Indicators Ticking but not flashing? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Indicators Ticking but not flashing?

I noticed my rear left indicator casing had been knocked somehow and the orange casing was unclipped at one side, when testing the indicators the right side ones worked ok, but the left ones did not and Ticking sound was twice as fast, so I went to Halfords and got a replacement bulb , a 12v P21w, same as what came out of it, and fitted it.

Now none are working! and the ticking sound is twice as fast still, for both sides. has water got in causing this, is it a main fuse etc

any suggestions folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-17-2011, 2:35 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Re: Indicators Ticking but not flashing?

Check the relay.

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #3 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 7:06 AM Thread Starter

just found the relevant section in Haynes manual, so I will check the ,and for corrosion etc, and I had seen some on the outside of the case, so I will clean socket contacts to rule that out.

In relation to the relay, it says check for power , do I use a multi meter for this and where would i touch it to?

after those checks, it says to replace the relay....

Last edited by johnx14; 02-18-2011 at 7:26 AM. Reason: to update post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 8:48 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnx14 View Post
just found the relevant section in Haynes manual, so I will check the ,and for corrosion etc, and I had seen some on the outside of the case, so I will clean socket contacts to rule that out.

In relation to the relay, it says check for power , do I use a multi meter for this and where would i touch it to?

after those checks, it says to replace the relay....
To save me looking, It will all be in the Haynes manual

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #5 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 9:41 AM

Reputation Power: 166

The ticking (which is the relay) usually speeds up when a bulb blows - I believe it's something to do with there being less resistance with only 1 bulb to illuminate. So if no bulbs are working, it's possible that the ticking would be a lot faster.

Seems strange how this occured from changing a bulb! The fuses might be worth a look, although I don't think that there is one specifically for indicators. They are easy enough to check and always worth a look with electrical problems.

After thet, I would start checking through the wiring - something is stopping the connection to the bulbs.

Electrics are a mystery to me, apart from these basic things I'd be as lost as you are! But, the indicators are a pretty simple thing, so whatever the problem is, it can't be anything too serious.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 9:42 AM Thread Starter

I cant for the life of me find the signal relay, its not on the left or right as described in my haynes manual for the different models?

Ive checked for corrosion and found none on the sockets that touch the bulb, on doing this i noted my new bulb had 2 metal terminals on the end that plugs in, whilst the bike connector has one, which could miss the bulb, as its in the center. so i dropped some solder onto it to ensure they meet.

Ive checked the fuses and they are all ok, but i replaced them to be sure to be sure.

The next step is to test for power in the signal relay, but I cant see anything on the left side for early models, and as mine is the 99 RRX its a later model, which should be on the right, under the right upper fairing. and I dont see anything other than the fuse box and then 3 connectors for cables, which look nothing like the relays in the manual??

Last edited by johnx14; 02-18-2011 at 9:48 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 9:46 AM

Switch on the indicator and trace the ticking sound.

Isn't it behind the instrument panel?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Des View Post
Switch on the indicator and trace the ticking sound.

Isn't it behind the instrument panel?

Il go look now and try that, the manual for my bike gives 2 locations for it depending on if its an early or latter model,(Ive the 1999 RRX) and shows pics as it being beside the forks, but I cant see it, at the 2 locations which is left side for one model and right side for the latter model
post #9 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Il go look now and try that, the manual for my bike gives 2 locations for it depending on if its an early or latter model,(Ive the 1999 RRX) and shows pics as it being beside the forks, but I cant see it, at the 2 locations which is left side for one model and right side for the latter model

well f**k me! Des you were right there is a similar shaped box behind the speedo cluster and when i touched it i could feel the pulse from its clicking!

now to figure out how to reach it for attaching the multimeter. Haynes did not describe this location! looks like the screens gonna have to come off.

took the screen off, removed the signal relay and used the multimeter to test for power. i touched the black point to the frame and the red into the connector for the green/white striped cable and got a reading of 9 volts. i then moved the black point into the green wire connector and got 12.25 volts, which i read in the forum should happen.

any suggestions, buy a new relay and see what happens, replace all bulbs etc?

any help appreciated.

Last edited by johnx14; 02-18-2011 at 10:47 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Not going to get sniffy but.... Get the RIGHT bulb!!! You want one with a centre 'soldered' connection, not a bulb with two.
The relay is fine if it is clicking, just check the indicator connections and the connections between bulbs and holder for corrosion, they are bugg*rs for going green.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
Not going to get sniffy but.... Get the RIGHT bulb!!! You want one with a centre 'soldered' connection, not a bulb with two.
The relay is fine if it is clicking, just check the indicator connections and the connections between bulbs and holder for corrosion, they are bugg*rs for going green.
I was surprised to see that the soldered ends were different, as i got the new bulb from a car shop, not many bulb shops here for bikes, just the car ones. you'd think a p21w bulb was the same, but then the bulbs in the bike are 12 years old. I'll see if I can source them online.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
Not going to get sniffy but.... Get the RIGHT bulb!!!
Good point JD! Always start with the basics. Make sure the bulbs work too!
post #13 of 17 Old 02-18-2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I was surprised to see that the soldered ends were different, as i got the new bulb from a car shop, not many bulb shops here for bikes, just the car ones. you'd think a p21w bulb was the same, but then the bulbs in the bike are 12 years old. I'll see if I can source them online.
U should be able to get them in halfords or any motor factors, you just get different types and as far as I am aware its not bike specific, take the bulb to the shop with you to match it.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-19-2011, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

ok I just got 4 new bulbs, of the correct type (single solder end) so connection is good. Now when I turned her on and moved the indicator switch left, it still ticked twice as fast, but when i cancelled the indicators by pressing the switch in, the bulbs lit briefly. I tried 5 more times and 3 out of the 5, the bulbs lit briefly when pressing the switch in to turn the indicators off.

any ideas guys what this means??

im going now to try and do the switch test from haynes manual
post #15 of 17 Old 02-19-2011, 9:42 AM Thread Starter

ok i'm getting a bit closer to solving it. i took the left handlebar switches off and whist turning the signal switch left or right AND pushing the switch in a feww mm as if to cancel, I can get both sides flashing normally, so it looks like the problem is in the handlebar switch.

Im going to try take it apart and clean what i can with contact cleaner and see if that makes a difference, if not, I guess I may need a new left handlebar assembly?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page