929 GP style exhaust...can i remove the flapper? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 1:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

929 GP style exhaust...can i remove the flapper?

im building a custom exhaust for my 01 929rr and i need to run a baffled pipe right where the flapper part is, if i leave it in i wont have room for it. does anyone know what this does and what will be the effects of removing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 2:08 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929 GP style exhaust...can i remove the flapper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwozzy View Post
im building a custom exhaust for my 01 929rr and i need to run a baffled pipe right where the flapper part is, if i leave it in i wont have room for it. does anyone know what this does and what will be the effects of removing it?
It's not a flapper, it's the HTEV.
It boosts midrange so you'll lose some midrange if you remove it.
It sounds like you're doing a very short muffler though and that will likely cost you even more midrange.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 3:12 PM Thread Starter

crappy, thanks tho, im doing a megaphone out of the side but i dont want to run it straight pipe, i don't want it to be ear peircing loud so im trying to fit in some 1 1/2" harly davidson baffled pipes between the "HTEV" and the bend to the megaphone but it if i leave that in it leaves me about 10" to weld up a 4 into one pipe and try to fit some baffled pipe before the bend... not gonna happen, is there a way to accomidate removing that? power commander or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 3:15 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
crappy, thanks tho, im doing a megaphone out of the side but i dont want to run it straight pipe, i don't want it to be ear peircing loud so im trying to fit in some 1 1/2" harly davidson baffled pipes between the "HTEV" and the bend to the megaphone but it if i leave that in it leaves me about 10" to weld up a 4 into one pipe and try to fit some baffled pipe before the bend... not gonna happen, is there a way to accomidate removing that? power commander or something?

You'll need a PC anyway but it'll certainly help with good custom mapping.
I'd just remove the HTEV. It's a 900cc engine so it's got more than enough midrange anyway.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 3:35 PM

Reputation Power: 15

so you going to do what i did in some way im just watting on that PCIII to make me some maps
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 3:48 PM Thread Starter

kinda but not really, im trying to accomplise the look of the r6's and the gsxr with nothing showing but the slash cut tip but theres so little room to work if i leave the HTEV, i hate obnociousely loud bikes and i like to hear myself think while im riding so im trying to fab up some sort of silincer/baffle before the bend where it would come out of the plastics
post #7 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 9:27 PM

Reputation Power: 15

well mine is not that loud its just loud Enough
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 3:15 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
kinda but not really, im trying to accomplise the look of the r6's and the gsxr with nothing showing but the slash cut tip but theres so little room to work if i leave the HTEV, i hate obnociousely loud bikes and i like to hear myself think while im riding so im trying to fab up some sort of silincer/baffle before the bend where it would come out of the plastics
Have you considered getting an R6 or GSXR muffler and modifying that to fit?

post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

that was my original plan but i looked at some microfiches of both and they look much to big to try to fit in under and around the oil pan, if you seem to think a good mapping will accomidate the removal of that HTEV then thats probably what im going to do, that will leave me enough room to run the 4 into 2 pipe right of the header, 2 baffle pipes aprox 8"each side by side then a 2 into one pipe right before the bend

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page