inverted - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-24-2011
Location: canada
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
inverted

After discovering that the sp2 triple tree stem/bearings are too big for my frame I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what triple tree's I could use on my 1998 CBR 900 that will enable me to use my sp2 rc51 inverted forks....


thanks
diovol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 6:41 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by diovol View Post
After discovering that the sp2 triple tree stem/bearings are too big for my frame I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what triple tree's I could use on my 1998 CBR 900 that will enable me to use my sp2 rc51 inverted forks....


thanks
Have you tried pressing the stem out of your 900RR lower clamp and machining it to fit the SP2 clamp?
That's what I did to put an '04 GSXR600 frontend on my '98 ZX6R.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 7:14 PM
 
Join Date: 07-12-2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: inverted

IS it the stem itself that is to big? Or just the bearings? I would imagine you could find bearings to make it work if that is the case
Krazed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 7:21 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
IS it the stem itself that is to big? Or just the bearings? I would imagine you could find bearings to make it work if that is the case
That would certainly be the first thing to investigate.
With the GSXR/ZX6R though there aren't bearings available to suit the OD of the frame and the ID of the stem so it was easier to swap the stem across and just use standard ZX6R bearings.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 8:01 PM
 
Join Date: 07-12-2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
That would certainly be the first thing to investigate.
With the GSXR/ZX6R though there aren't bearings available to suit the OD of the frame and the ID of the stem so it was easier to swap the stem across and just use standard ZX6R bearings.
That is why I want to clarify. I thought I had read that you just had to change out the bearings for this swap, but I read so many things I couldnt have told you where. Or if it was even truth
Krazed is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 9:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-24-2011
Location: canada
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: inverted

900 rr stem with sp2 triples are not compatible...

here are the bearing specs for the 900
Top 26x47x15
bottom 30x55x17

SP2 bearings
top 35x55x14
bottom 35x55x14
diovol is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by diovol View Post
After discovering that the sp2 triple tree stem/bearings are too big for my frame I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what triple tree's I could use on my 1998 CBR 900 that will enable me to use my sp2 rc51 inverted forks....


thanks
you could have a shop mill out the diameter for you to suit the rc forks.
BurtonF166 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 1:12 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by diovol View Post
900 rr stem with sp2 triples are not compatible...

here are the bearing specs for the 900
Top 26x47x15
bottom 30x55x17

SP2 bearings
top 35x55x14
bottom 35x55x14
Not compatible?
You would use the 900RR stem with 900RR bearings in the SP2 clamps.
Those numbers are very similar to the GSXR/ZX6R swap I did. The GSXR bearings are too big to machine out the ZX6R frame to fit them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 1:13 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
you could have a shop mill out the diameter for you to suit the rc forks.

I doubt that's possible.
900RR forks are 45mm from memory?
The SP2 inverts are probably 50mm and 54mm or something like that?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 1:27 AM
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
Re: inverted

Wow, there be better lots of meat on those triples!
BurtonF166 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-24-2011
Location: canada
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Not compatible?
You would use the 900RR stem with 900RR bearings in the SP2 clamps.
Those numbers are very similar to the GSXR/ZX6R swap I did. The GSXR bearings are too big to machine out the ZX6R frame to fit them.

Think, then I would have to machine a bushing to go into the upper and lower triple tree to take up the extra room of the sp2 stem. The bushing would have to have an interference fit of .001"-.002" to work......
better of getting different triple trees that way there can be no failures.
diovol is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 3:07 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by diovol View Post
Think, then I would have to machine a bushing to go into the upper and lower triple tree to take up the extra room of the sp2 stem. The bushing would have to have an interference fit of .001"-.002" to work......
better of getting different triple trees that way there can be no failures.
Yes, that would be the machining I mentioned in my first post.
What are the diameter of the bottom of the stems where they fit into each lower clamp and where they fit through the upper clamp?
What is difficult about the interference fit and why would a bushing fail?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 4:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-24-2011
Location: canada
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Yes, that would be the machining I mentioned in my first post.
What are the diameter of the bottom of the stems where they fit into each lower clamp and where they fit through the upper clamp?
What is difficult about the interference fit and why would a bushing fail?

well there is nothing difficult about maching but i can see a problem with the bushings due to the amount of force the neck takes everytime a wheelie is done and so on......

much easier to use correct size tree's and you get the same effect for less money..... and headache
diovol is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 9:45 PM
 
Join Date: 07-12-2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: inverted

... A bushing should not cause issues.. especially if you use proper materials.
Krazed is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by diovol View Post
well there is nothing difficult about maching but i can see a problem with the bushings due to the amount of force the neck takes everytime a wheelie is done and so on......

much easier to use correct size tree's and you get the same effect for less money..... and headache
The greatest force in the stem is during braking but it won't be any kind of problem. I shimmed my top clamp and clip-ons with copper shim to fit the ZX6R top clamp onto the smaller GSXR forks. And I cut the clamp in half so it would fit the fork spacing and offset and drop down far enough to reach the shorter forks, then simply bolted a plate of 8mm aluminium across the top to hold it together. That was five years ago and I've had no problems at all.
Attached Thumbnails
November 12th 2006 021sm.jpg‎   November 15th 2006 007sm.jpg‎   November 15th 2006 004.jpg‎   November 15th 2006 022sm.jpg‎  


"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
inverted fork options??? BadBrad Honda Naked Sportbikes 43 08-31-2012 6:50 AM
inverted front end cbr900rar Wanted 2 11-18-2010 3:50 PM
wanted inverted front end. paully Wanted 7 12-20-2008 12:41 PM
900RR and Inverted Forks? epyongsr Honda FireBlade 20 12-18-2008 3:15 PM
F2/F3 Inverted Fork Options - Interchange Thread SoCal94F2 Honda CBR 600 1 11-13-2007 3:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome