Swapping engines - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 4:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Swapping engines

I am swapping motors in my 954 due to 2nd and 4th gear issues. What else should be looked at or replaced while it is apart?

Here is my list so far.

Valve check
Leakdown test
Tires, chain, and sprockets.
Brake pads
Fork seals if needed
Wheel bearings

Is there anything I have missed? What are the common fail points on 954's? The frame and forks have approx 35k. New engine has 16k.

Thanks ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 8:29 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: Swapping engines

Why not simply replace the two gears?

While the bike is in pieces, check the wiring to the r/r, the connector likes to melt!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 9:47 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 10

The cost of the new motor matched that of the potential gears and shift fork that I'm sure are worn. I have plans for the old motor as well.

I will check the r/r connection. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Bag (ziplock) and tag (write on the bag) every group of bolts you remove. Do this and you will thank me later.

You will have to replace the main bearing bolts. They are torque-to-yield on the 954.

May as well look at the clutch. Check the metal plates for bluing, indicating that they got hot. Make sure you put the clutch plates back in same direction they came out. There will be a sharp(er) edge on one side than the other.

You have to remove the clutch basket to get to a bearing retainer that spans the parting line between the upper and lower cases. Can't split the cases unless you do this.

Speaking of splitting the cases, don't forget about the bolts that on the top side! They are towards the back half of the engine and go through to the transmission area. In thought I was gonna bust the cases trying to get them apart. I turned the engine over and dammit, there they were.

I took the clutch plates out and stuffed rags where the clutch plates were. I packed them tight with a screwdriver. Then I used and electric impact wrench to remove the center nut that hold the clutch basket on. Don't mess with trying to use a breaker bar on that.

I would check out the shift forks for signs of obvious wear.

Check the shift drum too. I had a bad one in the Craigslist motor I bought this summer.

Check your oil pump pickup screen for debris. I had a bunch of it from the bad gears (2nd gear on mine). I ended up replacing it.

Use Hondabond HT on the parting line between the cases when you go back together with it. Do not use Hondabond 4 for that or any other gasketless application. Only use Honadabond 4 for applications that have a gasket.

If you are thinking about replacing the CCT, whether it be with the stock one or a manual one, now is the time. It's a bitch to get too after the motor has been reinstalled. I had to drop the exhaust and lower the engine do that.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

2002 CBR954RR, 1998 VFR800

Last edited by Deadsmiley; 01-06-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page