Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

RE: '95 900RR aftermarket oil filter fitting problem

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hondasrule 
#1 ·
RE: '95 900RR aftermarket oil filter fitting problem

I have had a bad experience with an oil filter on my Blade and so I wanted to share it with you guys in order to look for possible explanations and to warn other to avoid my mistake.

Bike: 1995 Honda CBR 900RR (893)
Pertinent modification: Hindle exhaust, full with headers

I changed my oil last week after acquiring the bike during the previous week. I used the Amsoil 10W-40 oil and a Champion oil filter, 301K. The filter cleared the headers easily from the front, but it did not screw on easily. Also, the filter only turned some 2x before it became difficult to continue to turn. At this point, there was still visible gap between the engine gasket and the oil filter. I troubleshot by unscrewing, comparing the filters, ensuring that the O-ring from the old filter did not get left behind, re-installing, but to no avail. I ran the bike and it did not leak and ran fine. However, when parked, the bike would drip 2-3 drops every night. Also during, oil would drip on the headers, making them burn and smoke making the bystanders think that my machine is on fire ... :p.

I went off and bought the OEM $20 CDN :rant: oil filter. It fit well and screwed all the way. :clap: All is well, now.
Part Number / part #: 15410-MFJ-D01 (15410MFJD01)

:rotfl:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: '95 900RR aftermarket oil filter fitting problem

I have had a bad experience with an oil filter on my Blade and so I wanted to share it with you guys in order to look for possible explanations and to warn other to avoid my mistake.

Bike: 1995 Honda CBR 900RR (893)
Pertinent modification: Hindle exhaust, full with headers

I changed my oil last week after acquiring the bike during the previous week. I used the Amsoil 10W-40 oil and a Champion oil filter, 301K. The filter cleared the headers easily from the front, but it did not screw on easily. Also, the filter only turned some 2x before it became difficult to continue to turn. At this point, there was still visible gap between the engine gasket and the oil filter. I troubleshot by unscrewing, comparing the filters, ensuring that the O-ring from the old filter did not get left behind, re-installing, but to no avail. I ran the bike and it did not leak and ran fine. However, when parked, the bike would drip 2-3 drops every night. Also during, oil would drip on the headers, making them burn and smoke making the bystanders think that my machine is on fire ... :p.

I went off and bought the OEM $20 CDN :rant: oil filter. It fit well and screwed all the way. :clap: All is well, now.
Part Number / part #: 15410-MFJ-D01 (15410MFJD01)

:rotfl:
i allways use the original filters $20 is a cheap price for peace of mind:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.