blade trouble's.(also new member hello) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-26-2010, 3:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

blade trouble's.(also new member hello)

hi all,firstly newby to the forum so hi to all hope every one is fine and good,o.k. i have problem and i've been seaching the forum for answers and have lots of conflicting info so i have sighned up to see if i can resolve the matter.

so here we go,i have owned my blade for the past 4 years,it is a 918 rrv (1997/8)with 009234 mile's on the clock so it's still like new but a bit dusty due to being stood for 12 months and lack of time to use but it's not been neglected,er much.in the start of my ownership it was totally standard with no mods and ran well.all i have done was to fit a blue flame can and a k&n pannle filter.not a problem there, i think, until of late? i took her out on sunday for a scoot and found she would'nt accelerate very well and had trouble pulling away form the lights(had to rev it a quite a bit harder) and even then she didnt like it,so on go's the thinking cap. here's what i've found so far and i could do with a bit of help to decide what to go for first,

first i thought i might be dirt stuck on or in the carbs so carb cleaner was used , i have'nt opened them up i just spayed it though while the bike was runnig,then i went at the plug's. three of them are black as hell and one was a black and tan colour.so i've ordered 4 iridium ngk's.now could the exhaust end can cause the over fueling ??? or the hi flow filter ??? or both at the same time or is this more likely to be a carb problem ???

also, hang on, i know this is quite big for a first post but some one will be into this some were,lol.also i had to charge the battery before i could take the bike out it had been disconected from the bike while it was stored but had still lost power,when i started the bike it was fine to my knowlage.after this problem stared and i was cleanig the carbs,i noticed that i could here the battery fizzing after i shut the engine off,(looks like a new battery too!)

could this cause a week spark thus causing unburnt fuel and the over fueling/running rich,if thats what is happening ???any thought's would be gladly accepted,thanks to all in advance, tony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-26-2010, 3:12 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Re: blade trouble's.(also new member hello)

Hi and , think your on the right track with it being the carbs, their probably gunked up. Would suggest cleaning them properly,if their really gunked just spraying cleaner into them wont shift it. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-26-2010, 3:17 PM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 3:56 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4tony View Post
hi all,firstly newby to the forum so hi to all hope every one is fine and good,o.k. i have problem and i've been seaching the forum for answers and have lots of conflicting info so i have sighned up to see if i can resolve the matter.

so here we go,i have owned my blade for the past 4 years,it is a 918 rrv (1997/8)with 009234 mile's on the clock so it's still like new but a bit dusty due to being stood for 12 months and lack of time to use but it's not been neglected,er much.in the start of my ownership it was totally standard with no mods and ran well.all i have done was to fit a blue flame can and a k&n pannle filter.not a problem there, i think, until of late? i took her out on sunday for a scoot and found she would'nt accelerate very well and had trouble pulling away form the lights(had to rev it a quite a bit harder) and even then she didnt like it,so on go's the thinking cap. here's what i've found so far and i could do with a bit of help to decide what to go for first,

first i thought i might be dirt stuck on or in the carbs so carb cleaner was used , i have'nt opened them up i just spayed it though while the bike was runnig,then i went at the plug's. three of them are black as hell and one was a black and tan colour.so i've ordered 4 iridium ngk's.now could the exhaust end can cause the over fueling ??? or the hi flow filter ??? or both at the same time or is this more likely to be a carb problem ???

also, hang on, i know this is quite big for a first post but some one will be into this some were,lol.also i had to charge the battery before i could take the bike out it had been disconected from the bike while it was stored but had still lost power,when i started the bike it was fine to my knowlage.after this problem stared and i was cleanig the carbs,i noticed that i could here the battery fizzing after i shut the engine off,(looks like a new battery too!)

could this cause a week spark thus causing unburnt fuel and the over fueling/running rich,if thats what is happening ???any thought's would be gladly accepted,thanks to all in advance, tony.
First, the RRV is '97 and is different from the '98 model - '96 and '97 are the same though.
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel tap and see if fuel comes out. It should be dry.
A carburetor is just a pipe that air flows through so spraying carb cleaner through it does nothing to clean any of the carburetor circuits. You will need to disassemble them to clean them.
Check the charging system via the tests detailed in the manual.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 6:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

I'd be more inclined to check the charging system firs... batteries 'fizzing' is not good. Monitor the charge to the battery with a multi-meter, anything over 14.5-15 volts and you will fry everything. Could just be a tired battery giving up the ghost of course, but that is definitely the first thing I would go to given your symptoms.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

hi all,thanks for the input.there was no fuel in the vacume line from the tank and i dont have a manuel to check said charging system is there another way to check it ???
post #7 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 1:24 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
hi all,thanks for the input.there was no fuel in the vacume line from the tank and i dont have a manuel to check said charging system is there another way to check it ???

Get yourself a manual - it's worth every penny.
Put a multimeter across the battery terminals with the engine running and you should have around 14.0-15.5V or thereabouts.

One thing you said earlier was that you've owned the bike for four years but the battery looks new? A four-year-old battery is far from new - especially not on a bike that's only been ridden for twenty hours per year.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

sorry mate you have miss-understood me,i ment that i need a new battery aswell . dont go trying to slate me for the lack of useage it only had 5000 on it when i bought it and there have been good raesons for not riding it that i'm not going into on here.oh and nice calculation's mate,i'm impressed,lmao.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 2:46 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
sorry mate you have miss-understood me,i ment that i need a new battery aswell . dont go trying to slate me for the lack of useage it only had 5000 on it when i bought it and there have been good raesons for not riding it that i'm not going into on here.oh and nice calculation's mate,i'm impressed,lmao.

You mean it was a typo? If so, then I didn't misunderstand you at all, you mistyped.
When was I slating you?
A battery that has been sitting unused for four years is going to give problems.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

It just sounded like like you were about to unload on me for not using the bike,I know that battery's don't last for ever but it was on a drip charger for three years when I was using it and just thought it might ov still been o.k as I. Had tryed to look after it.sorry for the typo mate it was an honest mistake
post #11 of 21 Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Welcome to FB
post #12 of 21 Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

hello all,i have been at it with the bike and thought i would post my finds for you lot to mull over...

first thing was the rubber's on the air box that conect to the carb's,one was'nt fully sealed and the other three were,(with some sort of glue).so i resealed that,then while the tank was off i checked the fuel tap and vacume hose's,all seemed to be fine.put new plugs in and striped the carbs from the bike and got them cleaned propley by a garage

now, i've just put everything back on the bike today and it wont start ??? tryed all sorts to start it,it did start once and ran very lumpy and slow on idle. when i gave it some throttle it just cut out again and has'nt started since ??? any more help would be fantastic,cheers in advance,tony.

p.s. thought you lot might like to see her.
Attached Thumbnails
10052008026.jpg‎  
post #13 of 21 Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Had your tank off? Probably fuel tap vacuum pipe ( or fuel tap). Quick test, turn on fuel, pull the vacuum pipe fron No. 2 cylinger inlet manifold (you can get to it by taking of the middle inspection panel) (it is there isn't it?) and the carburettor supply pipe off the tap, then suck on the vacuum pipe. Fuel should come out of the tap. No fuel, bad diaphram, fuel out, then undo a drain screw at the bottom of a carb you can reach easily. Fuel should dribble out. Fuel out, probably ignition, no fuel, blocked filter.
No ignition, tank off I'm afraid. Take off a plug top, use an old plug or something metal that will clip into the cap connector. Crank it over and check for spark. No spark, check the connections to the coils. Other culprits are the kill switch and the sidestand cut-off switch. After that it might get to be an expensive ECU.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
Had your tank off? Probably fuel tap vacuum pipe ( or fuel tap). Quick test, turn on fuel, pull the vacuum pipe fron No. 2 cylinger inlet manifold (you can get to it by taking of the middle inspection panel) (it is there isn't it?) and the carburettor supply pipe off the tap, then suck on the vacuum pipe. Fuel should come out of the tap. No fuel, bad diaphram, fuel out, then undo a drain screw at the bottom of a carb you can reach easily. Fuel should dribble out. Fuel out, probably ignition, no fuel, blocked filter.
No ignition, tank off I'm afraid. Take off a plug top, use an old plug or something metal that will clip into the cap connector. Crank it over and check for spark. No spark, check the connections to the coils. Other culprits are the kill switch and the sidestand cut-off switch. After that it might get to be an expensive ECU.

If the diaphram is bad then you don't need to suck on the vacuum line as fuel will flow out under gravity.
It's much better to use a new plug when checking for spark.

post #15 of 21 Old 05-30-2010, 2:17 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Quote:
It just sounded like like you were about to unload on me for not using the bike,I know that battery's don't last for ever but it was on a drip charger for three years when I was using it and just thought it might ov still been o.k as I. Had tryed to look after it.sorry for the typo mate it was an honest mistake
Are you a complete idiot ? ? ? You have asked a question on the forum for some help/advice on your problem.....And then you have a go at people for helping you...and now you say its been on trickle charge for 3 years!! Are you real/sane ???

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page