Upgrading from 929 - which new blade? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 6:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Upgrading from 929 - which new blade?

Well the 929 has been so great for me getting back into riding again after a bit of a hiatus, and have found that I am simply riding too much, and the km's are starting to get a little high on the 929 for my liking (60,000 km).

So the natural upgrade path for me is to another 'blade, but which one? I personally love the styling of all of the blades 929 onwards, so the looks doesn't really play into it for me...what are the benefits/drawbacks for each of the 1000's '04 onwards?
Can't afford to buy new, but could probably stretch the budget for an '08-09 if they are significantly better in any aspect over previous models.

Any insight?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 3:14 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Re: Upgrading from 929 - which new blade?

60,000 km aren't that may on the bike.

Does the 929 have issues or are you really just wanting a newer bike?

The '04 - '07 are a tad heavy.

The 2008 had some oil burning issues.

The 2009 mostly resolved the oil burning issues.

Hopefully someone will come along with better input than my general statements. I own a 954 and have never ridden a CBR1000.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 4:59 PM Thread Starter

No, no issues with the bike, but as I mentioned I am doing a lot of km's on it these days, and I don't want to end up owning a bike that noone will buy because of the high km's. So if I can sell it soon while it's still worth something would be good.
Also I'd like to give myself a present!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 5:19 PM

Reputation Power: 166

Typically, vehicles depreciate less and less as they get older. The depreciation curve gets shallower as the vehicle ages. You'l probably lose more in depreciation with a newer bike than if you kept the 929.

If you just want a newer bike, then that's a different story!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 5:30 PM Thread Starter

But the demand for bikes with high km's is very low(does not necessarily follow supply vs demand price rules though, as opposed to cars in which every man and his dog wants a cheap car for his son/daughter etc.. so it could be very difficult to offload when the km's get too high. I'm not prepared to wait 6 months for a buyer for the 929 because of the lack of demand, unless I drop the price very low.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 7:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

mine has 70,000km I couldn't think of a better rr bike to pile the kms on. I would like to get a newer bike just to experience it but I would only keep it for a short time and then switch back to the 929.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason-K View Post
But the demand for bikes with high km's is very low(does not necessarily follow supply vs demand price rules though, as opposed to cars in which every man and his dog wants a cheap car for his son/daughter etc.. so it could be very difficult to offload when the km's get too high. I'm not prepared to wait 6 months for a buyer for the 929 because of the lack of demand, unless I drop the price very low.
I replaced a 929 with an '07 Blade and man it's a great bike... I wouldn't want any other bike! I say keep the 929 if you still like it and bite the bullet and just pay for another bike.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 1:50 PM

Reputation Power: 41

Des is right Jason, the depreciation is all but over for your bike now. A new(er) bike will get hit again as soon as you buy it, but we all do it and if you fancy a new ride, why not

The 07, IMHO, is a great looking bike especially in repsol colours. Really quick and reliable. The 08 is very fast, and very easy to ride. Skinny and light like a 600 really, with class leading midrange power where you need it. Some 08s have been oil burners, mine hasn't ( so far anyway ).

All down to budget mate.............for my $0.02 I would say buy as new as you can if you like the look of the current bike.

If not, go for a well looked after 06-07.

Can't go wrong either way

Sometimes I wish I was a faster rider, but there's no heroes in the graveyard..............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page