top speed?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

top speed??

I was ridin the other night and decided to see just what my new bike would do! Well I went out on a back highway and got to what the speedometer said was 183 but Ive read on here that you can really rely on what the stock speedo says. I have no idea if sprockets have been changed and I was just wanting to know what the top speed was supposed to be on a 98 900? And Im sure this has been answered on here before, but the only way I can get on here right now is on my phone, and it wont let me search. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 01-10-2011, 3:43 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: top speed??

Stock speed is about 10% out so about 165mph
post #3 of 98 Old 01-10-2011, 4:19 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

You decided to do this at night

Keep that sorta speed for the track and off the public highways. Ride Safe

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 Old 01-10-2011, 5:45 AM

Reputation Power: 41

It is intruiging to knwo though isn't it.

on the approx 165mph. Later bikes have more accurate speedos, but you can't still expect a small % overread now.

Sometimes I wish I was a faster rider, but there's no heroes in the graveyard..............
post #5 of 98 Old 01-10-2011, 8:06 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypse99 View Post
I was ridin the other night and decided to see just what my new bike would do! Well I went out on a back highway and got to what the speedometer said was 183 but Ive read on here that you can really rely on what the stock speedo says. I have no idea if sprockets have been changed and I was just wanting to know what the top speed was supposed to be on a 98 900? And Im sure this has been answered on here before, but the only way I can get on here right now is on my phone, and it wont let me search. Thanx

160-165mph depending on state of tune and drag.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 98 Old 01-11-2011, 8:37 PM

Reputation Power: 12

165 ish sounds bout right. when i installed my speed DRD i had to put in 15 % correction factor ( -1 in front), checked with a gps. anyhow, 167 mph on my bike and it felt like it was still pulling when i chopped it.

zero gravity windscreen. reverse / gp shift/ -1 down front sprocket/ speedo drd corrector. bazzaz z-bomb yosh case/stem nut/ oil fill/hotbodies under tail, rideit blk. long levers , sato street hooks, intergrated smoke tail lite lens, HRC solo cowl,yosh carbon/carbon R-77 pipe.
post #7 of 98 Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Just to clarify, by night I mean it was about 6 and still light out, and I live in the middle of Kansas and the only track we have is a drag track and its not even open right now. And I think that this bike did have some kind of work done to it, cause Im a big guy, 6'6" about 350lbs, and it hit 165 with no problem and another gear left to go!

Last edited by Eklypse99; 01-11-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: left part of it out
post #8 of 98 Old 01-12-2011, 5:01 PM

Reputation Power: 41

Sounds like it has had some work done. A healthy speed for a rider your size.

There is some life in the old girl.

Enjoy.

Sometimes I wish I was a faster rider, but there's no heroes in the graveyard..............
post #9 of 98 Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just to clarify, by night I mean it was about 6 and still light out, and I live in the middle of Kansas and the only track we have is a drag track and its not even open right now. And I think that this bike did have some kind of work done to it, cause Im a big guy, 6'6" about 350lbs, and it hit 165 with no problem and another gear left to go!

It must have lowered gearing, what size front sprocket are you running?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 98 Old 01-13-2011, 1:08 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
no offense....but that has one helluva engine to hit 183 (or 160-165 as others pointed out would be closer to the real speed) with you in the seat. The weight and aeros will be a major factor in top end speed.

look what new liter bikes need for power to hit those speeds...so for your 98 900 (which I think is a 883cc) to pull up into those speeds sounds a bit odd. Also what work has be done to your bike??

Also...do you think the cops will let you go if you tell them a track is too far and the highway was you only option to top out the bike?? Be safe and responisible on the roads....we bikers as a whole already get enough flack, and we do need you to end up as just another statistic.
post #11 of 98 Old 01-13-2011, 7:34 AM Thread Starter

I dont know much about this bike, I just bought it and now its way cold, as I dont have a shop, and the highs right now are in the teens, to look at it! If ya look at one of my last threads I was told that the bike had been bored to a 1250, but then was told on here that that was impossible. I know my size would be a factor in it goin that fast, and thats why I asked the question. And as far as the cops if I get pulled over, Im related to 2 of the sheriffs officers here and am pretty good friends with most of the rest. I know its not the best idea to go that fast, but when the adrenaline gets pumpin, its hard to stop! As soon as it warms up a little, which I hope is REAL soon, I will get to lookin at the bike more, and see how many teeth the sprockets have. It was also mentioned in my last thread, that it might have a a blackbird motor in it, where do I find numbers on the block to see what it really has?
post #12 of 98 Old 01-13-2011, 8:23 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I dont know much about this bike, I just bought it and now its way cold, as I dont have a shop, and the highs right now are in the teens, to look at it! If ya look at one of my last threads I was told that the bike had been bored to a 1250, but then was told on here that that was impossible. I know my size would be a factor in it goin that fast, and thats why I asked the question. And as far as the cops if I get pulled over, Im related to 2 of the sheriffs officers here and am pretty good friends with most of the rest. I know its not the best idea to go that fast, but when the adrenaline gets pumpin, its hard to stop! As soon as it warms up a little, which I hope is REAL soon, I will get to lookin at the bike more, and see how many teeth the sprockets have. It was also mentioned in my last thread, that it might have a a blackbird motor in it, where do I find numbers on the block to see what it really has?
How is being related to two officers going to help you?
If I were a LEO and pulled over my brother doing that on the road it wouldn't make any difference to me if we were related or not. You know the penalty before you do it so you can't complain.
The engine number will tell you what engine it is.

Last edited by bladeracer; 01-13-2011 at 8:43 AM.
post #13 of 98 Old 01-13-2011, 8:34 AM Thread Starter

Im not complaining and I dont ask to get let off or expect it, it just happens! If I get pulled over I own up to what I did. And where is the engine number located on the block?
post #14 of 98 Old 01-13-2011, 8:38 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Im not complaining and I dont ask to get let off or expect it, it just happens! If I get pulled over I own up to what I did. And where is the engine number located on the block?

On the right side above the clutch cover.

post #15 of 98 Old 01-13-2011, 3:22 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
On the right side above the clutch cover.

sorry for thread jacking but my engine number doesn't match with the vin on the frame. I noticed that on my F4i as well. Actually, they don't even have the same amount of digits. Kinda wierd.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page