Water in Oil - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Water in Oil

I have been a member for a while but I don't post a lot. I noticed today when I fired my bike up that I had water in the oil (milky white floating on top of oil). My question is will this be covered by the warranty. I have a 2001 929 with 8900 miles.

Last edited by Drew01; 01-19-2004 at 9:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:43 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Water in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew01
I have been a member for a while but I don't post a lot. I noticed today when I fired my bike up that I had water in the oil (milky white floating on top of oil). My question is will this be covered by the warranty. I have a 2001 929 with 8900 miles.
If the bike is less than 1 year from original date of purchase old or if you have an extended warranty then yes. Does it blow white smoke out the tailpipe? You must have a blown head gasket. Rare in my opinion but totally possible.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullForce
If the bike is less than 1 year from original date of purchase old or if you have an extended warranty then yes. Does it blow white smoke out the tailpipe? You must have a blown head gasket. Rare in my opinion but totally possible.
I suspect that a water pump seal needs replacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:50 PM
Supporting Member

Maybe far fetched, but maybe condensation from storage?
I would try changing the oil and see if it comes back again before taking it to a dealer to have them tell you there is nothing wrong with it and avoid possible extra costs a dealer may try to incurr.

Last edited by Jake; 01-19-2004 at 9:52 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:52 PM Thread Starter

No it does not blow white smoke out the tailpipe. Seems to be running great otherwise. I am the first owner of the bike, and I can't say if I bought the extended warranty or not. Guess I will be looking.

How would I be able to tell if it is the head gasket or the water pump seals??
post #6 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Maybe far fetched, but maybe condensation from storage?
I would try changing the oil and see if it comes back again before taking it to a dealer to have them tell you there is nothing wrong with it and avoid possible extra costs a dealer may try to incurr.
I rode a couple of days ago for 3 hours with no problems, and I already changed the oil and the milky white appeared back on top of the oil in the sight glass.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 9:59 PM

Quote:
I rode a couple of days ago for 3 hours with no problems, and I already changed the oil and the milky white appeared back on top of the oil in the sight glass.
Closely monitor your coolant level, making sure you check it exactly the same way each time. If you don't notice white smoke out the exhaust, then it is most likely the water pump seal. Unfortunately, the only way to know if it is for sure the seal is to replace it. The good part is that it isn't difficult to replace.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latebraking
Closely monitor your coolant level, making sure you check it exactly the same way each time. If you don't notice white smoke out the exhaust, then it is most likely the water pump seal. Unfortunately, the only way to know if it is for sure the seal is to replace it. The good part is that it isn't difficult to replace.
I was looking in the service manual and it shows the mechanical seal inspection hole at the bottom of the water pump. I just checked that and there is no sign of leakage.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM

Reputation Power: 17

What brand of oil are you using? I had this problem on a 95 ZX6R with Golden Spectro oil. I changed oil brands and the problem went away.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 1:08 AM

Quote:
I was looking in the service manual and it shows the mechanical seal inspection hole at the bottom of the water pump. I just checked that and there is no sign of leakage.
That form of inspection is not reliable. Keep your options open.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 9:36 AM

Check the coolant bottle for oil floating on top as well, that would be a head gasket or cracked head. ...heh crackhead!

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #12 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 5:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
Check the coolant bottle for oil floating on top as well, that would be a head gasket or cracked head. ...heh crackhead!
I checked my paperwork and I do have the extended warranty. When I talked to the BVH this morning the service guy said that it should be covered under warranty. I am dropping the bike off sometime this week. I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 6:33 PM

Hummmm, noticed this on mine too earlier in the year. Never thought much about it either. Never thought about a head gasket leak. Just replaced the water pump last season though. Just assumed it was condensation on the site glass. After running, oil seems to look normal again... Maybe I should check a little deeper into this too. Got ridden hard too Hope nothing got messed up.

Last edited by BigDawg; 01-20-2004 at 6:34 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-23-2004, 3:57 PM

Next time you change your oil, when you go to drain it just pull the drain plug very slowly only allowing a few drops to come out. If you have coolant in your oil it will come out first, as the oil will be sitting on top of the coolant. It will come out as green as if you were draining your rad.

I would give my right arm, to be ambidextrous!
post #15 of 19 Old 01-23-2004, 4:20 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy
Next time you change your oil, when you go to drain it just pull the drain plug very slowly only allowing a few drops to come out. If you have coolant in your oil it will come out first, as the oil will be sitting on top of the coolant. It will come out as green as if you were draining your rad.

I've changed oil in VW Beetles three times in a row and the milkshake is still there (BTW old Beetles are air cooled. No water). It could still be condensation. The gooie baby diarea sticks to the sides of the pan and will show up on the sight glass again.

Ride Red

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page