Poor gas mileage on a 929 -- is no o2 sensor to blame? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2004, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Poor gas mileage on a 929 -- is no o2 sensor to blame?

Hey all,

I'm a new 929 owner, and as I ride, have noticed some questions. One has to do with gas mileage -- or my lack of it... I'm getting just over 30mpg, which is a lot less than what I've heard about.

My bike is a CA bike, but my understanding from the previous owner is that all the CA stuff has been removed (wouldn't have been my choice, but there it is...) This includes the o2 sensor, which has been replaced by a Dynojet cutoff module...

My questions are this: is the removal of the o2 sensor, or the CA stuff in general, responsible for my poor gas mileage? Will the addition of a power commander remedy this problem? If so, will a pcIII work, or do I need a IIIr? Or is there some totally different problem here that I'm not seeing?

TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 12:38 AM

Re: Poor gas mileage on a 929 -- is no o2 sensor to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffs
Hey all,

I'm a new 929 owner, and as I ride, have noticed some questions. One has to do with gas mileage -- or my lack of it... I'm getting just over 30mpg, which is a lot less than what I've heard about.

My bike is a CA bike, but my understanding from the previous owner is that all the CA stuff has been removed (wouldn't have been my choice, but there it is...) This includes the o2 sensor, which has been replaced by a Dynojet cutoff module...

My questions are this: is the removal of the o2 sensor, or the CA stuff in general, responsible for my poor gas mileage? Will the addition of a power commander remedy this problem? If so, will a pcIII work, or do I need a IIIr? Or is there some totally different problem here that I'm not seeing?

TIA!!!
i have a CA model with all the CA stuff removed, a PCIII and full exhaust.. i get about 35mpg city/hwy combined.. sometimes less depending on my mood ... check your air pressure in your tires at least weekly, that can make a difference too.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djice929
i have a CA model with all the CA stuff removed, a PCIII and full exhaust.. i get about 35mpg city/hwy combined.. sometimes less depending on my mood ... check your air pressure in your tires at least weekly, that can make a difference too.
If you're still running a stock exhaust, then it is safe to say that the lack of an O2 sensor is at least part of the problem. All of the OE stuff is designed to work together, especially when it comes to exhaust and intake tuning. Remove the flapper and nothing else - you've upset the balance of things in Honda's world. Remove the HTEV (by installing a full exhaust) and keep the flapper - same thing.

I have a full exhaust, no flapper and no O2 sensor (Ca. model) and my mileage varies from 32 - 39 mpg. I'm considering finding an O2 sensor and installing it (my system has a bung to install one) to see what the effect might be.

The O2 sensor on the stock bike leans out the mixture at part and steady throttle, which contributes to better mileage and lower emissions. I'm thinking that it may not play well with the Power Commander, though so I'll have to see.

Sure would be nice to get a few more mpgs back, though. I was getting 45+ until I went in search of more power / better throttle response. Gonna play?, you gotta pay...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 1:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latebraking
If you're still running a stock exhaust, then it is safe to say that the lack of an O2 sensor is at least part of the problem. All of the OE stuff is designed to work together, especially when it comes to exhaust and intake tuning. Remove the flapper and nothing else - you've upset the balance of things in Honda's world. Remove the HTEV (by installing a full exhaust) and keep the flapper - same thing.

I have a full exhaust, no flapper and no O2 sensor (Ca. model) and my mileage varies from 32 - 39 mpg. I'm considering finding an O2 sensor and installing it (my system has a bung to install one) to see what the effect might be.

The O2 sensor on the stock bike leans out the mixture at part and steady throttle, which contributes to better mileage and lower emissions. I'm thinking that it may not play well with the Power Commander, though so I'll have to see.

Sure would be nice to get a few more mpgs back, though. I was getting 45+ until I went in search of more power / better throttle response. Gonna play?, you gotta pay...........
I guess I forgot to mention that -- I do have a Jardine slip on, but I assume the flapper is still in place... Your explanation of the function of the o2 sensor makes sense, but I'm not now sure I understand the purpose of removing it, except maybe in a race environment...

so, then, that becomes another question I can tack on the originals (which I'd still like to hear more about): is replacing the o2 sensor a good idea?

Another purpose to the pc, in my mind, would be to clean up the fi below 3500, which is pretty rough!

thanks again
post #5 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 1:21 AM

Quote:
I guess I forgot to mention that -- I do have a Jardine slip on, but I assume the flapper is still in place... Your explanation of the function of the o2 sensor makes sense, but I'm not now sure I understand the purpose of removing it, except maybe in a race environment...

so, then, that becomes another question I can tack on the originals (which I'd still like to hear more about): is replacing the o2 sensor a good idea?

Another purpose to the pc, in my mind, would be to clean up the fi below 3500, which is pretty rough!

thanks again
I use to run a half system with the PCIII, and could not get it to run clean below 3k. After I Put on a full exhaust, installed a map from dynojet and bada-bing, bada-boom, no more glitches below 3k.

The sensor would be fighting with the PCIII, I suspect - with it leaning the mixture, then the PCIII taking that signal and richening it (according to the fuel map loaded), so the O2 sensor may not have full effect, and the PCIII may not have full effect (in those situations) either.

An O2 sensor, the way Honda has it setup for OE running, only serves to placate the EPA, gas mileage is a pleasant side effect.

I can't say that repllacing it is a good or bad idea yet, I haven't been able to do it. I don't thing there would be any harm in doing so, but you may ecperience driveability issues. Then again, you may just get good gas mileage again...............
post #6 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 5:30 AM

Back in the day.. I did some testing with a full system and O2 sensor eliminators on my Viffer. Man. The bike was upset with the full system and no other mods.

I tried the O2 eliminators and it made it worse, really rough on the lowend. I suspect you are suffering this same issue. The O2 eliminator puts a load across the heater circuit so the ECU thinks it is installed but without any lambda inputs from it the ECU is running openloop all the time and this tends to richen them up. Sometimes good but not always.

During extensive testing and discussions with Dynojet RE: PCII, O2 sensor eliminator and FI light issues one thing that came up was that they DO NOT suggest running the eliminators without a PC (well of course.. gotta sell those things, right) but I also found that when I removed them (while my PCII was in transit) it really cleaned up the lower-end mess. I just had to tape over the FI light and not worry about it for a few days.

Once the PC arrived I re-installed the eliminators (basically a resistor with a fancy factory plug) and starting tuning it and things were much better.

Try unplugging that bugger and see if that helps or hurts. Worst case is you get an FI light (it's running open-loop anyway).

Neat thing about the PC's are if you have a Plam computer you can load a bunch of different maps into it and re-tune the bike on the road (which I did a couple years ago with excellent results). Now, just try to re-jet a carburated bike at your next over-night hotel stop.

I did a bunch of seat-o-the-pants *dyno* work with my Viffer before I took it into the shop for some final tweaks on the dyno.. so if you run into any Dynojet Q's feel free to ask, I might be able to help.

- H
post #7 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 9:20 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I had a full exhaust on mine, with a PC. I averaged about 95 miles to a tank.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 9:34 AM

I should point out that 929s in race trim get nearly 6 mpg. These engines love to burn that fuel . . .
post #9 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestar
I had a full exhaust on mine, with a PC. I averaged about 95 miles to a tank.
That's insane. I had just the Jardine RT-One on mine and I got 178 miles on one tank (yeah, I was sweating it but it did it).

Maybe you guys just have really crappy gas or someting... but that sounds way out of line to me.

- H
post #10 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 1:45 PM

Reputation Power: 27

I got 128 miles per tank before the fuel light came on. With a full system, flapper out, pair valves blocked off, and mapped PCIIIr, I get 90 miles before the light comes on.

Ride Red
post #11 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 3:42 PM Thread Starter

so then do I hear people saying that a PC will only make the problem worse, and that the way to recover gas mileage is to get an o2 sensor back on?

one thing that seems weird about this -- do 49 state bikes get much worse mileage because they don't have an o2 sensor to begin with? that seems unlikely...
post #12 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 4:39 PM

Quote:
so then do I hear people saying that a PC will only make the problem worse, and that the way to recover gas mileage is to get an o2 sensor back on?

one thing that seems weird about this -- do 49 state bikes get much worse mileage because they don't have an o2 sensor to begin with? that seems unlikely...
Not really. Since California has much more stringent air quality standards, bikes sold for this market run leaner than 49 state models. Leaner usually means less power, but also means more mpg. The AIR systems are usually the economy killers, but since both the California and 49 state models have the same system, this would have a negligable affect on economy figures between the two models. Also, since motorcycles usually use passive AIR systems (no engine driven pump), the overall hit on economy is pretty small.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 4:42 PM

Quote:
That is quite probable.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 4:42 PM Thread Starter

what is the AIR system? please excuse my ignorance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Not really. Since California has much more stringent air quality standards, bikes sold for this market run leaner than 49 state models. Leaner usually means less power, but also means more mpg. The AIR systems are usually the economy killers, but since both the California and 49 state models have the same system, this would have a negligable affect on economy figures between the two models. Also, since motorcycles usually use passive AIR systems (no engine driven pump), the overall hit on economy is pretty small.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-20-2004, 4:55 PM

Quote:
what is the AIR system? please excuse my ignorance...
Air Injection Reactor (or Passive Air Injection Reactor for a PAIR system). On the Blade, it is a diaphragm and hose contraption that feeds fresh air (routed from the airbox) directly into the exhaust header to further burn the exhaust charge (lot's of unburned hydrocarbons in a reciprocating engine's exhaust). The PAIR system is activated by a pressure pulse from the crankcase that occurs almost immediately following the opening of the exhaust valves. On several cars, the system is active and utilizes a belt driven compressor to force fresh air into the exhaust manifold. Both of these systems play havoc with accurate o2 exhaust readings, so standard practice on performance engines is to disable or remove the system to accurately measure the engines Air/Fuel ratio.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page