Cam chain tensioner (CCT): common issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 7:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cam chain tensioner (CCT): common issues

Dear all,

firstable, sorry for my poor english because I am a french future 954 rider looking for some informations from the other side of the channel !

I have read in various forums that Honda CCT are known to die around 40-50000 KM (around 35000 Miles), or at least they are a well known weakness on fireblades.

What I wonder is:
-where is the weakness coming from ? Is there a spring in the CCT that soften through time ? Is the mecanism simply getting dirty, which causes the CCT does not work properly ?
-why do people replace this part by a manual tensioner ? In my understanding, it is worst as the tension of the cam chain is not guaranteed with progressive wear of chain guide for example... But I could have understood wrong !

In other words: is it compulsory to replace CCT when you hear a typical knocking noise ? Can't we just clean it (using ultrasonic chamber for example) or adjust it ?

Thank you in advance for your advices and feedback.
Pierre-Alain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 7:40 AM

Reputation Power: 122

Re: Cam chain tensioner (CCT): common issues

Not sure about the 954 CCT, I never had a problem with mine in the 8 years I rode it, or heard of anyone else's for that matter, but did have a problem with my zx6r and my crf450r. I think it is the spring that goes bad, a manual CCT that you can adjust yourself and lock down is definately the best way to go, I really don't think cleaning it will do anything to fix it. On my crf450 I saw on another forum a guy made the stock one into a manual one, of course after I had already bought one Anyways hope it helps, good luck
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 4:42 AM Thread Starter

Good morning,

in fact I plan to buy a friend's CBR 954, which clearly makes a knocking noise when starting cold. So it is very likely that cam chain tensioner is really "tired" and needs to be replaced.
I also read several posts in which manual CCT is considered as Graal...and I must admit I am a little sceptic:
-I couldn't find any argumented pros and cons, neither feedback (except it does not make noise any longer right after mounting...)
-At first, I would say that having a fixed setting (understand a fixed tension on the chain) is not the best way to manage wear over time...having an automatic CCT is supposed to be a countermeasure for it.
-Automatic CCT may weaken km after km, can't we do anything to fix it ?

So, if anyone has some experience with replacing an automatic one with a manual one (not "how to", it's pretty easy, but more: "experience after xxx KM"), I would be very pleased to discuss about it.

Bye
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 7:09 AM

Reputation Power: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by padouane View Post
Good morning,

in fact I plan to buy a friend's CBR 954, which clearly makes a knocking noise when starting cold.
-At first, I would say that having a fixed setting (understand a fixed tension on the chain) is not the best way to manage wear over time...having an automatic CCT is supposed to be a countermeasure for it.
-
1st in my years of roadracing and riding dirt bikes, that is the first time I ever heard someone say an auto CCT is better than a manual one. It Doesn't take much to check the tension every 10k miles or so. Plus I don't think the problem is the CCT, because it would make noise all the time and not just when it is cold. Good Luck!!
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 7:55 AM

Reputation Power: 166

CCT's aren't that expensive or difficult to change, if you are concerned about it I would say just change it and be done.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Reputation Power: 78

My 929 had a knock/tick on cold starts, replaced the CCT last week with a manual one and now it sounds like new.

The top bolt on the 929/954 CCT is a huge pain to get to. Tilt the engine forward to expose the bolt more!
post #7 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 8:06 AM

Hi. Am in the middle of changing cam chain tensioner and can't get enough socket onto top bolt to loosen it. Any thoughts? What exactly is involved in tilting engine forward? I tried loosening rear pinch bolt and removing both front and middle mounting bolts but engine didn't move. Do I need to loosen anything else to tilt the engine or is there a way of getting the bolt off (special tool?) without further dismantling? Thanks
post #8 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywhiting View Post
Hi. Am in the middle of changing cam chain tensioner and can't get enough socket onto top bolt to loosen it. Any thoughts? What exactly is involved in tilting engine forward? I tried loosening rear pinch bolt and removing both front and middle mounting bolts but engine didn't move. Do I need to loosen anything else to tilt the engine or is there a way of getting the bolt off (special tool?) without further dismantling? Thanks
Its a little tricky to tilt the engine, because the swinarm will move also as they are attached.

If you can fit a bar through the swingarm pivot, and get the bike in the air using that as your hoist point, loosen the two upper engine mounts and you'll be able to push the engine down/forward maybe an inch or two, giving you enough room for a wrench. I never could get a socket on there, even with all sorts of gadgets (pivots, extensions)
post #9 of 12 Old 07-31-2011, 5:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've got an abba superbike stand that lifts the bike by the swingarm pivot; would I simply need to put a jack under the rear wheel then to tilt the engine forward? Thanks again. Andy
post #10 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 4:23 PM

My F2 had one when I bought it and was not set correctly, when I set it right all the valve noise was gone and the bike ran extremely well, far better then before. That bike had 40k miles. This weekend I will be putting one on my RR, as it has a knock that is only audible above 3k when the bike is warm. Using a stethoscope only place I could here it was in the top of the CCT(cam chain tensioner) and it was so loud I had to back away..
post #11 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 5:46 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Hello Padouane,

I've never eard of week CCT on 954, but I know the GSX-R of the same years had a problem with there CCT and yes, most customer I've served replaced them with a manual tensioner. Solve the proble right away for a lot cheaper. Some time, we could also just force the CCT into it's next click and it solved the problem.
Hope this help you out!

Salut Padouane,

Je ne suis pas au courant de problèmes de CCT sur les 954, mais je sais que les GSX-R des mêmes années avaient ce problème avec leurs CCT et oui, plusieur des clients que je servais à l'époque on opté pour un tendeur manuel. Il rêgle le problème instantanément pour beaucoup moins d'argent. Quelque fois, on pouvais juste forcer le CCT dans sont prochain Click, ce qui règlait aussi le problème.
J'espère que le tout t'aideras!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 5:42 PM

Reputation Power: 10

almost every honda has a problem with there cct i have owned 8 hondas now dirt/street and all but one has went out on me its just the spring that takes a crap. just fix it and move on no reason to try and make a big deal about it get over it or buy a yamaha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page