maintenance - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

maintenance

I just got my 2001 Honda cbr929rr with 28000km on it (around 17000miles). Apparently guy who owned it before (for 4 years) did regular oil changes and put new tires. Now my questions, what kind of maintenance should I do? Bike starts and runs great, really enjoy it, but i was thinking should I do radiator flush, put new spark plugs? I do not have user manual for it. I just topped up front break fluid and lubricated chain, bike seems to be fine, but am I missing something? Appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2010, 2:48 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Re: maintenance

I would suggest getting hold of a workshop manual like Clymer or Haynes, they list the service items for the bike. Do those at the intervals specified.

Maybe a google search might churn out the service schedule for a 929?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-18-2010, 3:15 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrilet View Post
I just got my 2001 Honda cbr929rr with 28000km on it (around 17000miles). Apparently guy who owned it before (for 4 years) did regular oil changes and put new tires. Now my questions, what kind of maintenance should I do? Bike starts and runs great, really enjoy it, but i was thinking should I do radiator flush, put new spark plugs? I do not have user manual for it. I just topped up front break fluid and lubricated chain, bike seems to be fine, but am I missing something? Appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.
Alex

Replace the brake fluid for a start and do it every year.
Never top up brake fluid. It's a sealed system. With new pads the fluid should be at the full line and it will drop as they wear. When you put new pads in the fluid is pushed back up into the reservoir.

As Des said, get a manual and start going through everything in it.
Properly maintained there's no reason your bike shouldn't still feel brand new regardless of its mileage.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2010, 2:34 PM

I suggest if the bike runs great just keep it clean start with that. Like clean the chain and sprockets regularly, check oil levels every month or every two months since ur in Canada its cleaner there and also the consistency of the oil etc. When you feel the oil is getting gritty or losing its stickiness try the oil change urself (its very easy to do) and the oil filter. Still get a manual like the others suggested and should be it. I also couldnt figure out if ur a new rider or an experienced one if the latter is true then this knowledge I just imparted maybe utterly useless for you and I am sorry!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2010, 4:07 PM Thread Starter

this is my 5th bike - used to ride long time ago, back in Ukraine CZ-350, then I had one German made 250cc bike ( do not remember model). Moved to Canada, started riding 3 years ago, cause parking downtown where I work is really bad and expensive. First bought Honda CBR 125 2008, brand new, never had to do anything with it, then moved to Suzuki 500, bought it used. Guy had it in perfect conditions - I just did oil changes every 3000km. Now sold Suzuki, and got Fireblade. (Still keep my Honda CBR 125 - good for driving in traffic sometimes).
post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2010, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

sorry, for asking so many questions, but I also noticed that my left and right signals blink with different frequency, it does not bother me, but I was just curious why is it so.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2010, 4:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
sorry, for asking so many questions, but I also noticed that my left and right signals blink with different frequency, it does not bother me, but I was just curious why is it so.

Usually it indicates a blown bulb.
If all four are flashing though it might be a bad connection on one or the wrong wattage of bulb.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 05-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

I would also recommend buying a Haynes manual...I have one and it is excellent and very comprehensive. Save you lots of $$$ doing basic maint. jobs yourself.
When I got my Blade it was same Km as yours. Being third owner, I had no idea of its service history, so it got new pads, brake fluid, tyres, oil, new filters and plugs. New plugs made a big difference.
******I had links in this post to Honda site pdf but mods have deleted the link.*******
Do not see how posting a link to a official Honda website publication can be a "breach of copyright". WTF ? Not as if it was being republished here, was just a helpful link. Oh well, thats moderators for you. Sometimes they need a reality check.
Cheers.

Last edited by Jacker; 05-22-2010 at 8:59 AM. Reason: where did the pdf links go ??overzealous mods ?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Or one of your resistors are shot are these aftermarket blinkers? if they arent then yes something wrong with the connection
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 4:07 PM Thread Starter

Guy that I bought motorcycle from did some mods on the bike - removed rear fender and put some aftermarket one - basically no fender just 2 blinkers, apparently aftermarket (he removed rear seat lock as well and now I can not lock it, where am I suppose to keep my registration and insurance?). I have not look at the blinkers carefully yet, where resistors are located?
What I have done so far to the bike - changed oil/oil filter and put new air filter. Oil was not too bad, but air filter definitely was VERY dirty, I wonder if it ever been changed. Next on my list is to put new spar plugs and do radiator flush. One of my friend recommended filling rad with vinegar and let stand for a while before filling with new coolant. What do you guys think of that?
Alex
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Guy that I bought motorcycle from did some mods on the bike - removed rear fender and put some aftermarket one - basically no fender just 2 blinkers, apparently aftermarket (he removed rear seat lock as well and now I can not lock it, where am I suppose to keep my registration and insurance?). I have not look at the blinkers carefully yet, where resistors are located?
What I have done so far to the bike - changed oil/oil filter and put new air filter. Oil was not too bad, but air filter definitely was VERY dirty, I wonder if it ever been changed. Next on my list is to put new spar plugs and do radiator flush. One of my friend recommended filling rad with vinegar and let stand for a while before filling with new coolant. What do you guys think of that?
Alex
You have to carry registration and insurance?
Here insurance is included in our registration but we don't have to carry it since it's all on computer anyway. We don't even have to carry our driver's licence unless we're in another state.
Just drain the coolant, flush through with water and fill with coolant again. I can't see any benefit to putting vinegar or anything else through it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
maintenace fireblade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page