HRC or Erion Racing Cams? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HRC or Erion Racing Cams?

Has anyone used or is using non-stock cams. eg. HRC or Erion?

Which of the two would you recomend? Also, is there anything else which would be needed to complement the cams eg. valves etc?

Is there a major difference to the bike when installed?

And the BIG question, are they worth it?

Sorry about all those questions, but I'm considering buying a set.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 11:27 AM

Re: HRC or Erion Racing Cams?

Honda does a pretty crappy job of cleaning up their head castings on these bikes. I polished my exhaust ports, and it made a significant difference. You may want to consider that mod if you're going to spend that kind of money on the head.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I have Erion cams in my 929 and it feels about 8-10 hp stronger above 9k. Below 4k it's a dog, definately not for a streetbike. I did some cam timing over the winter to close the intake cam a little sooner (3deg) to get some bottom end back. I have not ridden it yet (I live in the N.E.- SNOW!). But I am sure it will be better.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ

Last edited by CBRBob; 02-02-2004 at 8:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-31-2004, 3:09 PM
Supporting Member

CBRBob,
Please let me know if this helps at all. I too have the Erion drop in cams.
TIA
post #5 of 17 Old 02-01-2004, 1:10 PM

What are the lift and duration specs on the Erion drop in cams?
post #6 of 17 Old 02-02-2004, 1:44 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
I have Erion cams in my 929 and it feels about 8-10 hp stronger above 9k. Below 4k it's a dog, definately not for a streetbike. I did some cam timing over the winter to close the intake cam a little sooner (3deg) to get some bottom end back. I have not ridden it yet (I like in the N.E. SNOW!). But I am sure it will be better.
Do you have the "drop in" Erion cams? I might be mistaken but doesn't Erion make an even "hotter" set than the "drop in's"? Also, where did you get them and what did they set you back?
post #7 of 17 Old 02-02-2004, 8:02 AM

Closing the cams a few deg. sooner HAS TO move the power down the rpm range a bit. That's just reality. The way it made power was building all the way to redline. If you can make the power start to fall off 500rpm before redline you have the best setup. What that did was move the available power lower in the rpm range where you use it instead of just at redline and above.
These are the drop in cams, I have the specs at home on the cam cards. PM me this evening and I will let you know.

CBR Bob
post #8 of 17 Old 02-02-2004, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBumps
What are the lift and duration specs on the Erion drop in cams?
(not at you) Those ASSHOLES at Erion will not give you any meaningful info on their cams. Therefore, I went with Moriwakis.

I maybe only gained a couple of peak HP, but they pull much harder into the limiter. They also sound pretty wicked. IMO, it's not money well spent unless you plan on doing more than I did, Serpents, Airbox, PCIIIr, race fuel, Ti retainers, bored throttle bodies and decked head.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-02-2004 at 9:11 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 2:56 AM

Is anyone running the Erion "drop ins" on the street? If so what are your thoughts? Also, did you have to degree the cams to get the hp increase you got or did you simply "drop them in" with stock degree settings? I have the Serpents, HR fiberglass CA ducts, FP velocity stacks and PC111r. Thinking about the cams and then custom map but hesitant on the on the cams on the street. Any opinions?
Thanks
post #10 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cRider
Is anyone running the Erion "drop ins" on the street? If so what are your thoughts? Also, did you have to degree the cams to get the hp increase you got or did you simply "drop them in" with stock degree settings? I have the Serpents, HR fiberglass CA ducts, FP velocity stacks and PC111r. Thinking about the cams and then custom map but hesitant on the on the cams on the street. Any opinions?
Thanks
Just out of curiosity......what sort of difference did the velocity stacks make ?
post #11 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

So, after 253 views so far, are they worth it for the street? Is anything else required besides the "drop-in" cams? eg. valves etc..

I'm having a hard time getting a response from ER

Thanks
post #12 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens954
So, after 253 views so far, are they worth it for the street? Is anything else required besides the "drop-in" cams? eg. valves etc.. I'm having a hard time getting a response from ER
Thanks
Street, no, they really kill anything below 5k-ish and 5-8k-ish is about the same. I did the drop in last year. When I went to degree them I checked the specs and they were spot-on what the cam card said
I talked to Marc S. at Factory and he suggested advancing the intake cam only 3-4 deg, especially with the FP velocity stacks. So thats what I did. I havent ridden the bike because its a race bike and I live in NJ (read SNOW!)
Here are the Erion cam specs off the card...
Int. Adv dur 36o-56c 272dur. [email protected] 22o-42c 244dur
Exh. 53o-33c 266dur 39o-19c 238dur

100deg lobe centers. It measured 100.5deg. I was shooting for 104 and got it.

Hope this helps you all.

CBR Bob
post #13 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 9:26 PM
Supporting Member

CBRBob,
You seem to be quite knowledgeable of these things, and seem to have some experience. Perhaps you can help me with these questions. As stated earlier, I too have the Erion "drop in" cams. I also recently purchased a PC3r to be able to adjust ignition timing. You mentioned having adjustable cam sprockets for your cams. The question is (Quetion #1): Are these two things (cam timing and ignition timing) two different ways of adjusting the same thing, or do they each have a purpose? It seems to me that each one would have its own purpose but do I do not have a lot of experience with either one. (Question #2) Did you go about any means when adjusting your cam sprockets by using a degree wheel, etc, etc., or did you use the stock marks and go from there?

Anyone else that has any info, please chime in.

TIA
post #14 of 17 Old 02-03-2004, 9:38 PM
Supporting Member

3cRider,
I use my bike for street. Would not recommend the Erion cams (or race cams at all). For what they cost ($650) I don't think they made that much of a difference. They definately do pull harder on top end into redline. As far as low end, not sure if I lost or stayed the same, probably lost as this seems to be the trend. With the 929 already bogging down around 3k, it doesn't help to add to it by adding cams. Now that I've invested into a set, I figure I better use them. I also have motor work (2mm overbore (13:1 compression), port polished head) done so I'm hoping they will help a little more.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-04-2004, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyboy
Just out of curiosity......what sort of difference did the velocity stacks make ?
I didn't dyno the bike before or after the install. But it feels like it pulls harder from 7k on up with no loss below that. FP claims a 2-3 hp increase. In my opinion they're worth the $. They also made the intake honk alot louder, sounds mean when you crack it open now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page