Speaking of Shifting, My tranny Sucks!! More... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 1:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Speaking of Shifting, My tranny Sucks!! More...

Okay, maybe it's not a common complaint, but shifting on my new (to me) 929 seems very cobbly, and if I'm not firm enough (too firm?!?!), I sometimes have the shifter bouncing in la-la-land... Does the Factory pro shift kit with that Evo Star thingy work? Anyone have experience with this? The Honda is growing on me (I'm usually a dyed-in-the-wool Suzuki guy), but I had a rought time rowing through the gear box through Mulholland Highway (and all of the related "veins") this past Sunday... Any ideas or suggestions? TIA!

Last edited by Erwin8r; 01-22-2004 at 1:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 1:56 PM

Re: Speaking of Shifting, My tranny Sucks!! More...

Don't pussyfoot it and you'll be fine.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 2:00 PM

Reputation Power: 50

What he said. Put some oomph into it. Takes some getting used to, but once you do, you'll love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 2:06 PM

I don't use the clutch to upshift and never have a problem,some say using a good synthetic oil helps.Check you're shift linkage/clutch cable adjustment and freeplay maybe dude who had it before you crashed and something is bent on the linkage.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 2:19 PM

Reputation Power: 19

My 1-2 shift used to be clunky, but it's all butter now.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #6 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 2:33 PM

There was a lot of threads on the old site about this. You're not alone, but just about everyone has dialed it in to smooth out either through adjusting the shift linkage (like jafo posted) so that the shifter is lower (if not reversed pattern) so that your ankle movement is not maxed before shifter is completely in the next gear. I had a hell of a time (even took it the dealers) when I first had my 929. I believe through adjusting the shift lever and break-in period (don't know how many miles you have) it should smooth itself out. I went to the reversed pattern shifter (no linkage) and still had periodic mis-shifts, but adjusted my pedal higher and have nearly eliminated mis-shifts. I don't buy the synthetic oil solution, although others swear by it's smoothness.

Anyways, you're not alone - but should smooth out, otherwise we're talking transmission shift forks(?).
post #7 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 2:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys. I really don't pussy-foot the shifter--and this gear box can in no way ever be accused of being butter-smooth (especially as compared to the one's on every single Suzuki I've ever owned). I have the lever adjusted pretty low, and the linkage is nice and tight. I have a set of Attack Rear Sests with adjustable throw ratios, so I'll see if that helps (just waiting on a couple of parts). If not, I think I'll spend the dosh and order up the Factory shift kit with that throwing star thingy...

On a different note, I spoke to Attack about reversing the shift pattern, and they pretty much told me I was SOL, unless I space the linkage out (I've always run reverse pattern)--but now I've read that Sato rearsets are "reversible," or that I can use a VFR lever--which VFR? Thanks again!!
post #8 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 3:18 PM

GP Shift Kit
---------------------------
Part Number: 24701-MAT-000
Description: PEDAL, GEARSHIF
Price: $22.66

Part Number: 24781-KR3-770
Description: RUBBER, CHANGE
Price: $1.38

Part Number: 90051-KS7-830
Description: BOLT, FLANGE (6
Price: $0.88
----------------------------
total $24.92+shipping

these prices are from www.ronayersmotorsports.com
post #9 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave
GP Shift Kit
---------------------------
Part Number: 24701-MAT-000
Description: PEDAL, GEARSHIF
Price: $22.66

Part Number: 24781-KR3-770
Description: RUBBER, CHANGE
Price: $1.38

Part Number: 90051-KS7-830
Description: BOLT, FLANGE (6
Price: $0.88
----------------------------
total $24.92+shipping
these prices are from www.ronayersmotorsports.com
what he said.cheapest way to reverse the shift pattern on this bike.
post #10 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

Sweet!! Thanks, guys!
post #11 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 4:21 PM

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the replies so far is to pre-load your shift lever prior to rolling off the gas, then hold the lever up (or down) until the shift is completely finished.
post #12 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

The Sato shifter is reversible. Simple change to do if you decide to go that route. If you stick with the stock rearsets and want GP shifting than the VFR shifter mod SuperDave mentioned is the way to go. As for the smoothness of the transmission, Honda's heve never been known to be "silky" smooth. I have heard and read though, that Suzukis are known for their buttery shifting...

Oh, and welcome to the .org!

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #13 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 5:27 PM

The "Synthetic oil solution" is more than a myth, provided it's real synthetic oil and you don't attempt to guage any changes until it has been changed out at least twice. I have never used the AMsoil, although several members swear by it and it is relatively inexpensive. If you are serious and don't mind paying for performance, check out the Motul 300V 0W30. If NH looks at this thread, I belive he will affirm that my 929 shifted pretty smoothly (an understatement) using this oil.

If you actually have a problem, I wouldn't look at the shift forks. First you need to identify the gear that you are shifting INTO that is a problem, and then send that gear (and it's 2 partners unless it's first or sixth) out to a decent shop and get them undercut and rehardened. The shift dogs are the primary cause of missed shifts, "false neutrals" (a serious misnomer) and popping out of gear under acceleration.

The Factory Pro shift kit will help, but in addition to rounding the dogs ever further, it's only a bandaid. Get the tranny undercut = end of problem.

Last edited by abtech; 01-22-2004 at 5:28 PM.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 5:45 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

Abtech is definately correct with his info as usual. APE does this type of thing. I talked with them the other day regarding a friends R1 with shifting problems. They said it is only necessary for a street/novice racer to do undercutting for up shifting only. It costs about $260 and they told me there is about a three week turn around.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-22-2004, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Abtech is definately correct with his info as usual. APE does this type of thing. I talked with them the other day regarding a friends R1 with shifting problems. They said it is only necessary for a street/novice racer to do undercutting for up shifting only. It costs about $260 and they told me there is about a three week turn around.
As an aside, Superbike Mike Engineering (Superbike Mike) has cut all of my trannies and they shift better than 98% of everything I have ridden. I don't know what kind of dollars he gets for a full gearbox, but it's well worth the investment in my opinion. He has also "repaired" a few TZ second gear cogs and they were better than the original.

Last edited by abtech; 01-22-2004 at 6:37 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page