PCIIIr Get it? or no need? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-25-2004, 7:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

PCIIIr Get it? or no need?

Hey guys, I have an 02 954 with Two Bros slip on and K+N. Im thinking about getting the power commander but want to know what to expect. This bike is already pretty responsive. I wonder how it can be improved. I would appreciate any input on what to expect with this purchase, and how hard it is to configure with my bike once I get it.
thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-25-2004, 8:08 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Re: PCIIIr Get it? or no need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhooHoo
Hey guys, I have an 02 954 with Two Bros slip on and K+N. Im thinking about getting the power commander but want to know what to expect. This bike is already pretty responsive. I wonder how it can be improved. I would appreciate any input on what to expect with this purchase, and how hard it is to configure with my bike once I get it.
thanks for any info.

No need to get one, but if you do and get a good map, you can expect a throttle that's not as jerky. you may pick up a very small amount of midrange power, but if you're chasing power put a clean original air filtrer back in and pick up the horsepower or 2 you have lost by using a K+N.

Plus you may actually be able to go faster cause your wallet will be lighter

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #3 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 7:12 AM

Reputation Power: 16

I'de say they are definately worth it. Even for a stock bike they improve the throttle response and smooth out the jerkiness. You can pick em up cheap in the states so why not. When you go to sell the bike you can still sell the PCIII off. I wouldn't bother going to the expense of the PCIIIR, the PCIII is fine for your purposes. Put on one of the maps from the PC site, and then get it professionally mapped using the Tuning Link software etc at a later date if you want to step up a bit. It doesn't always improve power greatly (probably only a few hp) but will definately smooth out the power curve and should improve your fuel economy a decent amount.

Last edited by FuTAnT; 01-26-2004 at 7:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 7:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Yup- what he said. Even with a stock bike, a PCIII will smooth the power out and make it a little easier to get to the ground. Don't bother with a PCIIIR version unless you plan on getting some serious mods, or plan on using race fuel (for the track)

Z..

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #5 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTAnT
I'de say they are definately worth it. Even for a stock bike they improve the throttle response and smooth out the jerkiness. You can pick em up cheap in the states so why not. When you go to sell the bike you can still sell the PCIII off. I wouldn't bother going to the expense of the PCIIIR, the PCIII is fine for your purposes. Put on one of the maps from the PC site, and then get it professionally mapped using the Tuning Link software etc at a later date if you want to step up a bit. It doesn't always improve power greatly (probably only a few hp) but will definately smooth out the power curve and should improve your fuel economy a decent amount.
Is there general agreement that a PCIII will improve fuel economy? I'm currently running only a Jardine can...
post #6 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 3:46 PM

Yes it should help fuel economy

post #7 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 7:48 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 18

WhooHoo and RedCliff,
If interested, I have a PC3 available for a descent price- $175.00 including shipping. It was bought this last May. Good condition. Comes with cable as well as software. I just recently bought a PC3r for my 929 because of the mods (boring, cams). My understanding is that the 929 and 954 PC's are compatable. You just have to cut and paste the maps. Let me know if you're interested. [email protected]

Last edited by Jake; 01-26-2004 at 7:49 PM.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 9:44 PM

Anyone tried the USB Power Commander? Seems to have a few extra added features. Althought looks like it cost a bit more also.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I probably don't need one from what I read. However, need and desire are far from the same. Anybody know about simple tweeking or mods I could do to increase horsepower? (besides head work and porting)
post #10 of 39 Old 01-27-2004, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I probably don't need one from what I read. However, need and desire are far from the same. Anybody know about simple tweeking or mods I could do to increase horsepower? (besides head work and porting)

Hindle

post #11 of 39 Old 01-27-2004, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Yup, like someone above said, get rid of the K&N and stick the OEM back in, you'll gain 1-2 HP.
post #12 of 39 Old 01-27-2004, 4:48 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffs
Is there general agreement that a PCIII will improve fuel economy? I'm currently running only a Jardine can...
There's no 'guarantee' but from most reports it definately improves fuel economy. The stock bikes (blades especially) tend to run a bit rich. Interesting to note, while flicking through Superbike mag the other day they were talking about mods etc etc that everyone does and said the Blade benefitted best from the PC installation, basically meaning that the stock map is far from great.
post #13 of 39 Old 01-27-2004, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTAnT
There's no 'guarantee' but from most reports it definately improves fuel economy. The stock bikes (blades especially) tend to run a bit rich. Interesting to note, while flicking through Superbike mag the other day they were talking about mods etc etc that everyone does and said the Blade benefitted best from the PC installation, basically meaning that the stock map is far from great.
Ahem, not to jump in or anything ( ), but these bikes tend to run quite lean stock--at least U.S. (and especially California versions) do. BUt I get the point about a PC--I know I need one...
post #14 of 39 Old 01-27-2004, 7:17 PM

Yes, the stock map is quite lean, especially around 5000 rpm for emissions.

Here's my experience:

I had a PCII on my VFR before I got the 954 and liked what it did, so as soon as I got the 954 I ordered my PCIII. I had an Erion aluminum slip-on and stock filter when I installed the PCIII. I used the #1 map as it was closest to my setup, and found it smoothed throttle response and got rid of the flat spot around 5k rpm.

Last season, I put the stock can back on because I was attracting too much attention from the local LEOs with the sound. I was amazed that the response was much smoother, and the SOTP dyno told me I increased the ponies by a little with the same map. Whatever, I liked it.

I averaged 40 mpg each tank. About 37 mpg when I got feisty, but I don't know at the track, since I forgot to set the tripmeter when I went. (I only got to do one day last season.)

As I understand, the PCIIIr allows ignition timing changes. Unless you are modding your engine with a different cam, or changing compression ratios, it probably is not worth the extra dosh.

Two different bikes, two different PCs, owner satisfied both times. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #15 of 39 Old 01-27-2004, 10:20 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I'd get one no matter what mods you're planning. It greatly helped my 929. As others have said, I'd nix the K&N. For the fuel economy, mine was worse. It was mapped more for power vs. economy. Pre-map: about 125-130 miles/tank. After: about 90-100 miles/tank.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page