My day at the track! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 1:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

My day at the track!

Here's my slow butt at the track! Heh heh heh, I really need to learn how to ride better. I did improve from a 2:22 in the morning to a 2:08 on my last run. Man, trackdays are addicting!

Rick

Last edited by K9inAZ; 03-05-2007 at 8:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 1:55 AM

Re: My day at the track!

Did you at least get a knee down? Looks like fun
post #3 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

I've gotten a knee down twice. Once on my highside and once on my lowside, I'm getting quite good at crashing.

I'm working on corner speed and braking later. I have quite a few issues with my track riding that I'm trying to clear up. It gives me an excuse to goto more trackdays!!!

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 2:09 AM

That's not what I had in mind

Glad to see you're back on the seat.

I must do a track day this year.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 2:13 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Nce framesliders.

Be fast or be last.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 2:20 AM

Which track were you at?
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 3:59 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8mondays
Which track were you at?
Arizona motorsports park a track day on the 11th I didn't make it

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 9:50 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9inAZ
Here's my slow butt at the track! Heh heh heh, I really need to learn how to ride better. I did improve from a 2:22 in the morning to a 2:08 on my last run. Man, trackdays are addicting!
Rick
What I see is typical new track rider mistakes. sitting 'up' on the bike with 'elbows locked'. Loosen up so there is ZERO weight on your hands and drop your chest down a bit. Also don't be afraid to....and this I have said 10 billion times to people.....get your ass OFF the seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the bikes suspension work, don't let your body/arms become a steering damper, it just makes the bike wobble. Not getting off the seat just makes you crash.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #9 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 10:41 AM

I want to hit AMP in the future. Hear good things about it. Now get ready to spend every spare dime and more on track time...Good job looking through the turn..
post #10 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 12:17 PM

CBRbob:

Do yo think a new track rider should worry about getting his ass off the seat or concentrate on lines an smoothness?

I often see people hang their asses off the seats right away and have problems with it. They'll keep their bodies over the handlebars and have their ass hanging or they'll get so worries about scooting around that they'll blow their lines.

I think it's a case by case basis. I'd rather see soemone relax on the bike. As yo said, unload the wrists, bring the head down, cuve the spine donw instead of up, than worry about where their ass is.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 12:26 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Rick,

Lookin good man. I really need to hit the track as well. I have been getting pointers from local guys as well as a few board members that I ride with all the time. I used to ride just like you in those pics. I sat too close to the tank which didn't allow me to get my ass off the seat. I took the advice of two of my friends and moved further back and bent my arms a bit more and it makes a big difference. Feels different at first but you get used to it quickly. So did yo use your new tires and if so, how did you like them? When is the next track day at AMP? I really want to try the track.

Dano

Dan
post #12 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 12:43 PM

Is that a dark smoke double bubble? I have a smoke double bubble (but I use a clear double bubble for track days) but that picture makes it out as if you can't even see out of it! Nice pics, it's all good if you're having fun. While others are throwing around tips, one thing that really helped me was the tip of pressuring the footpegs. Applying pressure to the outside footpeg helps stabilize/straighten the bike during hard inside turns. I found this helped me as I used to continously have to steer/re-steer going through corners to adjust the bike's position, where applying pressure to the outside peg helped tremendously in keeping the angle, straightening the bike so I could lean off more. Just my 2 cents, from a rookie
post #13 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 1:16 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Hanging off takes some getting used to and will probably become more necessary the faster you get. A good illustration Pridmore uses is to think of the gas cap as an axis. Just rotate your body around that axis. Move yourself around with your lower body rather than your arms. Keeps unwanted inputs down.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #14 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 1:45 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeek
Do yo think a new track rider should worry about getting his ass off the seat or concentrate on lines an smoothness?
I often see people hang their asses off the seats right away and have problems with it. They'll keep their bodies over the handlebars and have their ass hanging or they'll get so worries about scooting around that they'll blow their lines. I think it's a case by case basis. I'd rather see soemone relax on the bike. As yo said, unload the wrists, bring the head down, cuve the spine donw instead of up, than worry about where their ass is.
I know exactly what you mean. But what I see here is zero body movement. I have told hundreds of people to get off the seat and the next time out, they move 2 inches over. Thats fine, its a start. We all know if you dont move around a little bit you will have to lean the bike excessively to make a turn at a given speed where if you moved over 6 inches (REALLY not that much) it helps make the bike move. Body movement at speed is part of smooth riding. You don't have to be off so far your elbows drag, but it needs to be done at the track.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #15 of 21 Old 01-14-2004, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9inAZ
Here's my slow butt at the track! Heh heh heh, I really need to learn how to ride better. ... Man, trackdays are addicting!
So you're coming to Grattan, right???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page