Coolant leak, only happened once... overflow? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-29-2011, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Coolant leak, only happened once... overflow?

Hey guys

I have a 2000 929RR with 25k miles...and Ive never seen my bike over 223 degrees here in FL while sitting, usually 175-180 riding..

About a week ago it appeared that the coolant res was low so I filled her all the way up. I have never actually heard the fan running as I turned the bike off, but I did today... and as I walked away, i noticed a little coolant on the ground underneath. (3"x4" spot maybe) I let the bike run again at idle, got up to 223, and shot back down to 218ish and hovered around there, but no more coolant on the ground. Maybe Im paranoid, but Im not gonna wanna ride it if its leaking coolant, but is it possible I overfilled it and it came out the overflow today as the t-stat opened? (if there is even a overflow, I dont know?). It only happened that one time and I havent gotten it to do it again since then...thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2011, 6:46 PM

Re: Coolant leak, only happened once... overflow?

I once filled my coolant reservoir too full. Not wanting to drain it back down to the "full mark" line, I just left it as was. Rode it up to big bear, did some walking around a bit and came back and noticed a significant puddle of coolant on the ground. I was a bit shocked, but not surprised given that I had over filled it only hours before. I started it up and checked for overheating, and it didn't. So though I have no explanation as to why my bike "pee'd" on the ground, I did have a similar experience and didn't have it happen again. Though the lesson I learned from this was not to over fill my reservoir again. =P
post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2011, 9:07 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Ok, I'm not crazy then. My bike pee'd last week after about 5 minutes of running and hasn't done it since. Yes, the coolant in the reservoir was above the top line by a bit. I pulled the fairing off a couple days later, started it up and after 10 minutes, nothing. Everything was dry.

I'll keep an eye on it. We'll see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2011, 1:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk View Post
Ok, I'm not crazy then. My bike pee'd last week after about 5 minutes of running and hasn't done it since. Yes, the coolant in the reservoir was above the top line by a bit. I pulled the fairing off a couple days later, started it up and after 10 minutes, nothing. Everything was dry.

I'll keep an eye on it. We'll see what happens.
haha well thanks to both of you. I rode it again, let it idle and get warm and shut it off after not seeing any leak and went inside and came back out and she pee'd a lil again haha but check coolant tank and it's all the way full..

I'm pretty sure, thanks to you guys, that everything is ok. It's gonna make me paranoid though! Haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page