Is the Ohlins Rear Suspension worth it? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 7:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Is the Ohlins Rear Suspension worth it?

I'm thinking about the Ohlins Rear Suspension seriously but don't really know if I need it or not.

I don't do track days. Mainly because there are no tracks here. So it's mainly street days. My riding is from crusing around town to going ballistic on the highway.

I don't know, what do you think guys is it worth the expense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 7:59 PM

Re: Is the Ohlins Rear Suspension worth it?

Only if you are have problems setting the sag up on your bike. If you aren't doing any hard twisty riding or track stuff, then I would say to save your $. Especially if you aren't going to keep the bike past 16-20k miles, that is usually when the stocker takes a big dump. The Ohlins unit is easy rebuildable unlike the stock showa that is on there now. So any commuters, or just freeway riders that would keep the bike for an extended period of time, it makes sense also. It will make the bike safer, if you want to use that for justification for the cost. It makes the bike handle better, which is safer, at least IMHO. Good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 9:03 PM

I'd say its worth it also. I remember my blade being pretty harsh riding around. With an ohlins, even on the street, you should be able to find a happy medium and have the rear soak up road bumps and other assorted street nasties...

It all depends on your weight too... If you are really light I bet you are getting hammered worse than the heavy guys are. But I always thought the damping was off on that shock, regardless of if the spring was right for you or not (which, unless you are the equivalent of two up riding, it is not).

I say get it. I don't know how much they are in Greece, but in the US, I can say its for sure worth the time and money to get one! (and thats not including the benefits you get at the track, if you were go ever go, its night and day different!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 9:31 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Definitely worth it, IMO... You'll notice the bike is much more compliant over the bumps and lumps the street dishes out.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 9:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys . I really would like to but it and probably will (hopefully).

Has anyone taken the plunge for a set of Ohlins forlks? Which is really out of my budget but hey...
post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens954
Thanks for the input guys . I really would like to but it and probably will (hopefully).

Has anyone taken the plunge for a set of Ohlins forlks? Which is really out of my budget but hey...
Booth has a set I think. I know several people with them. They are above a good fork job a bit, especially when considering stiction. You are reaching the point of dimishing returns with those. But if I had the dough (and a different triple tree for the 600RR), I'd have a set, NO DOUBT!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens954

Yep. Expensive, but the best money I've ever spent on a bike. No stiction whatsoever, and a HUGE improvement over the stock forks. Can't say how much of an improvement over a properly worked set of stock forks from Kyle or others, however. I'm a big believer that most stock suspension is such a compromise for safety (2-up riding) and "average" rider ability and weight, that it is almost never just right for anyone.

I get teased a bit however, as I have full Ohlins (front, back and damper) yet still run a stock exhaust. But, I've always felt that the bike has plenty of power for me (and I like a quiet bike), but that the suspension mods have really helped my confidence and hence, my riding capabilities. The Ohlins is just so supple, that it makes a big difference for canyon riding, even more so than a track. Tracks tend to be smoother than the canyons I ride, and the supple suspension just smooths out the rough roads so well.

Also, the forks can often be used on your next bike, too. Just need the proper brackets, and you can even get the lower portion of the legs to swap them onto a newer bike with radial brakes. So, not like the rear shock, which tends to be more specific to a particular bike.

I give them a big .
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2004, 9:54 AM

Reputation Power: 23

CanyonCarver and I both have the same setup. Ohlins forks, damper, shock and stock exhaust

When I bought my 954, I thought the suspension was much better than any previous bikes I have owned, but still wasn't quite there yet! So I bit the bullet and got Ohlins everything. After getting everything dialed in just right, I cannot believe the difference. The others are correct when they say it's most noticeable on the track, but I could tell the difference immediately on the street as well. (I must be a sensitive kind of guy...don't anybody even think of posting this smilie )

I hate the old cliche...it rides like it's on rails, so I'll say it tracks like it's laser guided. Very compliant and stable. Soaks up bumps I could never tune out of the stockers which, I agree, adds to safety. Better control, more safety. Both on the street and track.

I know they are expensive, but in this case, you truly get what you pay for. Also, if you like to wrench as I do, the installation fun comes no extra charge!

Dan Kyle is the man. I don't know if he can help you in Greece, but I recommend you try him first.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

I know, Dan Kyle IS the man . He has helped me out a great deal. Infact he's the only dealer who accepts foreign VISA. The hassles I had with that, well that's another story I've posted elsewhere on the board.

That's where I bought my Ohlins Damper & PCIII. And looks like I'll be buying the rear as well.

Well looks like no one has talked me out of it so I guess it's a go.

Thanks Dudes.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2004, 3:18 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Congrats on your decision,

One last thing, if you have any installation questions, please don't hesitate to ask. If I cannot figure it out, I am certain someone here can.

Also, if you do this, we expect a report!

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page