I need help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 9:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via Yahoo to grgoyle1229
I need help!

Hi Guys,
Ok i found the cam chain tensioner on my 954rr and i have no idea how i am going to get it out. I can get to one bolt that holds it on but the top bolt is blocked by the frame of the bike from the bottom and the wiring is in the way if i pull the tank and try to come at it from above. I really need some help on how to get the dang thing out! Has anyone had to change this out on a 2002 954rr before and if so how the heck did you do it?
Regards,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 9:41 PM

Re: I need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgoyle1229 View Post
Hi Guys,
Ok i found the cam chain tensioner on my 954rr and i have no idea how i am going to get it out. I can get to one bolt that holds it on but the top bolt is blocked by the frame of the bike from the bottom and the wiring is in the way if i pull the tank and try to come at it from above. I really need some help on how to get the dang thing out! Has anyone had to change this out on a 2002 954rr before and if so how the heck did you do it?
Regards,
David
A few things:
1. Remove the tank.
2. Pull the throttle body
3. Remove the cam chain tensioner seal bolt.

4. Need a Cam Chain Tensioner Holder (Special Tool), turn the shaft clockwise and secure it with the holder tool.
5.Remove the bolts and pull out the tensioner.

If you don't have the tool, I would not recommend it as you could damage the chain. Good Luck.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 9:46 PM Thread Starter

Really I have to remove the tank and the throttle body? And when you say remove cam chain tensioner seal bolt do you mean the bolthead that sticks out the back of the tensioner? also where do i get the tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Really I have to remove the tank and the throttle body? And when you say remove cam chain tensioner seal bolt do you mean the bolthead that sticks out the back of the tensioner? also where do i get the tool?
You actually had me second guessing myself, so I consulted my service manual. BTW - If you plan on doing a lot of work on your bike I highly recommend buying one.

To answer the question - Yes, the bolt head that sticks out the back of the tensioner. That is where the holder tool plugs in to remove the tension before you pull the tensioner out.

Cam Chain tensioner holder - Part# 07ZMG-MCAA400
post #5 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I just pulled the tank and im not sure i am comfortable doing this one on my own. I may just take it to the shop. I cannot figure out what to pull next, the big black box that is under the tank? how do i get that monster out and then i have to pull the throttle body out too? it seems like there should be a better way of doing this. That is alot of crap to have to remove just to get to one bolt.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Im not doubting you it just seems like alot of work. I was originally told this was as easy as 2 bolts and now it seems i was misinformed! So now the tank is lose whats next throttle body? how does that bad boy come out?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Im not doubting you it just seems like alot of work. I was originally told this was as easy as 2 bolts and now it seems i was misinformed! So now the tank is lose whats next throttle body? how does that bad boy come out?
Put the bike back together for now... Head to the shop and take a look at the service manual so you know what you are getting into before you begin to disassemble your machine. Get a visual of what you doing first, this isn't something I would be comfortable walking you through on a message board.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

well that stinks. any ideas of what a bike shop may charge for something like this?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
well that stinks. any ideas of what a bike shop may charge for something like this?
I'm not saying don't do it yourself... Just go do a little recon work first. Get a visual on what you are about to do before you do it. Most of the time they will let you look at the book for free. However, consider buying the book if you plan on doing much more than routine maintenance.

It's the most important tool in my toolbox.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it. I really dont have the cash to pay someone so I will follow your recommendation and find a manual to check it out. This is my 3rd year on the 954 and I love it. I plan to keep it for a long time so perhaps I should find that tool and also get a manual. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
David E. Byard
post #11 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Wow, I just pulled the tank and im not sure i am comfortable doing this one on my own. I may just take it to the shop. I cannot figure out what to pull next, the big black box that is under the tank? how do i get that monster out and then i have to pull the throttle body out too? it seems like there should be a better way of doing this. That is alot of crap to have to remove just to get to one bolt.

Your lack of familiarity leads me to ask why are you replacing the tensioner?
How did you determine it's bad?
Are fitting a new OEM tensioner or a manual one?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #12 of 13 Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Good question... I should have headed there first.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-25-2010, 9:15 AM Thread Starter

I can hear it knocking upon start up but after awhile it slowly disappears. It has always done this for a second or two but it is continously getting worse and even after it gois away i can still hear what sounds kinda like ticking but i believe that to be from the loose chain. Believe it or not i am actually rather mechanical I have just never worked on this CBR before. I have researched through the past posts and even found a youtube video that displayed the same bike running and the sounds it made sounded exactly like mine. After that and hearing how notorious CBR's are for their cam chain tensioner I figured at 13000 miles I may as well go ahead and replace it.
I am installing a new OEM tensioner as well as I like to keep the bike as close to original as possible.
So any more advice is appreciated!
Regards,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page