Fork Springs question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-31-2004, 9:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fork Springs question

I'm looking to put stiffer springs on my 954. My question is which spring brand requires no cutting or modifying of a spacer?

Ohlins? Race-tech?

Is there a big price difference between the brands? I don't know how easy/hard it would be to modify the spacer so i think i would rather just buy springs that are the same size as stock.

thanks for the help,
ger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2004, 11:39 PM

Re: Fork Springs question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry
I'm looking to put stiffer springs on my 954. My question is which spring brand requires no cutting or modifying of a spacer?

Ohlins? Race-tech?

Is there a big price difference between the brands? I don't know how easy/hard it would be to modify the spacer so i think i would rather just buy springs that are the same size as stock.

thanks for the help,
ger
WP springs are the same length as the 929 standard springs. I tried them and didnt like them because they felt way too stiff. They were meant to be progressive from .75-1.0.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-01-2004, 12:57 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Why are you so worried about cutting the spacer? You hack it to the right length and your done. It's not like your going to put the stock ones back in some day for the $100 they cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-01-2004, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheEdge
Why are you so worried about cutting the spacer? You hack it to the right length and your done. It's not like your going to put the stock ones back in some day for the $100 they cost.
I took mine out because I didnt like them.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-02-2004, 8:11 AM

Springs that are the right rate dont make the bike ride stiff. Having the damping set poorly makes the bike ride hard. The basis of all suspension settings is the right spring rate.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #6 of 12 Old 02-03-2004, 3:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My bike has 0.90kg/mm Eibach springs and they did not have to be cut! Not sure if there is any truth to it? but the guy who does my suspension said that he has had trouble with racetech springs breaking, has anybody else heard this?

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com

Last edited by Jungleboy; 02-03-2004 at 3:53 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-03-2004, 4:18 AM

Any bike shop will cut the spacers for you, It's no big deal. I had .95 racetechs fitted and didn't like them cause they were way too hard/harsh. I fitted the .85's and It's much better. But, if I was to do it again I would retain the original springs unless I was going the whole hog and having a professional do the springs, damping etc all at once. I spent more money buying and fitting springs then It would cost me to have the forks done properly by an expert. Just my 2c....
post #8 of 12 Old 02-04-2004, 9:23 PM

Speaking of forks....I just ordered a rear shock from Lindemann Engineering. I weigh 210 lbs and looking to have my front forks re-done. In you guys opinion... where is the best place to have them done. Dan Kyle or stick with Lindemann. I hear Lindemann's fork jobs are pretty harsh, but haven't heard that from Dan Kyle consumers. Also, by-the-way I'm a street rider... never been on the track. Thanks for you opinion in advance.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-04-2004, 11:22 PM

Do you know if Lindemann knows CBR forks? Alot of us know that Dan knows forks. I had mine done by Dan and am very happy with them. You can't go wrong and his price is very reasonable. Pretty quick turn around time too.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-05-2004, 3:41 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Me too! Dan does great on the fork revalve and respring. I weigh 160 without or 183 with gear, and got .90 springs. .85's might have been a tiny bit better, but I love them. Mucho bueno for the track.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-05-2004, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGal
Do you know if Lindemann knows CBR forks? Alot of us know that Dan knows forks. I had mine done by Dan and am very happy with them. You can't go wrong and his price is very reasonable. Pretty quick turn around time too.
They said that they have the 954 forks dialed in pretty good now but I think I'm going to stick with Dan. Thanks for the response.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-05-2004, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry

Ohlins? Race-tech?

thanks for the help,
ger
Don't worry about cutting the spacer it's easy and it's plastic so it doesn't take much. I got the wrong size tubing cutter and wound up hacking them with the Dremel. It's been a full season of riding and the forks work great. If you get the .95 race tech springs the cut will wind up right through the holes in the spring collar. Just put the old spring next to the new one and cut the difference off the spacer unless the new springs are shorter then you would add spacers. Make sure to have a clean well laid out work area as all the peices are rather fragile when taken apart.

Added a pic of the spring compressing tool.
Attached Thumbnails
tool.jpg‎  

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart

Last edited by CBRjack; 02-05-2004 at 6:31 PM. Reason: Added photo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page