Bike almost on fire! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Bike almost on fire!

I was on a road trip a few weeks ago and had to stop as smoke was pouring out from under my seat. I quickly got the seat off and found the large clip connection on the wires going from the stator to the voltage regulator was completely melted. Luckily my brother brought some spare wire and I was able to cut out the offending connection and continue on for a few more days without problems. The other day I tried to start my bike and killed the battery. It was only about 15C out, hadn't been started for a couple weeks, and it has the choke disconnected. Today I took the seat off to charge the battery, and one of the wires that melted on the trip had melted through the electrical tape (haven't had the chance to solder it yet). The other two wires had signs of getting really hot too. Would an old battery put extra load on my regulator? It's probably not the case as usually the battery has no trouble starting the bike. The battery only has about 30-40 seconds of cranking time, which doesn't seem like long, so maybe it is the battery. Should I test my battery with the bike running, or will that only tell me if it's getting charged, or should I test the battery disconnected from the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-03-2010, 3:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: Bike almost on fire!

R/R woes, me thinks.

Perform a full check on all of your wiring, especially checking the condition of all the grounds. Then work through the full Troubleshooting procedures in the electrical section of the service manual. Big pain in the neck, but time well invested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page