Code 19 trouble - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2010, 3:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Code 19 trouble

I am posting this thread because I want to explain my troubles in hopes this will help someone down the road doing a search like I did all day today. Just trying to contribute because other contributions greatly help me out today.

Yesturday I had my 2000' 929 blade calling me to ride. So I went to my shop and geared up. I cranked up the beast for warm up and it sounded fine. Once the RPM's settled down a bit it was warmed up and ready so before I could hop on it just unexplainably died. So I tried cranking again and again. It acted like it wanted to run because a couple cylinders would fire off but it would cough and sputter and never start.

So today after work I tore into it. I dont run a speedo because its a fighter but never-the-less I always keep it for just in case. I plugged it in and I was getting 1 long red light and 9 short red lights on the FI indicator. The long lights = 10 and the short lights = 1. I learned this by searching and reading up. So this means I had a code 19 or error 19, however you want to say it. This code relates to the IPG ignition pulse generator located on the inside of the clutch cover. I pulled off the small round cover apprx. 2 inches / 51 mm and put my fingers in there to check the sensor. It was very loose. After taking the entire clutch cover off, only 1 nut was barely holding the IPG sensor on. It supposed to have 2. Since it was loose the reading rotor next to it was not reading correctly so the firing was majorly off. I have had this cover off before so after looking down in the oil pan (after draining) and not seeing the missing nut, I used a magnet on a flex rod and stuck it in every crevice I could to find the nut to no avail. I thought maybe I forgot one back when I had the cover off before. I decided to grab another nut and remount the sensor and then reinstalled the clutch cover.

After oil was put back in I decided to test ride to my bros house. It ran great but halfway there I got stuck in 1st gear. I could only go to neutral and first. I went back home (slowly with some coasting).

First thing came to mind was that missing nut. I pulled the clutch cover and the oil pan. After some tedious searching I found the nut jammed in between the engine case and the shifter rod that goes all the way across the case and ends up into the clutch cover. I pulled it out and replace the other sensor nut with the correct one with locktite of coarse....

Reassemble the bike and

Thanks to this forum and the other contributing members posting, my bike is running and all is well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2010, 4:03 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Re: Code 19 trouble

Helpful post! You are becoming quite the expert

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2010, 6:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3voltn1 View Post
First thing came to mind was that missing nut. I pulled the clutch cover and the oil pan. After some tedious searching I found the nut jammed in between the engine case and the shifter rod that goes all the way across the case and ends up into the clutch cover.
Good find
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-31-2010, 7:25 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3voltn1 View Post
I am posting this thread because I want to explain my troubles in hopes this will help someone down the road doing a search like I did all day today. Just trying to contribute because other contributions greatly help me out today.

Yesturday I had my 2000' 929 blade calling me to ride. So I went to my shop and geared up. I cranked up the beast for warm up and it sounded fine. Once the RPM's settled down a bit it was warmed up and ready so before I could hop on it just unexplainably died. So I tried cranking again and again. It acted like it wanted to run because a couple cylinders would fire off but it would cough and sputter and never start.

So today after work I tore into it. I dont run a speedo because its a fighter but never-the-less I always keep it for just in case. I plugged it in and I was getting 1 long red light and 9 short red lights on the FI indicator. The long lights = 10 and the short lights = 1. I learned this by searching and reading up. So this means I had a code 19 or error 19, however you want to say it. This code relates to the IPG ignition pulse generator located on the inside of the clutch cover. I pulled off the small round cover apprx. 2 inches / 51 mm and put my fingers in there to check the sensor. It was very loose. After taking the entire clutch cover off, only 1 nut was barely holding the IPG sensor on. It supposed to have 2. Since it was loose the reading rotor next to it was not reading correctly so the firing was majorly off. I have had this cover off before so after looking down in the oil pan (after draining) and not seeing the missing nut, I used a magnet on a flex rod and stuck it in every crevice I could to find the nut to no avail. I thought maybe I forgot one back when I had the cover off before. I decided to grab another nut and remount the sensor and then reinstalled the clutch cover.

After oil was put back in I decided to test ride to my bros house. It ran great but halfway there I got stuck in 1st gear. I could only go to neutral and first. I went back home (slowly with some coasting).

First thing came to mind was that missing nut. I pulled the clutch cover and the oil pan. After some tedious searching I found the nut jammed in between the engine case and the shifter rod that goes all the way across the case and ends up into the clutch cover. I pulled it out and replace the other sensor nut with the correct one with locktite of coarse....

Reassemble the bike and

Thanks to this forum and the other contributing members posting, my bike is running and all is well.

Very good of you to take the time to post this for others.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2011, 1:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Helpful post! You are becoming quite the expert
Again Jazz...only an expert at eating chocolate ice cream.

YUM ....my favorite...
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2011, 1:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Very good of you to take the time to post this for others.
Big Thanks to you Blade.
Most of my searches ended up reading most of your info....
You da man...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page