HTEV - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 9:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

HTEV

I got my 954 dyno'd yesterday and custom mapped, it only has an akrapovic end can and bmc filter, the tuner was very impressed with it but reckons i should get rid of the htev and flapper in the airbox and he will adjust my map free of charge, he has the torque line very straight so its strong right through the revs, 139.3 bhp and 73.8 torque,
its a street bike so just want opinions of people who have done it and will i lose low end power thats worth talkin about, the tuner reckons i wont and my motor is very strong,
my htev is a bit rattly but servo and flapper are all working perfectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 9:44 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: HTEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by levin View Post
I got my 954 dyno'd yesterday and custom mapped, it only has an akrapovic end can and bmc filter, the tuner was very impressed with it but reckons i should get rid of the htev and flapper in the airbox and he will adjust my map free of charge, he has the torque line very straight so its strong right through the revs, 139.3 bhp and 73.8 torque,
its a street bike so just want opinions of people who have done it and will i lose low end power thats worth talkin about, the tuner reckons i wont and my motor is very strong,
my htev is a bit rattly but servo and flapper are all working perfectly

Unplug your servo motor, turn the servo so the airbox flapper is open and go for a ride. The bike will be exactly as it is now above 8000rpm since the HTEV and flapper are open anyway.
The loss in midrange without the HTEV is noticeable but not significant - it is a litre-class bike after all.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 9:52 AM Thread Starter

cheers for the reply,
Ill try want you said but i think the tuner was goin to tweak the map for me so i wont be losing any midrange, would you do it or not???
Also is it best to have the htev welded fully open or remove it and cover with a plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 9:57 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
cheers for the reply,
Ill try want you said but i think the tuner was goin to tweak the map for me so i wont be losing any midrange, would you do it or not???
Also is it best to have the htev welded fully open or remove it and cover with a plate
I had my HTEV open for a long time before I went with a full Akrapovic system.
Just leave it open. You can wire it in place if you're concerned about it moving but mine never did. No reason to weld it or remove it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

if i just unplug the servo it will show a warning light, thats why i was thinking of leaving the servo plugged in and stripping everything else out,
all the info i can find on the net is some say its better , some say not,
so im unsure if i should do it , i like the way the bike is now , very strong through the gears ,
its just the htev is a bit rattly and the tuner thinks i should do it,
yeh or neh???
and as i said its a street bike
post #6 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
if i just unplug the servo it will show a warning light, thats why i was thinking of leaving the servo plugged in and stripping everything else out,
all the info i can find on the net is some say its better , some say not,
so im unsure if i should do it , i like the way the bike is now , very strong through the gears ,
its just the htev is a bit rattly and the tuner thinks i should do it,
yeh or neh???
and as i said its a street bike

My MIL has been on since '04 at least - it has no effect on the bike at all.
That's why I suggest you simply try it for yourself and see if you like it.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

ok sound advice , ill give it a try and if i like it i can return the servo and stip everything out and if i dont just plug the servo back in
post #8 of 15 Old 01-29-2011, 7:21 PM
hfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I've got a 929 and had it dyno'd with a custom map 139.04bhp and 71.57 torque standard air filter and leo vince end can. I've done the air filter flapper mod but left the htev valve working cos didn't like the mid range power I lost when locked open fully. had it locked in the position between 3000-8000rpm which was ok but lost low down power for riding round town etc. Would be interesting to look at your power curves on your chart if you could post it up. Which dyno was used by your tuner?
post #9 of 15 Old 01-29-2011, 7:39 PM Thread Starter

the dyno was S14LCLI Dyno link to itDyno Centre
the tuner was very impressed with it and reckons alot of dyno's in the country are reading higher than his
Attached Thumbnails
dyno 954 001.jpg‎  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2011, 7:47 PM
hfb

Your power curve is very similar to mine with the slight dip at 7000rpm. are you using standard gearing.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-29-2011, 8:01 PM Thread Starter

-1 on the front
post #12 of 15 Old 01-30-2011, 5:44 PM
hfb

same as me then, ok cheers.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-30-2011, 8:41 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Send a message via Yahoo to letsride

If you have a power commander, then it will benefit from the htev valve removed or left wide open.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 57

Garage

Check out this site directly from Honda. This confirms the reasoning for the flapper and HTEV are environmental and have nothing to do with the performance of the motorcycle. I came across this site while searching the web this morning about the HTEV in Honda sportbike's.

Honda Worldwide | Noise Reduction

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2011, 1:01 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
Check out this site directly from Honda. This confirms the reasoning for the flapper and HTEV are environmental and have nothing to do with the performance of the motorcycle. I came across this site while searching the web this morning about the HTEV in Honda sportbike's.

Honda Worldwide | Noise Reduction

Actually, it says they got improved engine performance in addition to less noise.

"For the CBR 1000RR, launched in the domestic market in April 2004, we achieved a level of noise reduction that is below the third noise regulation standards by using the following noise reduction technologies."

"The variable exhaust system that controls the diameter of the exhaust pipe according to driving condition is placed on the exhaust pipe manifold. This system improved output characteristics and achieved an excellent level of quietness as a result of the exhaust noise reduction."

"Variable intake system. By installing a variable intake system to control the intake opening at the front part of the duct, we improved output characteristics while significantly reducing intake noise."

Good find though. Nice to see official recognition that these do play a role in areas other than performance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page