99 CBR 900 RRX running rich...? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-03-2011, 7:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

99 CBR 900 RRX running rich...?

Hi guys,
I did search alot about that but no result.. I have this problem with my Blade-its running a little bit rich.Yesterday,durring the winter servicing I checked the plugs(denso Iridium) ant they are black carbon ild up,and that is for 12000 km(7000miles) work.That makes me think my bike is running rich,not alot but enough...I have to add that I stick to midrange rpm when I ride,I'm not a red line fan..All I could find in the web was how to raise your needles,how to rich the mixture,but nothing how to make it leaner I know thah my jet needles arent adjustable,the float level also,last time I sal the needles I noticed very thin small washers,one for each needle,but they seem stock and they are supposed to be there(are they?) I will apreciate any advice,thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-03-2011, 9:59 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 99 CBR 900 RRX running rich...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobromir View Post
Hi guys,
I did search alot about that but no result.. I have this problem with my Blade-its running a little bit rich.Yesterday,durring the winter servicing I checked the plugs(denso Iridium) ant they are black carbon ild up,and that is for 12000 km(7000miles) work.That makes me think my bike is running rich,not alot but enough...I have to add that I stick to midrange rpm when I ride,I'm not a red line fan..All I could find in the web was how to raise your needles,how to rich the mixture,but nothing how to make it leaner I know thah my jet needles arent adjustable,the float level also,last time I sal the needles I noticed very thin small washers,one for each needle,but they seem stock and they are supposed to be there(are they?) I will apreciate any advice,thank you
Tried a new air filter?
Does it use any oil between changes?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 18 Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I changed the air filter recently without any effect...and no oil burning,it runs very well..I searched again and found out that the idle screw effect the mixture till 1/2 throttle open(couldn't explain it better) so maybe my idle screws are too open and let more fuel to pass in the range of rpm that I use..if I screw them clockwise a little it will effect the mixture...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Mine ran a little 'sooty' if I cruised around (mind you, 5000 rpm in top was heading up to 100 mph, not advisable in the UK!). A good high rev blast cleaned it up fine.
I went to a Dynojet kit specifically to richen it up a little, it ran out of puff at higher altitudes, especially the 'ring. Subjectiveley, it felt much smoother and certainly pulled well all the way through the RPM range. You could also be seeing the result of leaving the choke on for too long, that will certainly give a soot build up.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-03-2011, 5:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply!So,what is your advice?How to set up the mixture in order not to run so sooty? I also ,,cruise'' around 5k rpm,use the bike for touring not for race...And what about those washers under the jet needles?In stock are they supposed to be there or not?An if i remove them will that affect the mixture or not..?How can fix that ,,sooty'' effect without rejetting? Maybe setting the idle screw?
post #6 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

And,one more question,how many turns is supposed to be the factory set of the idle screw?Manual says 3/4,read something about 1 5/8, and mine now is 1 1/2...?Jdugen,you have the same as mine,do you know how many turns is yours..?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Hi, not ignoring you, just trying to remember.
I had the Dyno jet on from 2006 so its hard to think back so far. I finally found my box of carb bits with the original needles and can say that, yes, the small washers were standard.
I am not sure what you refer to as the 'idle screw'. Do you mean the tickover adust or the actual pilot jet adjusters on the carb bodies??
The tickover adjust is set to give you about a 1K tickover, never really measured how many turns that was. The pilot jet adjusters should be set 2 1/2 turns out from fully screwed in. Be careful not to be to harsh when screwing these in as you can damage the fine needle tips. Mine was dead on the money at 2 1/2, but each bike, and carb, can differ by a half turn either way.
If yours is running smoothly with no plug fouling, ( as you seem to imply) I would not be to concerned, but if it smells really 'petroly' and has a lumpy tickover, then more investigation is required
post #8 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 6:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply!Idle screw=pilot jet adjuster(I call it idle screw so its my fault)2 nad1/2...?isnt it too much..?Today I read the manual and it says,,Initial opening 1 5/8 and after all setting,final opening 3/4 so...?Really confused...I dont have problems with tickover and running right now,although recently I fit stick coils from a Busa and now its even better...Only sometimes,when I stop and try to go it makes sound like its flooding,rarely but happens...And my spark plugs are not only sooty but covered with wet black carbon deposit on it...I was thinking to screw in all the pilot jet screws another 1/2 turn in,to make A/F ratio leaner little bit..
post #9 of 18 Old 01-06-2011, 8:10 PM Thread Starter

Just to make sure I get things right-idle screws(little bras screws) controls the amount of air or fuel in the A/F ratio?By turning it clockwise you stop the fuel or air in the mixture..??
post #10 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 4:37 AM

My manual says 2 turns out as initial setting. 2 1/2 (give or take) is the usual standard for all carbs I've worked on. Your plugs would suggest a few other things to look at.
OK, this is the procedure I would follow.
1. Is the choke returning fully, the operating bar can get crusted in crud.
2. Are the floats set at the right height (but if this problem is over all cylinders I would not initially be looking here).
3. Are the floats working properly, no flooding through bad needle valves. Again unlikely over all cylinders.
4. Are the pilot jets correct size.
5. Blocked airfilter. Although this does not usually affect tickover running to any great extent.

The Kei Hins fitted to Hondas are a far more reliable device than the Mikunis fitted to Yamahas, and are not usually beset by these problems. One thing I have found to be vital on Mikunis for tickover reliability is to ensure the rubber O ring on the tip of the adjuster screw is fitted and in good condition. To be honest, I dont think I ever took my pilot screws out so I can't be sure that yours actually have this sealing O ring fitted.
What I would like confirming is:- Is your engine breather hose 'pumping' gases and to what level.
Are you absolutely certain that your oil level is correct? This might seem elementary and I apologise if you have checked, but I have seen bikes filled to the upper oil level in the window with the bike on the sidestand. This will overfill the engine by a large margin, leading to oily gasses from the breather, straight into the carbs, MOST noticable at tickover / low revs.
A tool I have found invaluable for setting up pilots jets is an INFRARED THERMOMETER. Get a cheap one, but capable of reading up to 1000 degrees F. Along with a vacuum gauge, this allows you to balance carbs both for evenness of running AND for even cylinder temperiture. Adjust the pilots untill you get each cylinder within a few degrees of each other DISREGARDING differences in screw setting. Each cylinder works slightly differently so there is not a one setting suits all adjustment.
In your case, I really dont think that there is much amiss. Just to confirm, I would get it warm and do a few high rev passes and then inspect your plugs. If they are still dirty then report back.
cheers
post #11 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the great post!!!And yes I tend to fill the engine with 4l of oil instead of 3,8..think 200 grams of oil isnt a big deal,mybe I was wrong...You say 2and 1/2 turns..mine now is 1 and 1/2 set...I was thinking of carb synchronisation this winter so one good carb claen,inspection of valves and synch after all will be good ideaSo the little bras screw controls fuel in the mixture..?turning it clockwise makes the mixture lean and vis-versa..?I've noticed something else..on deceleraton there are pop-ups in the exhaust,not much but sometimes...I have a race open exhaust so maybe that hels for that
post #12 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobromir View Post
Thank you for the great post!!!And yes I tend to fill the engine with 4l of oil instead of 3,8..think 200 grams of oil isnt a big deal,mybe I was wrong...You say 2and 1/2 turns..mine now is 1 and 1/2 set...I was thinking of carb synchronisation this winter so one good carb claen,inspection of valves and synch after all will be good ideaSo the little bras screw controls fuel in the mixture..?turning it clockwise makes the mixture lean and vis-versa..?I've noticed something else..on deceleraton there are pop-ups in the exhaust,not much but sometimes...I have a race open exhaust so maybe that hels for that

The amount of oil is not relevant.
What matters is that the _level_ is between the lines in the window with the bike held vertical on its tyres.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Ah, a race can... Did you fit it or was it on the bike? It might be that the PO has rejetted to suit. If its a really antisocial 'straight through' then some popping can be expected, as can LEAN running. It does tend to suggest a re-jet has gone on sometime in the past.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

The can was fitted by the previous owner without rejetting at all..Only the can,no sport filter or setting the carbs..Maybe this can requires better airflow filter too?
About the oil-manual says 3.8l with filter change,I fill it with 4,Ihave no issues for 20k km of riding and 4 oil changes
pop-ups mean running lean,not rich?I was thinking its rich and my explanation was that there isnt enough O2 for the burning ,so unburnt fuel enters the exhaust and popping up occurs..
post #15 of 18 Old 01-10-2011, 9:03 AM Thread Starter

Ok,so far what i understand,little idle screw controls the amount of air in the A/F mixture...unscrewing it ,,gives'' more air in the mixture and turning it clockwise reduce air...So mine is 1 1/2 open now and maybe thats why it runs on the rich side...setting it to 2 or 2 1/2 probbably will fix it right will try and post again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page