Tips for buying a salvaged bike? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-10-2004, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tips for buying a salvaged bike?

First off I'd like to say hi to everyone, I've never posted but visited a couple of times. I currently own a R1 and looking at couple 929s that are stolen recoveries. Both are in good shape body wise. One is a 01' erion with 930 miles and the other is a 00' with 1300 miles. Does anybody have any input on questions I should ask the dealer or things I would want to check out/watch out for personally if I go to see them before buying. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-10-2004, 1:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Tips for buying a salvaged bike?

Welcome to the .org, LBSC.

I'll list a few points, knowing that there is a lot more accumulated knowledge on this board.

1. What do you want to do with the bike(s)? In other words, are these for street? track? restore - resale? Parts? Check with your dept. of motor vehicles and see what restrictions will apply to a salvage title from _____ state. Last summer, I bought an SV650 for track - only use with a Penn salvage title from Northeast motorsports in Philly.

In certain states, it could be fixed to acceptable specifications, inspected, and re-registered to be streetable. However, that was not the case in Michigan. Michigan will allow certain salvage title bikes ( I think those that were originally titled within the state) to be fixed, re-registered, and put back on the street, but my insurance agent said the premiums for such a bike would be prohibitively high.

2. Is it legit? Check the title carefully and contact the insurance company that signed off on it for more information if you aren't sure. Put out a call for anyone who has dealt with the people you're buying from.

3. Is it in good shape mechanically? By this, I mean, is it a stunna bike that was rashed and abused to the degree that it got "stolen" so the previous owner could scam a new one?

4. Given the above, is it a good deal? I got my SV, which runs pretty well, for under 2 grand. It has less than 10, 000 miles on the odometer. And a big dent in the tank !

Last edited by CBRVFR; 01-10-2004 at 1:11 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2004, 4:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: Tips for buying a salvaged bike?

Thanks for the advise

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page