 7:03 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
hey blade thx bro, umm i cant get any from anywhere but i did soak them but with only using gas.. i did test the injector connectors and i got 12v from them all but i didnt know how to check the injectors themselves? I will try the carb cleraner soaking..So power is getting to them but they arent doing anything.. Its doing the same thing blade since that tigintion generator went out.. Maybe i need to make sure i put it back on correctly in the clutch housing but i have the side with the white face with the metal square facing the lil rotar. Wonder is it making contact? Man i spray that carb cleaner and she fires up but dies.
Soaked them in gasoline?
Gasoline is not a cleaner, it's the reason the injectors are gummed up now.
I'm not sure, but I would think you'd see 12V power at the injectors regardless of whether they're operating (somebody that understands electrickery can confirm that I hope). You can make a very simple test light by soldering two wires onto a 12V bulb and putting that into each injector connector. It will flash while cranking to indicate the firing pulses from the ECU.
I would certainly check that the pulse generator is correctly installed but the test light would confirm that.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 4:59 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Soaked them in gasoline?
Gasoline is not a cleaner, it's the reason the injectors are gummed up now.
I'm not sure, but I would think you'd see 12V power at the injectors regardless of whether they're operating (somebody that understands electrickery can confirm that I hope). You can make a very simple test light by soldering two wires onto a 12V bulb and putting that into each injector connector. It will flash while cranking to indicate the firing pulses from the ECU.
I would certainly check that the pulse generator is correctly installed but the test light would confirm that.
To check wiring to injectors it is recomended to use a noid light, if I am correct the use of an ordinary bulb is no good, electrical pulses are too quick. Noid lights are not expensive and here is a link on use How to Test Voltage to Fuel Injectors With Noid Light | eHow.com not the best but gives the basic info.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-19-2010, 9:34 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinel2 View Post
To check wiring to injectors it is recomended to use a noid light, if I am correct the use of an ordinary bulb is no good, electrical pulses are too quick. Noid lights are not expensive and here is a link on use How to Test Voltage to Fuel Injectors With Noid Light | eHow.com not the best but gives the basic info.

Isn't a noid light just a 12V bulb though?

post #12 of 13 Old 07-20-2010, 5:26 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Isn't a noid light just a 12V bulb though?
Looks like you are right there, wasn't quite what I was led to believe
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 8:48 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Send a message via Yahoo to curbaez

so what was the issue ? gummed up injectors ? or the pulse generator ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page