Free play in throttle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 5:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Free play in throttle

Hi all, does anyone know how to take the free play out of the throttle grip-its got about 3mm play until it starts to bite. Believe you can take it out with the two little adjusters coming out of the grip-but dont know which one. Any help would be m much appreciated. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 6:27 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Free play in throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Blade View Post
Hi all, does anyone know how to take the free play out of the throttle grip-its got about 3mm play until it starts to bite. Believe you can take it out with the two little adjusters coming out of the grip-but dont know which one. Any help would be m much appreciated. Cheers.
yes the two adjusters on the cable by the throttle is how you remove the free play. Usually you can adjust the top and remove the slack. Sometimes though you have to adjust both a little or the throttle wont snap back when you let go of it. The upper cable opens the throttle and the lower one snaps the throttle grip back to idle
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 6:35 PM Thread Starter

Cheers mate-much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 8:26 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Blade View Post
My service manual says that there should be 2-6mm of free play in the throttle cable. I wouldn't take all of the freeplay out. I think that is to ensure that everything snaps completely shut when you let off the throttle. If you have 3 mm of freeplay, I would leave it alone.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 9:09 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkato View Post
My service manual says that there should be 2-6mm of free play in the throttle cable. I wouldn't take all of the freeplay out. I think that is to ensure that everything snaps completely shut when you let off the throttle. If you have 3 mm of freeplay, I would leave it alone.
They recommend this for safety reasons. With the no free play the throttle can be very tricky for a beginner rider or even some experienced riders to control. Some people like myself don't like the free play and it is perfectly fine to remove it. All you have to do is make sure that you don't have it so tight that the throttle wont return back to idle or that the RPM doesn't change when you move the bars from lock to lock. If they do then you have the cables a hair to tight.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys-i realise the manual says there should be a certain amount of 'play' in it but i dont like it like this. My previous bikes had hardly any play in them-suppose i just got used to it being like this. Thanks again.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 5:46 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I know this is an old thread but I have a question about this topic. I have some play on my throttle also, I was just wondering what exactly do you do to adjust it. I see the two cables, the top and bottom one, coming out by the throttle, but what nuts to you tighten/loosen? Where are they located on the cable? Pictures would be aweome.

EDIT: I have an 02 954rr if that helps
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 7:06 PM

Take off the filter box and you should see the two cables from the throttle have a set of adjustment nuts between the centre throttle bodies(should be the same on the 954). Took my play off today.

P.S. Doing it this way allows you to be sure your throttle is closing properly on release as you can see into the throttle bodies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page