fouling plugs, 95 900rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2010, 8:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

fouling plugs, 95 900rr

hey guys, i need some advice with my blade. i keep fouling up all four plugs. i've looked at just about everything other than the carby adjustment screws, and was hoping to avoid changing the settings because, even though its running really fat, it hasnt got a flat spot in it. the fuelling is magnificent all the way from 2 grand to redline.

the problem is i will drop one cylinder about once a week. when this happens i pull her apart clean the black crap (fuel) off the spark plugs, put it all back together and away we go again, like it never happened. then about a week later, they get dirty again, and the process repeats.

so i figure its time to start taking a bit of fuel out of the mix. i've only got the 96 manual and even though it appears to be similar, i cant see the pics properly anyway. can anyone point me in the right direction with adjusting the carbs please?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: fouling plugs, 95 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercbr View Post
hey guys, i need some advice with my blade. i keep fouling up all four plugs. i've looked at just about everything other than the carby adjustment screws, and was hoping to avoid changing the settings because, even though its running really fat, it hasnt got a flat spot in it. the fuelling is magnificent all the way from 2 grand to redline.

the problem is i will drop one cylinder about once a week. when this happens i pull her apart clean the black crap (fuel) off the spark plugs, put it all back together and away we go again, like it never happened. then about a week later, they get dirty again, and the process repeats.

so i figure its time to start taking a bit of fuel out of the mix. i've only got the 96 manual and even though it appears to be similar, i cant see the pics properly anyway. can anyone point me in the right direction with adjusting the carbs please?

cheers
How many kilometers on the engine?
Stock muffler?
Clean airfilter?
Are the plugs the correct heat range?
Is it burning any oil?
I'd be investigating the fuel supply before making carb adjustments.
If you bypass the fuel pump and run the bike off gravity feed is it any different?
What's your fuel economy like?
Is the fuel tap vacuum operated?
If all that is good then I'd pull the carbs, clean them thoroughly and check the float needles are good. New needles and seats are never a bad thing. If the seats are sealed with o-rings, replace though as well.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2010, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: fouling plugs, 95 900rr

hey thanks for the reply. i wondered about the fuel pump actually, but wasnt sure as i dont know the in's and outs of how the feed works on it. will have a look.

78000kms, air filter is used, but not filthy, plugs are cr9eh9's, which is correct from what i understand, muffler is aftermarket but i apart from black plugs, i assumed it was working ok due to the fuelling feeling so nice. it has a tiny drop of oil on the spark plug threads most of the time, no biggie i think and fuel economy seems ok. bout 210kms till reserve time. iv'e also had the carbs off and the floats are all within spec.

thanks for your help so far too, this is driving me nuckin futs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page