954: GoPro HD or HD camcorder? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954: GoPro HD or HD camcorder?

I got a aluminum tank-mount and an entry level HD camcorder from my girlfriend for Xmas. The plan was to start filming ride and track days, but also film skiing, biking, hunting etc.

After seeing the quality of the videos some of these guys are getting with a GoPro, I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed with the camcorder. It was 6 degrees F this morning, and I just don't have the cajones to test out the equipment, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice?

I think the obvious benefit of the GoPro is quality, versatillity (easily mounting to various locations).

But you loose the civilian use factor (cant get the kid's first steps on a go pro, unless you make him wear a helmet around for the 1rst person perspective).

What do ya think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Re: 954: GoPro HD or HD camcorder?

I like the GoPro HD, but the audio really sucks.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I have both, the GO PRO HD and the HD camcorder, and I could not imagine using the camcorder on the bike. I think that the elements would ruin it.
I've been caught by rain wile with the Go Pro and nothing happened to it, its made to take the vibration and it comes with a great protective case. I really doubt the panasonic HD could stand the vibration alone before you end up with $600 down the tube.
My recommendation is the Go Pro, imagine all the bug guts on the camcorder lens and all the hard to get places.

swaying to the symphony of destruction!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 PM

I saw someone at a track day that had a Canon SureShot mounted on a tank bracket. I would have never thought of that. I have the same camera and it does take great pictures and decent videos.

I like my GoPro HD. The audio is crappy. If I could turn it off I would!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 2:59 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

I think the GoPro is the way to Go

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Reputation Power: 166

Hmm, bike cameras - I have been looking at these all Xmas, I have a horrible feeling some of the moths might escape from my wallet.... or maybe not

From what I have seen, there are 4 cameras in contention.

GoPro Hero - Sturdy looking little camera. Has a lithium rechargable battery. No viewfinder so setting up will be a pain. Wide angel lens gives a fish-eye effect at the edge. Not sure if it can be switched on / off on the move.

Contour - Again sturdy looking and again has a lithium rechargable battery. No viewfinder but has 2 lasers to aid aiming. Has a large sliding record switch that may be possible to use on the move.

Drift - Another small self-contained camera. I think both the HD and non-HD cameras run on 2x AA batteries. Has a small LCD screen so it can be set up easily. Has a remote control so it can be used on the move.

VIO POV - Sturdy 2-piece camera. Much bulkier than the others. Can be hard-wired to the bike or used with 4x AA batteries. Has a remote control. Screen on the main recording unit for easy aiming. Can be set to record all the time, or to record in pre-determined sections each time you hit a button on the remote. Expensive though.

Of the 4, if I get anything I reckon it'd be a VIO POV camera. I think the extra functionality would be useful, and being able to operate it on the move seems to me the way to go.

Of the others, it would be either a Drift or a Contour for me. On functionality, it would be the Drift, but I would need to do more research to decide.

I am no expert on this stuff, this is just what I have found when on the internet over Xmas, which was preferable to the absolute rubbish that was on the TV!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 3:37 PM

Reputation Power: 50

From my own experience, when I got the Go Pro I thought the same as far as set up goes. but the wide angle lens capture so much of the road it has never been an issue and the dampening of vivrations is great. I agree on the sound it could be better without having to modify the case.

swaying to the symphony of destruction!!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 PM

The GoPro is a tough bugger. I dropped mine right on the track once. More of an embarrassment than anything else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page