Traction Pads on the tank??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 5:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Traction Pads on the tank???

On TrackDays, do traction pads on the side of the tank help? Are the essential? My 2010 Honda CBR 1000RR has a tank cover which has 2 compressable side pannels. Will a traction pad interfear with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 5:51 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: Traction Pads on the tank???

Friend of mine on the track doesnt run traction pads. When he is leaning off the bike, all that is really holding him on is his outside food.. Sort of just locks his leg around the seat aha.

It is hard to explain, but he gets extremely far off the bike.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2011, 6:17 PM Thread Starter

When I am in my leathers on my "factory seat" I feel slick as hell, like I could just slide off bike and land on the track. What can fix that. My butt is slick (like I want it) but the knees are slick tooo (like I do not want it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I run Techspec Snake Skins on all my track/race bikes (3 in all). I love them. Use to use them on my street bike when I took her to the track to run 2 up. They help my outside leg really grip in the turns, also help with transitioning between a quick S type turn.

The snake skins are removable, the stomp grips tear my suit up don't really care for them at all. Everyone I know that has tried the snake skins like them. You will get people saying they don't like them, not needed and so on. It is a preference and I prefer them.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 5:10 AM

Reputation Power: 0

+1 for Techspec Snake Skins - outside leg locks in with complete confidence when hanging off, and also a saviour under hard braking...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 9:09 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I installed StompGrip before I read this reply. Now I have a new question??? The product said, "This is not a sticker" and had some crazy instructions on 'How to apply' the StompGrip. I was to scuff the surface and heat with blow-dryer, etc... I just put it on like a sticker and did not go through the trouble. I mean this is a track bike! I will not have that tank cover a year from now! Do you guys think the traction pad will stay on. It felt very sticky, just like a good sticker! It had some air bubbles though!
---Whit
p.s. Yes, I am LAZY......
post #7 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 9:32 AM

Reputation Power: 41

I know a few people with StompGrips on road bikes and they did not rough up the surface.

These guys use them for spirited riding and will want to possibly remove them when they sell the bike. In a way, they protect the paint.

No issues with them coming off either

I put a lot of wax on my tank to make sure I don't damage the paint when gripping with me knees. It is only a cover though.

Sometimes I wish I was a faster rider, but there's no heroes in the graveyard..............
post #8 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks a bunch!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I have stomp pads on my bike and they are amazing, I think I even have a post around here about them. They help me in all circumstances, and look alright as well.

As far as applying them, I didn't skuff up the surface and they stuck great. The first time around I ordered from an internet site and the product I received didn't take.(Old Product) The next time I ordered directly from STOMP and they stuck great. I didn't even use the Special Preparing material that you can also order through them, which helps its stick, but it's permanent. Apparently I should be able to take mine off with no ill effects other than sun fade. Just my experience.

STOMP guys were kind of a-holes. I called and told them that I bought their $40 product and it didn't take. What did they do? Offered to sell me a set for 'Only' $30. I think they could have done a little better than that, considering they already got my money once. OH well
post #10 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Reputation Power: 41

Can't say that I am a fan of the way they look, but the are massively effective

Sometimes I wish I was a faster rider, but there's no heroes in the graveyard..............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page