'02 954RR fork problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2010, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

'02 954RR fork problem

Hi folks, I need help with my '02 954RR and this seems the best place to get it. I have a leak on the left fork from wheelies, stoppies etc. Bought new seals and replaced one so far without a problem. On assembly though, when I put the allen-bolt into the fork damper through the bottom of the fork, it turns at finger pressure but nowhere near 25 ft lbs. I've used a makeshift damper holder to keep the internal parts from spinning with the bolt but now it won't even come back out to see what the problem is. Yes, I made sure the centering cap was installed before I slid the assembly in place. It's like the bolt went all the way through the threaded portion and out the other side. I can't tighten or remove the bolt now so I'm dead in the water. Please tell me this is a stupid mistake that is easy to correct.

Last edited by Ramjet-954RR; 05-21-2010 at 3:35 PM. Reason: missing word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: '02 954RR fork problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet-954RR View Post
Hi folks, I need help with my '02 954RR and this seems the best place to get it. I have a leak on the left fork from wheelies, stoppies etc. Bought new seals and replaced one so far without a problem. On assembly though, when I put the allen-bolt into the fork damper through the bottom of the fork, it turns at finger pressure but nowhere near 25 ft lbs. I've used a makeshift damper holder to keep the internal parts from spinning with the bolt but now it won't even come back out to see what the problem is. Yes, I made sure the centering cap was installed before I slid the assembly in place. It's like the bolt went all the way through the threaded portion and out the other side. I can't tighten or remove the bolt now so I'm dead in the water. Please tell me this is a stupid mistake that is easy to correct.
Is this with the spring and fork cap installed?
Have you tried a rattle gun?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 9:47 AM Thread Starter

No, this is without the spring and cap installed. The manual says it should be torqued to 25 Ft/lbs before putting in the oil, spring, etc. The Damper is "attached" to the bolt but it won't tighten at all. It spins with the bolt unless held still but I can't tighten or remove it now. The bolt originally went in finger tight and now just spins. I'm thinking of having the bolt drilled out, removing the Damper and seeing just what happened; but if the bolt is inside the Damper, how can I remove it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, this is without the spring and cap installed. The manual says it should be torqued to 25 Ft/lbs before putting in the oil, spring, etc. The Damper is "attached" to the bolt but it won't tighten at all. It spins with the bolt unless held still but I can't tighten or remove it now. The bolt originally went in finger tight and now just spins. I'm thinking of having the bolt drilled out, removing the Damper and seeing just what happened; but if the bolt is inside the Damper, how can I remove it?
I never torque the damper rod bolt up until after everything is together.
That way the spring pressure holds it in place and it tightens up just fine.
I'd try that first before looking at trying to get it out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I reassembled the entire shock minus the oil and tried it again; same thing. I went ahead and disassembled the right shock to check for 'dumb errors' and found I had put it back together correctly with the exception of the oil seal. It was installed upside down from normal since I followed the manual instead of my memory. Note to others: the written side of the oil seal does NOT face up; have it face the axle, not the handlebars. I still have a spinning allen bolt that will not tighten up or come out. BTW, the right side tightened up like a charm. I also found out the bolt CANNOT thread all the way through the Damper like I thought had happened since it tapers down to a small hole. All I can think of is the end of the Damper came loose from the housing and is turning inside it.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I reassembled the entire shock minus the oil and tried it again; same thing. I went ahead and disassembled the right shock to check for 'dumb errors' and found I had put it back together correctly with the exception of the oil seal. It was installed upside down from normal since I followed the manual instead of my memory. Note to others: the written side of the oil seal does NOT face up; have it face the axle, not the handlebars. I still have a spinning allen bolt that will not tighten up or come out. BTW, the right side tightened up like a charm. I also found out the bolt CANNOT thread all the way through the Damper like I thought had happened since it tapers down to a small hole. All I can think of is the end of the Damper came loose from the housing and is turning inside it.
It's not a shock absorber, it's a telescopic fork.
Towards the axle is "up" - unless you've found a way of keeping the oil in the fork with the fork up the right way?
If you still can't tighten or loosen the bolt I can only suggest it's stripped?
Try a rattle gun to remove it.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 2:59 PM Thread Starter

Problem fixed; a friend at the Honda shop hit it with his air-wrench and handed it back to me. It seems the bolt just needed a little speed to turn it on, just like me. Thanks for your help and next time, I'll know to look into the directions closer before using the tools.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page