954 Water Pump Leak - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2011, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

Garage
954 Water Pump Leak

Has anyone else had problems with a water pump leak on their 929/954?

I noticed a small leak along the bottom edge of my water pump. It appears that it has been a small leak for a while but I never had any fluid drip on the floor. I inspected the hole in the back of the water pump and its not clear if the fluid is from a bad mechanical seal or bad o-ring. Since the dried fluid was all across the bottom of the water pump I am going to remove the water pump and change o-ring on the cover and put a new crush washer on the drain bolt along with a new o-ring where the water pump fits in the motor. This option will cost about $13 to get everything shipped to me instead of buying a new water pump. I figure this is worth trying instead of buying a used or new water pump.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: 954 Water Pump Leak

You might try taking off your hoses and inspecting them and the hose connection points on the pump. The hose connection points (where the hoses slip onto the pump) were very corroded on mine and caused a leak. I cleaned them up with a wire brush and reattached the hose and it was fine.

The o-ring won't help you if you have an water leak. It is used to seal off where the water pump enters the block. If it were bad you would have an oil leak, not a water leak.

There is a gasket that could be leaking. It's part number: 19226-MCJ-000 and can be had from Cheapcycleparts.com

2002 CBR954RR, 1998 VFR800
post #3 of 11 Old 02-13-2011, 1:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsmiley View Post
You might try taking off your hoses and inspecting them and the hose connection points on the pump. The hose connection points (where the hoses slip onto the pump) were very corroded on mine and caused a leak. I cleaned them up with a wire brush and reattached the hose and it was fine.

The o-ring won't help you if you have an water leak. It is used to seal off where the water pump enters the block. If it were bad you would have an oil leak, not a water leak.

There is a gasket that could be leaking. It's part number: 19226-MCJ-000 and can be had from Cheapcycleparts.com
I have all the parts ordered to try and fix the water leak. I meant gasket on the cover instead of o-ring. I am replacing the o-ring on the shaft that goes in the motor since I pulled the water pump out to work on it. It costs under $2 so why not change it to prevent the chance of an oil leak once everything is back together. I order all my OEM parts from Ronayers.com out of NC. They are much cheaper for OEM parts. The parts plus $5 shipping from ronayers was $12.47 where the parts alone from cheapcycleparts was $11.07 without shipping.

The fluid was isolated to the bottom edge of my water pump so I hope it just a leaking gasket or drain plug washer. The hoses were stuck so tight to the water pump that I had to use a small screwdriver to seperate the hoses from the water pump. The inside of the water pump and hoses are very clean. No corrosion visible anywhere even in the radiator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Reputation Power: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
Has anyone else had problems with a water pump leak on their 929/954?

I noticed a small leak along the bottom edge of my water pump. It appears that it has been a small leak for a while but I never had any fluid drip on the floor. I inspected the hole in the back of the water pump and its not clear if the fluid is from a bad mechanical seal or bad o-ring. Since the dried fluid was all across the bottom of the water pump I am going to remove the water pump and change o-ring on the cover and put a new crush washer on the drain bolt along with a new o-ring where the water pump fits in the motor. This option will cost about $13 to get everything shipped to me instead of buying a new water pump. I figure this is worth trying instead of buying a used or new water pump.
Weird coincidence, we removed the panels from the 929 last night and found a coolant leak at the water pump. I was actually signing on this morning to post about this and found this. On mine it appears that the leak is were the pump is attached at the block. I am hoping that it is just the o-ring. I wiped it all down last night and it is still dry this morning. Here shortly I am going to start it and let it warm up to operating temp then inspect. Just to be safe I am probably going to get a gasket for the pump also. I was just curious is it was more common for the O-ring to go bad or if it was more common for the pump to go bad?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBackwoods View Post
Weird coincidence, we removed the panels from the 929 last night and found a coolant leak at the water pump. I was actually signing on this morning to post about this and found this. On mine it appears that the leak is were the pump is attached at the block. I am hoping that it is just the o-ring. I wiped it all down last night and it is still dry this morning. Here shortly I am going to start it and let it warm up to operating temp then inspect. Just to be safe I am probably going to get a gasket for the pump also. I was just curious is it was more common for the O-ring to go bad or if it was more common for the pump to go bad?
There is an inspection hole on the bottom of the shaft behind the water pump. If fluid is coming out there you have a bad mechanical seal inside the pump which is not replaceable meaning new water pump. The o-ring on the shaft in the motor is to prevent oil from leaking out of the motor. I am hoping a new gasket for the cover will stop my leak. I really dont want to spend the money to buy a new water pump. Buying used may save some money but it could be bad or go bad very soon.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
There is an inspection hole on the bottom of the shaft behind the water pump. If fluid is coming out there you have a bad mechanical seal inside the pump which is not replaceable meaning new water pump. The o-ring on the shaft in the motor is to prevent oil from leaking out of the motor. I am hoping a new gasket for the cover will stop my leak. I really dont want to spend the money to buy a new water pump. Buying used may save some money but it could be bad or go bad very soon.
Yeah I am going by the book also, I am hoping that it is the O-ring too. A bit of a price differance between the pump and the O-ring.
Glad I noticed this now and not about a week into riding season.

After sitting for a while it appears that it is leaking a little at the block and the bottom of the pump is wet, but nothing at the inspection hole. Parts are ordered and fingers are crossed.

Last edited by NWBackwoods; 02-13-2011 at 3:04 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Yes.. mine (929) was leaking..but only from the pump "shaft oring" bought a new one..put a little grease on it and called it good..iam sure yours will be the same..its common..more common than the pump going
post #8 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKool929 View Post
Yes.. mine (929) was leaking..but only from the pump "shaft oring" bought a new one..put a little grease on it and called it good..iam sure yours will be the same..its common..more common than the pump going
The shaft o-ring is to stop oil from leaking out of the motor not coolant from the water pump. If you have fluid near the inspection hole on the bottom of the shaft then the mechanical seal inside the pump is bad and you have to replace the water pump.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Reputation Power: 12

you know i guess i need to read better.. mine was leaking OIL behind the pump..not coolant
post #10 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 7:50 PM

Well I installed both seals and warmed it up and it appears I lucked out. No more oil or coolant leaks and nothing coming out of the inspection hole.
How did yours go backdoc?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 9:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBackwoods View Post
Well I installed both seals and warmed it up and it appears I lucked out. No more oil or coolant leaks and nothing coming out of the inspection hole.
How did yours go backdoc?
No leak after installing a new gasket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page