954 rebuilt - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2011, 9:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 rebuilt

Ok here's the up date on the rebuild. brought the standard bore weisco piston. everything is in now, my mechanic is telling me there's a problem.
He's telling me that when cylinder 2 rod is tighten the crank won't turn, and when the rod screw is loosen the crank turns. So he's telling me that it's either the rod or the crank. he also showed me the old bearing for that rod and it had a grove in it. the mechanic said that the crank journal is either bad or the rod is bad. Could it be that the bearing isn't the right one. Nether the less i have a perfect 929 engine with less than 7,000 mile that i crack the case and i took apart, i'm actually am using the head and transmission fron the 929.
WHAT COULD KEEP THE CRANK FROM TURNING AND WHAT WOULD CAUSE A GROVE IN THE BEARING?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2011, 9:36 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 954 rebuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceghost View Post
Ok here's the up date on the rebuild. brought the standard bore weisco piston. everything is in now, my mechanic is telling me there's a problem.
He's telling me that when cylinder 2 rod is tighten the crank won't turn, and when the rod screw is loosen the crank turns. So he's telling me that it's either the rod or the crank. he also showed me the old bearing for that rod and it had a grove in it. the mechanic said that the crank journal is either bad or the rod is bad. Could it be that the bearing isn't the right one. Nether the less i have a perfect 929 engine with less than 7,000 mile that i crack the case and i took apart, i'm actually am using the head and transmission fron the 929.
WHAT COULD KEEP THE CRANK FROM TURNING AND WHAT WOULD CAUSE A GROVE IN THE BEARING?

Is it the original crank and rod?
Plastigauge the bearings which he should have done anyway. The bearings are ordered from the codes stamped on the crank, cases and rods.
The rod may also be oval which would be pinching the crank.
Is the engine being rebuilt because of a failure?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

to be honest BladeRacer i couldn't even tell u i brought a 954 engine from some one after cracking my 929 engine and come to find out the 954 engine i brought was crack and badly weld ( i didn't see the weld). well anyway the 954 engine is being rebuild because the weld was leaking. after taking the engine apart the mechanic realized that who-ever put the engine back together didn't do it right. Blade i figure worst comes to worst i'll use the crank and rods from my 929.
I'm waiting to hear from the mechanic.
Blade i know that the 954 crank and rods are lighter than the 929, but would it make a difference if i use the 929 crank and rod, or could i use the 929 crank with 954 rods or could i use 929 rods with a 954 crank. botton line the problem exist with in the crank, rods, bearing or the mechanic.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-16-2011, 9:09 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceghost View Post
to be honest BladeRacer i couldn't even tell u i brought a 954 engine from some one after cracking my 929 engine and come to find out the 954 engine i brought was crack and badly weld ( i didn't see the weld). well anyway the 954 engine is being rebuild because the weld was leaking. after taking the engine apart the mechanic realized that who-ever put the engine back together didn't do it right. Blade i figure worst comes to worst i'll use the crank and rods from my 929.
I'm waiting to hear from the mechanic.
Blade i know that the 954 crank and rods are lighter than the 929, but would it make a difference if i use the 929 crank and rod, or could i use the 929 crank with 954 rods or could i use 929 rods with a 954 crank. botton line the problem exist with in the crank, rods, bearing or the mechanic.......

If you are mixing and matching components from different engines, measuring all the clearances is critical. Although the codes are stamped on the cases, crank and rods you don't know if any of the journals have been damaged or machined. Plastigauge is the only sure way to know the oil clearances are correct. It's especially important if you mismatch the upper and lower cases as you may require different size bearings in each case for the same journal.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2011, 9:33 AM

Reputation Power: 14

If you are this deep into it you need to get it right. Pulling all apart again aint going to be nice.

I would not mix the engine parts.

Study the old parts are does it look damaged (scored) or does it look clean and nicly formed? buy new bigend bearings after checking out the partnumbers and diamension details from the shop drawings. you need to understand why it doesnt fit!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page