Felt SO Good to Ride Today - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-31-2004, 7:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Felt SO Good to Ride Today

Took two very brief rides today. Brief because it was only about 37 degrees here, but at least it wasn't raining or snowing like it has been for the last month or so! As soon as I saw that sunshine I knew I just had to get out on the bike.

The roads are really dirty with traction sand, so you have to be ultra-careful around the corners, but it was absolutely incredible to just be back on the 'Blade again. On the morning ride, which was maybe about 15 minutes long, my fingers were so cold I thought they were going to just snap off. It was a little better on the afternoon ride, and I was able to briefly get her up to triple digits, which was an awesome rush as usual. I am so glad I own this bike!

You warm weather guys don't know how good you've got it! I can't wait for spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-31-2004, 7:40 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Felt SO Good to Ride Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
You warm weather guys don't know how good you've got it!
Yes we do!!!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-31-2004, 7:42 PM

Wow whip, that is such a sad testimonial . J/K, glad you were able to get on the bike again! You are a hardier man than I - riding in the 30's?! Hope it warms up for you soon. Are you keeping the bike on a battery tender?

Last edited by Bacchus; 01-31-2004 at 7:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-31-2004, 7:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Wow whip, that is such a sad testimonial . J/K, glad you were able to get on the bike again! You are a hardier man than I - riding in the 30's?! Hope it warms up for you soon. Are you keeping the bike on a battery tender?
Nope - just riding as often as possible and firing it up once in a while and letting it idle while I dream of riding it in Tucson-like weather!
post #5 of 16 Old 01-31-2004, 9:12 PM

Yeah, I went for a rather short ride today - upper '50's I suppose - 'bout froze my tits off! Well, not quite, but it was wayyy below my "comfort" zone . It's all relative (to a point)
post #6 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 12:12 AM

Was about mid 60's here today. Hit some twisties up in the mountians felt good to lean the bike over, since it's been raining here on and off.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 8:20 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Just be careful man... I took my GS500 out 2 weeks ago and crashed it on black ice and now I have $900 in repairs before I can sell it and pick up my 929 in March.

Barna
post #8 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
Yes we do!!!

Ditto. Did the cold thing, ya can have it.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 10:01 AM

Good for you! I'm snowbound here in PA. My driveway is totally ice and snow covered. I've started it up a few time to keep the juices flowing, but it has been soooo cold here I don't even want to think about riding it in these temperatures! Monday might reach a high of 34 degrees.......WOOOHOOO!!!!

We've had way too many days below zero, or in single digits. I work outside, so the last thing I want to do is freeze my ass off trying to enjoy a ride when I get home. (SIGH) Spring can't come fast enough!
post #10 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 10:04 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbarna
Just be careful man... I took my GS500 out 2 weeks ago and crashed it on black ice and now I have $900 in repairs before I can sell it and pick up my 929 in March.

Barna
I could, but I will not ride when the outside temp is < 40 F for this very reason. The temp is an arbitrary number, I've ridden below freezing temps before when I was stupid.

Black ice, for you warm weather folks who don't know, is a very, very thin coating of ice on the road that is totally INVISIBLE. In other words, the road looks perfectly normal. Ambient air temp may be above freezing, but if the road temp is below freezing, and there is enough humidity, such as fog or a light mist, it will freeze on the road surface turning it into a skating rink.

My one and only accident with black ice was just outside Peoria one year. On a divided four lane highway I was being passed by a small truck. He was one of those *slow* passers that I hate so much only going 1mph faster, so we were in passing mode for a good while. Eh, so what, I think?

The road was clear. We had only a slight mist of rain, and had been that way for several miles. Suddenly, just when Mr. Truck was nose to nose with me, we both started spinning. He went clockwise, and I went counterclockwise. As he had greater momentum, he passed me and went up the embankment on the right, and I crossed behind him into the center median. Neither car touched each other.

Wife, driving her car a little further behind us, watched it all happen and naturally hit the brakes so as not to join us. She had ABS and that pulled her safely to a stop.

The truck guy came over to see if I was okay. Since I was, and he could get his truck down and back on the highway, he left. I, on the other hand needed to be towed out of the median. Before he left I asked, and found out neither of us had touched our brakes. It was sudden, unexpected loss of control. The scariest thing I've ever done with a car.

So, that's why I won't take the Fireblade (or any other TWO wheel vehicle) on the road when it gets close to freezing temps.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 10:15 AM

Reputation Power: 42

My one and only road crash was on ice...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #12 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Black ice is definitely an issue around here this time of year. I'm glad to have AWD and ABS on my Audi, and I definitely won't take out the bike if there's any chance of black ice on the road - it's not worth it.

Sure glad I rode yesterday, though. I woke up this morning to a couple more inches of snow! Time to put the cover back on the 'Blade, and take the snowboard back out!
post #13 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
You warm weather guys don't know how good you've got it! I can't wait for spring.
I took the bike out Friday afternoon. Temp about 50F. Had the Belstaff jacket and new icon gloves with liner. The jacket is great! My problem always seems to be my feet getting cold. Takes hours to feel warm again after getting off the bike. I'll have to start experimenting on ways to keep my feet warmer. Glad to hear that you are out riding, bwhip!
post #14 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 11:07 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenblader
I took the bike out Friday afternoon. Temp about 50F. My problem always seems to be my feet getting cold. Takes hours to feel warm again after getting off the bike.
[I snipped a bit of the quote]

According to this

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml

at 40 F the average windchill is 26 at 50mph. You were at 50 F and maybe slower!!!! Shorts and tee shirt weather!

Seriously, waterproof boots (Goretex, Sympatex) [anything with a waterproof membrane] do a lot to keep feet warm. Socks that wick moisture away from the foot also help. I think Gerbing (and others) make electrically heated socks.

I hate cold feet too. My Sidi On Road boots have always kept my feet warm down to a windchill of 17. I don't track in temps like these, so I don't know how my Prexports would be.

FWIW

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxib
[I snipped a bit of the quote]

According to this

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml

at 40 F the average windchill is 26 at 50mph. You were at 50 F and maybe slower!!!! Shorts and tee shirt weather!

Seriously, waterproof boots (Goretex, Sympatex) [anything with a waterproof membrane] do a lot to keep feet warm. Socks that wick moisture away from the foot also help. I think Gerbing (and others) make electrically heated socks.

I hate cold feet too. My Sidi On Road boots have always kept my feet warm down to a windchill of 17. I don't track in temps like these, so I don't know how my Prexports would be.

FWIW
Maxib,

I was born and raised in Minnesota. Now I have become...a wuss. In my defense, the only other rider I saw on my two hour, Hwy 25 ride was a Duc 999. I have Triumph Sport/tour boots and new Oxtars (not Goretex). I will look into heated socks for my roadtrips. Maybe use one as a woolly condom too.

Last edited by zenblader; 02-01-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page