98 cbr900 no start!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2011, 2:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 cbr900 no start!!

Hey guys, i started having a MAJOR problem last night. So i took off all of the fairings a while ago because i was going to buy new ones. The weather decided to warm up for a few days this week so i put the old ones back on, tried to start the bike with no such luck. I put some new gas in it thinking it was empty, still nothing.. After about a minute or two of cranking i gave up and came back about an hour later, tried cranking it again and i let off the start button and it shot a huge fireball out of the pipe. Im assuming it sparked once and that was enough to ignite all of the fuel being dumped into it, so i waited a few minutes and tried cranking it again and there was nothing.
This morning i took off the tank and air box and the air filter was saturated with fuel. I havent gotten to the spark plugs yet, so i dont know about them, but im leaning more towards an ignition problem.
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 98 cbr900 no start!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmihal View Post
Hey guys, i started having a MAJOR problem last night. So i took off all of the fairings a while ago because i was going to buy new ones. The weather decided to warm up for a few days this week so i put the old ones back on, tried to start the bike with no such luck. I put some new gas in it thinking it was empty, still nothing.. After about a minute or two of cranking i gave up and came back about an hour later, tried cranking it again and i let off the start button and it shot a huge fireball out of the pipe. Im assuming it sparked once and that was enough to ignite all of the fuel being dumped into it, so i waited a few minutes and tried cranking it again and there was nothing.
This morning i took off the tank and air box and the air filter was saturated with fuel. I havent gotten to the spark plugs yet, so i dont know about them, but im leaning more towards an ignition problem.
Thanks!

Is there fuel in the crankcase at all?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2011, 7:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight
Re: 98 cbr900 no start!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmihal View Post
Thanks!
Remove the tank, spray a short squirt of starting fluid into each air funnel on top of the carbs, take the bike off the kickstand, pull the clutch in even if it's in neutral and try to start it.

No joy? Then pull two plug wires off the spark plugs, one from each coil and check for spark.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page