make my 954 faster - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 121 Old 06-18-2010, 3:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via Yahoo to kahlilj
make my 954 faster

I have searched threads on here for tips/ideas on how to make my 954 run faster. I was under the impression that these bikes could reach top speeds of ~165-170 mph stock. I have had mine for a couple of years & have only had the chance to open it up for top end runs a few times & each time it has struggled to reach 150 -155. I bought the bike used with 20k miles on it. it seems to run ok, but am wondering what could be wrong with it?

I have checked the plugs, oil & filters. They are fine & have been changed. it also came with a techlusion fuel injection module, but I have it turned completely down (i.e. off).

I saw a thread on here suggesting to check the fuel pressure regulator. any suggestions on what can be done to improve top end performance or what stock parts need to be checked thoroughly?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 06-18-2010, 4:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: make my 954 faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
I have searched threads on here for tips/ideas on how to make my 954 run faster. I was under the impression that these bikes could reach top speeds of ~165-170 mph stock. I have had mine for a couple of years & have only had the chance to open it up for top end runs a few times & each time it has struggled to reach 150 -155. I bought the bike used with 20k miles on it. it seems to run ok, but am wondering what could be wrong with it?

I have checked the plugs, oil & filters. They are fine & have been changed. it also came with a techlusion fuel injection module, but I have it turned completely down (i.e. off).

I saw a thread on here suggesting to check the fuel pressure regulator. any suggestions on what can be done to improve top end performance or what stock parts need to be checked thoroughly?

Thanks

First you need to determine if your speed measurement is accurate.
How did you measure your speed?
What size rear tyre are you running?
What size front and rear sprockets are you running?
Why have you turned the fuel injection module off?
Any other modifications to the bike?
Definately check your fuel pressure regulator.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 121 Old 06-18-2010, 1:31 PM Thread Starter

Blade,
I read my spred from my speedometer. i turned off the fuel injection module because i believe it was causing the bike to run too rich (bad mpg & exhaust pipe smell). the only mod to the bike that i know of is the micron exhaust can.

i will have to check the other info (tire size, sprocket teeth,) when i get home this evening. thanks!

anything else to check out?

Last edited by kahlilj; 06-03-2015 at 3:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 121 Old 06-18-2010, 5:40 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Blade,
I read my sped from my speedometer. i turned off the fuel injection module because i believe it was causing the bike to run too rich (bad mpg & exhaust pipe smell). the only mod to the bike that i know of is the micron exhaust can.

i will have to check the other info (tire size, sprocket teeth,) when i get home this evening. thanks!

anything else to check out?

It sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is shot.
When you turn the ignition on does the fuel pump prime for a few seconds and then stop or does it keep running?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Quote:

Thanks

How much do you weigh?
post #6 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Reputation Power: 14

When was the last time you changed the sparkplugs? Are they the 'correct' ones?

It really could be just that simple.
post #7 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehinge View Post
When was the last time you changed the sparkplugs? Are they the 'correct' ones?

It really could be just that simple.

He already checked the plugs... read the original post
post #8 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 1:50 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Im about 290 no clothes, so about 310 with, and my 954 doesn't struggle to reach 155 when i want it to. Maybe a lil i guess but it gets there pretty damn quick though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
How much do you weigh?
post #9 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 5:13 PM

Reputation Power: 12

let me just state for the record: i'm no engineer. not even remotely close. however, i would think when 310lbs is approaching the speed of sound for a motorcycle at 155mph a coefficient drag and lack of aerodynamics come into play, hindering any additional effort of the throttle. i could be wrong, however, i do not think its any freak accident that Moto GP and Superbike riders weigh no more than 135lbs. There is a science somewhere in there regarding weight distribution, drag, and aerodynamics, and there are plenty of people on this forum who can better elaborate on this subject. my guess, however, is that there is nothing wrong with your bike because, you are only around 12mph-15mph away from top end anyway. its also important to know if you still have the original size front and rear sprockets on the bike? personally, i wouldn't worry about an extra 12mph unless your racing for money. shaving even so much as 10lbs off a sportsbike can have dramatic effects on power, and that's why the bike manufacctures spend millions in research trying to shave a gram here and there, wherever they can.

Last edited by frank; 06-20-2010 at 6:04 AM.
post #10 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 5:26 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
let me just state for the record: i'm no engineer. not even remotely close. however, i would think when 310lbs is approaching the speed of sound for a motorcycle at 155mph a coefficient drag, and lack of aerodynamics come into play, hindering any additional effort of the throttle. i could be wrong, however, i do not think its any freak accident that Moto GP and Superbike riders weigh no more than 135lbs. There is a science somewhere in there regarding weight distribution, drag, and aerodynamics. However, there are plenty of people on this forum who can better elaborate on this subject. my guess, however, is that there is nothing wrong with your bike because, you are only around 12mph-15mph away frm top end anyway, and that is if you still have the original size front and rear sprockets. personally, i wouldn't worry about an extra 12mph unless your racing for money. shaving even so much as 10lbs off a sportsbike can have dramatic effects on power, and that's why the bike manufacctures spend millions in research trying to shave a gram here and there, wherever they can.
Certainly at that sort of weight and/or size aerodynamic drag would come into play. A countering factor though would be that your speedo would probably read high because of a smaller rolling radius of the rear tyre unless you increase the pressure to compensate.
Racers are light and small because both contribute to higher top speeds, faster acceleration, higher corner speed and better tyre wear and fuel economy.
I agree that the top speed is largely irrelevant as you will rarely if ever use it, but it can indicate potential problems that might otherwise not become apparent until they're much worse.

post #11 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 5:35 PM

Reputation Power: 11

loose some unsprung weight......i weight 220 lbs with my 600 F4i i have reached top speed of 165 mph..then it started to cut off....

Our House is Protected By the Good Lord and a Gun, and You might Meet them both If you show up here Unwelcome son.
post #12 of 121 Old 06-19-2010, 5:38 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
loose some unsprung weight......i weight 220 lbs with my 600 F4i i have reached top speed of 165 mph..then it started to cut off....
Your size affects your top speed but not your weight. That affects your acceleration.
Unsprung weight is everything below the springs. Everything resting on the springs is sprung weight. Unsprung weight is more about handling than speed. The bigger the difference between your sprung and unsprung weight, the more accurately you can tune the suspension which is why lightweight wheels make such a big difference.

post #13 of 121 Old 06-20-2010, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

Wow! this discussion really took off. sorry my 6 day per week 10 hour day work schedule has limited my time for immediate follow up, but I really appreciate everyone's help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
First you need to determine if your speed measurement is accurate.
What size rear tyre are you running?
What size front and rear sprockets are you running?
Why have you turned the fuel injection module off?
Any other modifications to the bike?
Definately check your fuel pressure regulator.
My rear tire is 195/55 -17. I think this is 1plus from stock (190/50?), but not sure this difference could give a substantially different result in numbers like I'm seeing. I checked this website out which compares different tire sizes:
Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

The 195 tire is just under 1" bigger diameter than stock & at 65mph my indicated speed is 2.5 mph faster. if this function is linear then does this mean at ~150 mph that my bike is running a lot slower than indicated?? Geez this is getting worse! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
How much do you weigh?
My weight fluctuates between 180 & 190 lbs. I never really considered weight being an issue in my case, but thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehinge View Post
When was the last time you changed the sparkplugs? Are they the 'correct' ones? It really could be just that simple.
As stated before, I had already checked them & although they are fine. I went ahead & ordered some new ones today anyway (NGK Iridium IMR9C-9H). I've had the bike for a while & they have not been changed in over 2 years - but I have put less than 6k miles on it during this time.

Quote:
...I agree that the top speed is largely irrelevant as you will rarely if ever use it, but it can indicate potential problems that might otherwise not become apparent until they're much worse.
Well stated blade & my sentiments exactly. That's pretty much why I feel knowing the top speed is important though not critical for day to day riding or "getting after it" in the twisties. I just didn't think it was necessary to express it, but after reading your response i see that it can help others to understand our shared perspective

Quote:
It sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is shot.
When you turn the ignition on does the fuel pump prime for a few seconds and then stop or does it keep running?
Ii think the primer is working fine is shuts down within a few seconds after turning the ignition on. However I read my repair manual for checking the FPR (fuel press. reg) & the pre-checks. MAN is it involved! I'll need to get more tools for doing this. Basically, it states to check the fuel flow first by measuring it for a few seconds. Has anyone else done this? If so how did you do it differently than stated in the manual? any pointers?

Also they said you will need a press. gauge. What kind of gauge have you used? (i.e. fitting size & press. range,etc.) ?

Any other pointers are welcomed!
post #14 of 121 Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
My rear tire is 195/55 -17. I think this is 1plus from stock (190/50?), but not sure this difference could give a substantially different result in numbers like I'm seeing. I checked this website out which compares different tire sizes:
Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

The 195 tire is just under 1" bigger diameter than stock & at 65mph my indicated speed is 2.5 mph faster. if this function is linear then does this mean at ~150 mph that my bike is running a lot slower than indicated?? Geez this is getting worse! lol!
Yep, 195/55 is 24.5mm larger diameter than the 190/50 and about 4% longer circumference and 4% higher (than the normal inaccurate) speedo reading. The speedo is merely counting rpm of the wheel so anything that changes the circumference of the tyre or the traction of the tyre will alter the speedo reading.

Quote:
As stated before, I had already checked them & although they are fine. I went ahead & ordered some new ones today anyway (NGK Iridium IMR9C-9H). I've had the bike for a while & they have not been changed in over 2 years - but I have put less than 6k miles on it during this time.
I consider it a wasted effort to check the plugs and put them back in. If you're that far into the bike, replace them anyway. Plugs are cheap enough and can be bad even though they look visually okay.

Quote:
I think the primer is working fine is shuts down within a few seconds after turning the ignition on. However I read my repair manual for checking the FPR (fuel press. reg) & the pre-checks. MAN is it involved! I'll need to get more tools for doing this. Basically, it states to check the fuel flow first by measuring it for a few seconds. Has anyone else done this? If so how did you do it differently than stated in the manual? any pointers?

Also they said you will need a press. gauge. What kind of gauge have you used? (i.e. fitting size & press. range,etc.) ?

Any other pointers are welcomed!

I would still check the FPR anyway as it's a very simple matter of pulling the vacuum line and priming the pump. As long as no fuel comes out it's probably fine.
I wouldn't be concerned about the other tests as they're more about how well it's functioning rather than if the diaphram is torn.
The flow rate test is very straightforward and simply a matter of catching the fuel that comes out of the line over a specific time period.
If you want to pressure test the FPR you will need a gauge that'll read to more than 50psi. You can attach it anywhere in the line between the pump and fuel rail either via an inline fitting or banjo fittings.

post #15 of 121 Old 06-20-2010, 4:51 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I was able to open my 2002 954 up last night...I'm 250lbs and with everything stock but cosmetics (fender eliminator, shaved blinkers) I was able to hit 168 (speedometer indicated) and oddly enough it still felt like it had some left. When I was tucked I felt just a tiny bit of air on my lower back, but other than that everything seemed to be sucked down just right. Not sure what the max speed is supposed to be and I'm not that worried about it as I felt that speed was much more than I'll ever want to be at. Anyway, just thought I'd post since I'm a bigger guy myself.

Edit: Forgot that I bought it with a full
Micron Exhaust and the bike mileage is
now 24k...Might change outlook just a
bit but not a whole lot I'd think.........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page