PC V on '08 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2010, 3:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

PC V on '08

My RR8 is still stock, engine-wise, i.e. std exhaust and air filter etc, but I'm thinking of fitting a PC V, because:-

- At around 4000 rpm on a fixed throttle it 'hunts' slightly.

- I want to use Dynojet's QuickShifter.

Has anyone fitted a PC V to a stock bike and what improvement did it make - if any?

What map did you use?

Hoping to tap into other's experience before I launch into it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-27-2010, 6:20 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: PC V on '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKenGB View Post
My RR8 is still stock, engine-wise, i.e. std exhaust and air filter etc, but I'm thinking of fitting a PC V, because:-

- At around 4000 rpm on a fixed throttle it 'hunts' slightly.

- I want to use Dynojet's QuickShifter.

Has anyone fitted a PC V to a stock bike and what improvement did it make - if any?

What map did you use?

Hoping to tap into other's experience before I launch into it myself.
I have never used the PC V but I have run the Bazzaz system on my 06 ZX-10R and it was great. I know for a fact that the Bazzaz system would fix your surging problem that you have. The best benefit you will get out of the PC V or the Bazzaz is a good smooth power delivery. On my ZX-10R I had aftermarket exhaust and I had removed the secondary throttle plates. The bike until I installed the Bazzaz with auto tune ran rough, vibrated a lot at all RPM and all together had what I would call in my untechnical jargon unbalanced fueling. All these problems were solved once I installed the Bazzaz and got the bike tuned. Which I did with the auto tune system so i didn't have to pay for a dyno time. The only problem that I had afterwards was that the bike was so smooth it felt like it had lost some of its killer power and edginess. When in reality it hadn't lost anything. The power delivery was just less abrupt. Oh and you may pick up a few HP but I wouldn't buy the system if that is all your looking for.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-27-2010, 6:42 PM

our bikes are tuned lean from the factory . as the temp goes up the ECU leans even more. yes even stock bike's benefit from fuel control. your butt dyno might not tell ya, but if you had a AFR gauge plummed in line, it would. btw ,
i use the PCV and the Auto tune on both my track/race bikes. either systems would work, the PCV is more tuner friendly imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 3:28 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at the Auto Tune module for the PC V, but am not entirely clear of its exact function. As far as I can understand, it uses a wide-band O2 sensor to automatically adjust the mixture, but does that mean there's no need to load a 'map'? Or does it use a special map that then allows it to auto-tune? And does it allow adjustment over and above what it automatically determines to be correct and if so, doesn't that mean you're back to needing a dyno to get the best from it?
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 8:43 PM

well, you load a map ( from dyno jet, fuel moto etc) which is your base map. the auto tune , when enabled , suggest a "trim" to the map you are running on. on the PC111 if you had a dyno map and made any changes, say diff. pipe/ intake stacks, you would have to re-dyno the changes. the auto tune does all that for ya, so you can upgrade in stages .oh yea, diff. weather /tracks, you can make maps for each gear also.

zero gravity windscreen. reverse / gp shift/ -1 down front sprocket/ speedo drd corrector. bazzaz z-bomb yosh case/stem nut/ oil fill/hotbodies under tail, rideit blk. long levers , sato street hooks, intergrated smoke tail lite lens, HRC solo cowl,yosh carbon/carbon R-77 pipe.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-29-2010, 4:02 AM Thread Starter

I'm liking the idea already:-)

Can anyone tell me though, does a UK RR8 have an O2 sensor in the stock exhaust?

I'm thinking it does and I've not looked hard on the bike for it, but if someone already knows, perhaps you could save me the bother. If it doesn't, I'll have to weld on DJ's mounting boss, but I'm hoping I won't need to do that.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-29-2010, 4:09 AM Thread Starter

On a slightly different note about the PC V, anyone got any comments about the best QuickShifter sensor to use? i.e. fitted to the rod and plugs into the PC V - not talking about any ignition cut module here.

DJ's own sensor is the obvious choice, but there is also the one from HM. They are basically interchangeable, but has anyone any experience of either/both that suggests one might be better than the other?

I also read somewhere that the PowerCommander's QS function doesn't work well at high RPM and an ignition cut system is better. Anyone any comments about this?
post #8 of 13 Old 05-29-2010, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKenGB View Post
I'm liking the idea already:-)

Can anyone tell me though, does a UK RR8 have an O2 sensor in the stock exhaust?

I'm thinking it does and I've not looked hard on the bike for it, but if someone already knows, perhaps you could save me the bother. If it doesn't, I'll have to weld on DJ's mounting boss, but I'm hoping I won't need to do that.
just a note, the DJ is mild steel, the Bazzaz is stainless steel.

zero gravity windscreen. reverse / gp shift/ -1 down front sprocket/ speedo drd corrector. bazzaz z-bomb yosh case/stem nut/ oil fill/hotbodies under tail, rideit blk. long levers , sato street hooks, intergrated smoke tail lite lens, HRC solo cowl,yosh carbon/carbon R-77 pipe.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-2010, 8:49 AM Thread Starter

OK, here's another question.

Since the PC V needs an additional module to work as a QuickShifter (on 8 injector bikes like the RR8), would it be better instead to use a PC V with the ignition cut module? Same number of boxes to add, but which is a better or worse idea?

Anyone used either setup?
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2010, 4:31 PM

Reputation Power: 0

The UK 08/09 blades have an O2 sensor on the stock exhaust. I fitted a PCV for a yoshi r77, with this mod you do away with the O2 sensor by plugging a resistor into the ECU circuit to make it "think it's still there", load up the PCV map for the pipe and away you go.

Look at the muffler from the sidestand side, the O2 sensor is facing the left hand fairing just infront of the rear wheel. The wiring runs back around the left hand side engine casing to a connector block just under the fuel tank.

Repper
post #11 of 13 Old 05-30-2010, 3:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I'll have a good look today.

In fact I WANT there to be a sensor because the Auto Tune module uses a sensor, so good news:-)
post #12 of 13 Old 05-30-2010, 6:45 AM

you shure the threads/ pitch are the same ? a wide band has a 18mm-1.5 pitch. i belive a o2 is diff. just saying.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-30-2010, 9:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlD View Post
you shure the threads/ pitch are the same ? a wide band has a 18mm-1.5 pitch. i belive a o2 is diff. just saying.
Ah, good point. I'll have to see what DJ say about that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page