Oil Light on - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 8:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Oil Light on

Hello members,
Im new here but recently i changed my oil and plugs and when starting the bike, the Oil Light next to the neutral light blinks spurratically. Any ideas why this would be? i changed with 10w-40 synthetic HP4 and a honda filter. shouldnt have had any problems. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 8:29 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: Oil Light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabLO View Post
Hello members,
Im new here but recently i changed my oil and plugs and when starting the bike, the Oil Light next to the neutral light blinks spurratically. Any ideas why this would be? i changed with 10w-40 synthetic HP4 and a honda filter. shouldnt have had any problems. Thanks for the help

first off....where in NY are you? anywhere near buffalo? Second...did you let it run for a couple minutes and then check the oil level again to make sure it is at the proper level? if its at the proper level i would take a guess that it might be a sensor in the oil pan that might be going..what year bike is it? How much oil did you put in? is the filler cp back on along with the dip stick(if it has one)...because those keep the system pressurized and with a loss of pressure it might cause a light to be thrown...not sure?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 8:30 PM

oh and BTW....

if your near buffalo we should go for a cruise sometime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 8:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Im actually in New Paltz. Its a 2003 CBR 954RR i'll check the oil cap but it should all be fine. just made me worry because it blinks when starting up. and just stays on while riding. I put in 3.7L of HP4 oil. shouldnt have caused a problem. Thanks for the response and welcome.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 9:12 PM

If all other items check out such as good oil filter, correct oil and level and the filler cap is in place etc, its possible the oil pressure switch is faulty.
If you replace it and the light still stays on, the next item to check would be the pickup screen and oil pump unit in the engine sump.
I would NOT ride or run the engine until the problem is solved.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 1:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 CBR View Post
first off....where in NY are you? anywhere near buffalo? Second...did you let it run for a couple minutes and then check the oil level again to make sure it is at the proper level? if its at the proper level i would take a guess that it might be a sensor in the oil pan that might be going..what year bike is it? How much oil did you put in? is the filler cp back on along with the dip stick(if it has one)...because those keep the system pressurized and with a loss of pressure it might cause a light to be thrown...not sure?

There is no sensor in the oil pan. The pressure switch is in the main oil gallery behind the cylinders.
The filler cap has no effect on oil pressure.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 1:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hello members,

I would probably replace the filter. If it makes no difference then you have a spare filter for your next oil change.
Then I would unscrew the oil pressure switch and see if oil is coming out of the gallery. It will be messy unless you rig up a clear hose with a threaded fitting on it, or just buy a cheap auto oil pressure gauge as they generally come with clear oil line and the fittings - as well as telling you exactly how much pressure you have.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 4:45 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Is 3.7L of oil even enough when you change out the filter?

James Taylor
post #9 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 5:56 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
Is 3.7L of oil even enough when you change out the filter?

Yep, that's what the manual specifies.
4.0 litres for a fresh engine build.

post #10 of 13 Old 04-22-2011, 6:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the heads up. i'll check the bike tomorrow and repost..
post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 1:32 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks for the heads up. i'll check the bike tomorrow and repost..

Before you do that, are you sure it's the oil light and not the MIL?
Having been under the tank there's an excellent chance you let something disconnected.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 4:45 PM Thread Starter

very true sir.. i have the same feeling i am taking the tank and airbox back up and seeing if i left something unplugged. its the red light next to neutral. i was assuming that was the oil light but i may be mistaken. its pouring rain in NY right now so its garage time.. i'll post tomorrow after taking a look. thanks guys
post #13 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 5:14 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
...it blinks when starting up. and just stays on while riding.

Yep, that's the MIL.
Probably the MAP or IAT sensor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page