2008 Blade - fan question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-16-2011, 4:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-24-2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
         
2008 Blade - fan question

Hello All,

Have noticed today that only my RH fan is switching on, temp goes up to 110' when a idle, and can only drop it to 104 ish - and given it was only 7' today don't think it will survive the summer.

I know a volt metre will help identify if power is being sent to fan, but can somebody confirm that either one, or BOTH should switch on / cut in at 104 please, or does the LH one switch on at say 110+

Thanks in advance

Al
AlBlade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 02-16-2011, 4:20 PM
 
Join Date: 07-12-2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

I am just taking a guess at this..

But I believe you are correct that the other fan kicks in at a higher temp.. Makes more sense that way then having both come on at the same time
Krazed is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 02-17-2011, 8:28 AM
 
Join Date: 12-15-2008
Location: england, wiltshire
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
 
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

the fans come at different temperatures.
Have had my 08 over 2 summers now. IT heats up pretty quick in slow moving traffic or stationary. Because of this, it is easy to check if the fans are spinning at their set temperature.
Mine hovers between 105 & 100 don't think I have seen 110.
Check the workshop manual, it is written there. If you can't find it let me know.

Thing to remember is that you bike overheating message is flashing temp gauge.

I would also suggest to put in full synth 10w40 at the next oil change which should give your engine better lube during the hot days
bonjo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 6:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-24-2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
         
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Think something is up with my bike, on the move on Friday its fine, 80'c
Stop at lights and it went upto 110 very quickly, fan DID cut in at 104, but rather than drop it down to 102 and stop it could not drop it below 109.
2nd fan cuts in at 110
I am thinking its radiator fins blocked with mud etc. stopping cooling effect.
It needed 200ml of coolant to get it to 'upper' level
Need to clean rad tomorrow and see if it improves it.

Any other ideas / things to check? - bike starts, stops and runs fine - just temp problem.
AlBlade is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 9:46 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBlade View Post
Think something is up with my bike, on the move on Friday its fine, 80'c
Stop at lights and it went upto 110 very quickly, fan DID cut in at 104, but rather than drop it down to 102 and stop it could not drop it below 109.
2nd fan cuts in at 110
I am thinking its radiator fins blocked with mud etc. stopping cooling effect.
It needed 200ml of coolant to get it to 'upper' level
Need to clean rad tomorrow and see if it improves it.

Any other ideas / things to check? - bike starts, stops and runs fine - just temp problem.
What sort of ambient temps are you riding in?
How old is the coolant?
Have you tried bleeding the system?
Is the radiator full of coolant?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
 
Join Date: 12-15-2008
Location: england, wiltshire
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
 
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

manchester UK, this time of the year, you'd be struggling seeing above 10deg C.
When I for my RR8 and felt the fins, immediately placed an order for Rad guard! And boy does it need it!
You could well have lots of crap stuck in there or fins benyt so that air doesn't flow through. Check they all follow the original pattern, if needed try opening then up with a pencil or non metal item.
Loosing coolant, could be either a leak or overheating (although you don't seem to get temp gauge flashing warning).
Do the easy visual check yourself but unless you know the history of the bike, if I were you, I'd take it to a dealer/mechanic (one you trust) and have them check the cooling system: water pump, liquid mix etc
keep us posted
bonjo is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 3:37 AM
Supporting Member
 
sidmarklong's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-2009
Location: I got lost. I like it. I'm not coming back.
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182
                     
Garage
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBlade View Post
Hello All,

Have noticed today that only my RH fan is switching on, temp goes up to 110' when a idle, and can only drop it to 104 ish - and given it was only 7' today don't think it will survive the summer.

I know a volt metre will help identify if power is being sent to fan, but can somebody confirm that either one, or BOTH should switch on / cut in at 104 please, or does the LH one switch on at say 110+

Thanks in advance

Al
Hello AlBlade,
Everyone has commented correctly about the fan schedule, coolant, oil, and temp difference. I own a 08 CBR10RR. In the beginning of ownning this bike; I was in the middle of summer in the US. I noticed the fans working seperately and saw high temps. I am on the farenhight scale so wont give related temps. Not necessary, you already know something is up with yours.
My particular case was related to battery power and a solenoid relay associated with the secondary fan. The connections were loose for the relay, and the battery was weak. Bike was under warranty so things were done with minimal cost to me. Tightened relay connections and replaced the battery, and I keep it charged with a battery tender when not ridding.
This is not what I would like to tell anybody, but here goes: Do not overlook the water pump. It may be that it is not pumping good enough, like on its last leg of life and pumping but very weak. Your temp reading that you have posted appears to be a weak circulation. This may also be thermostat related. I have been away from my bike for about a year and dont have my shop manual to refer to right now. I am giving this information from memory and experience.
What I mean by weak circulation is this; pump pressure is either restricted by clogging, or bad pump. Clogging can be due to a bad thermostat and not openning all the way.
I say this because the temps you give and how they dont seem to go down to the level they should be when the fans come on, is possibly a circulation problem. cooling system working more like a convection process, water escaping the hot engine to the less hot radiator with out pump pressure. Thus, temps not exactly what they should be.
These are questions for you. They are only suggestion and I dont need the answer;
When the bike shuts down does the coolant come out onto the ground, boiling over? Do you have good coolant? Is the coolant level at the right level to start with?
I went through this myself for my own bike. My problem wasn't exactly as you describe for yours. I have only made suggestion for you. I hope this helps a little and hope you get it worked out.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
sidmarklong is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 5:07 AM
Supporting Member
 
sidmarklong's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-2009
Location: I got lost. I like it. I'm not coming back.
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182
                     
Garage
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Yes, the left fan will switch on at higher temps. 110 is likely good. Once the fan kicks on temps should drop relatively quick. With both fans running.
I wish I had my manual with me. I think you are giving celcious numbers.
I'll see if I find the manual online.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
sidmarklong is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 5:33 AM
Supporting Member
 
sidmarklong's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-2009
Location: I got lost. I like it. I'm not coming back.
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182
                     
Garage
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

These are from the common shop manual found in my Honda Financial web site membership. The temperatures are correct. This doesn't actually answer your question about when fans come on. These are boiling point temps. This is the best I can get for now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	61CM001_91_1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	47504

Click image for larger version

Name:	61CM001_92_1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	47505

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.

Last edited by sidmarklong; 02-27-2011 at 5:59 AM.
sidmarklong is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 7:48 AM
 
Join Date: 12-15-2008
Location: england, wiltshire
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
 
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

interesting.
So in your case the second fan coming on was intermittent?
I would guess if the flow was restricted then the cooling sys would work at reduced capacity and perhaps also result in high temperatures even on the move
just a thought!
bonjo is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 8:48 AM
Supporting Member
 
sidmarklong's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-2009
Location: I got lost. I like it. I'm not coming back.
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182
                     
Garage
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjo View Post
interesting.
So in your case the second fan coming on was intermittent?
I would guess if the flow was restricted then the cooling sys would work at reduced capacity and perhaps also result in high temperatures even on the move
just a thought!
You thought correctly. Yes, my secondary fan came on, and it seemed like it was intermittent, but really just late. Sometimes it did not come on at all, and I just got the bike moving. A few blown Red Lights, and down the berm kind of thing.
If AlBlades bike is running hot all the time, that could be the case.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
sidmarklong is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 3:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-24-2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
         
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Thanks for all the replies here - few updates to try and help work out what is going on.

1. Temp readings are in centigrade, and outside temp is about 10' centigrade here in Manchester in late Feb.
2. Coolant is just over a year old (was replaced when engine rebuilt I imagine to solve oil use problem)
2. This afternoon I was fitting / setting up a Scottoiler (handy device to lube chain automatically while riding) - final stage is to 'test' the system on rear stand by leaving engine running for 10 - 15 mins and checking delivery of oil.
Temp went up to about 108 but fan (only RH) cut in and temp dropped to about 104 - but never low enough (below 104) for fan to stop.

No coolant was lost, never boiled over so I am guessing its blocked / clogged fins - the coolant level is correct. If there was a real problem I think it would have surfaced - next weekend I'll remove the R&G rad guard and using a soft brush and hose pipe give it a really good clean - maybe from the back towards the front - I do ride year round so mud and gunk could well have blocked them up.
AlBlade is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 5:07 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBlade View Post
Thanks for all the replies here - few updates to try and help work out what is going on.

1. Temp readings are in centigrade, and outside temp is about 10' centigrade here in Manchester in late Feb.
2. Coolant is just over a year old (was replaced when engine rebuilt I imagine to solve oil use problem)
2. This afternoon I was fitting / setting up a Scottoiler (handy device to lube chain automatically while riding) - final stage is to 'test' the system on rear stand by leaving engine running for 10 - 15 mins and checking delivery of oil.
Temp went up to about 108 but fan (only RH) cut in and temp dropped to about 104 - but never low enough (below 104) for fan to stop.

No coolant was lost, never boiled over so I am guessing its blocked / clogged fins - the coolant level is correct. If there was a real problem I think it would have surfaced - next weekend I'll remove the R&G rad guard and using a soft brush and hose pipe give it a really good clean - maybe from the back towards the front - I do ride year round so mud and gunk could well have blocked them up.
When you say the level is "correct" you mean the _radiator_ is full right? Ignore the reservoir.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-24-2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
         
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
When you say the level is "correct" you mean the _radiator_ is full right? Ignore the reservoir.
Only checked expansion bottle - does that not balance out the radiator level?

I'll check the rad when I get chance - sure its a LH fairing off job - and we all know how quick and easy that is on the 2008 bikes, but needed if I am to get the rad fins cleaned.

Happier that there appears nothing 'terminal' to stop me using bike (fingers crossed / famous last words)
AlBlade is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 6:14 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 2008 Blade - fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBlade View Post
Only checked expansion bottle - does that not balance out the radiator level?

I'll check the rad when I get chance - sure its a LH fairing off job - and we all know how quick and easy that is on the 2008 bikes, but needed if I am to get the rad fins cleaned.

Happier that there appears nothing 'terminal' to stop me using bike (fingers crossed / famous last words)

No. The _radiator_ must be full. The resevoir is only there to catch any overflow from the pressure relief valve.
If you have air in the radiator the engine will run hot.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Dyno their 2008 Blade yet? fastrob691 Honda FireBlade 119 01-05-2011 5:46 PM
2008 'blade - now what? Marcbc Honda FireBlade 5 08-10-2009 3:18 AM
2008 Blade Seat William Keith Introductions 5 06-12-2009 8:48 AM
2008 blade. silverh Honda FireBlade 0 02-05-2009 9:05 AM
2008 blade parts help HataErasa Honda FireBlade 3 05-06-2008 11:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome