929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 6:51 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-18-2010
Location: lincolnshire
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Hi Guys, I'm another victim of having a stutter on my 929, its that dangerous for over taking, cornering there's no point me riding it till i sort it . Any help would be MUCH appreciative..
I only have a end race can and K & N air filter, the flat spot comes in after engine is warmed up (been ridden for around 15 or 20mins) and reliably happens at 5500-6000rpm, it feels like trying to accelerate when ya running out of petrol.
The bike has new plugs, I've fixed open the air intake flap in the air box, fixed open the exhaust valve and the servo cables are disconected. I did this mod to originally sort the stutter flat spot and still no joy. I originally thought machanical because of it happening when its warmed up ridding, so I read alot of posts on the HTEV and tried the mods. Not sure if it could be injector issue, but i have no faults showing on dash and it only happens when bike has warmed up, from starting from cold its full power right through the rev range and smooth delivery. after about 15-20mins it breaks my heart ...
ROBERTO911 likes this.

Last edited by RIKWUDY; 04-22-2011 at 7:04 AM.
RIKWUDY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 9:07 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKWUDY View Post
Hi Guys, I'm another victim of having a stutter on my 929, its that dangerous for over taking, cornering there's no point me riding it till i sort it . Any help would be MUCH appreciative..
I only have a end race can and K & N air filter, the flat spot comes in after engine is warmed up (been ridden for around 15 or 20mins) and reliably happens at 5500-6000rpm, it feels like trying to accelerate when ya running out of petrol.
The bike has new plugs, I've fixed open the air intake flap in the air box, fixed open the exhaust valve and the servo cables are disconected. I did this mod to originally sort the stutter flat spot and still no joy. I originally thought machanical because of it happening when its warmed up ridding, so I read alot of posts on the HTEV and tried the mods. Not sure if it could be injector issue, but i have no faults showing on dash and it only happens when bike has warmed up, from starting from cold its full power right through the rev range and smooth delivery. after about 15-20mins it breaks my heart ...
It's not overheating at all and the radiator is full of coolant?
Is it only when you are at full throttle or is it the same when cruising?
If you keep it above 6500rpm it's fine?
Are you running a PC3?
Have the valve clearances been checked recently?
Have you checked all the headers are similar temperatures?
Have you checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-18-2010
Location: lincolnshire
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Hi Bladeracer, glad you've picked me up.

It's not overheating at all and the radiator is full of coolant?
Temp is normal, coolant level is ok
Is it only when you are at full throttle or is it the same when cruising?
Half throttle or full accelerating, then its like hitting a rev limiter at 5500-6000rpm, but some times when i hit it, i can feed it past 6000rpm very gently but it will knock me back to 4500-5000rpm. It will cruise at 4500rpm at 70mph, and it doesn't matter what gear i'm in, it still happens at 5500-6000rpm.
If you keep it above 6500rpm it's fine?
If I gently feed it past 6500rpm, the slightest bit of heavyness on the throttle knocks me back below 6000rpm (sensitive to knock me back once past 6500)
Are you running a PC3?
Not fitted, but do have one.
Have the valve clearances been checked recently?
No, how do I do this. Or am I best getting a garage to.
Have you checked all the headers are similar temperatures?
No, how do I do this. Or am I best getting a garage to.
Have you checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator?
No, I can do this.

Thanks BladeRacer, I'll get on with the checks not been done, and get back to you. I'll check back later if you have thought of anything else..
RIKWUDY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKWUDY View Post
Hi Bladeracer, glad you've picked me up.

It's not overheating at all and the radiator is full of coolant?
Temp is normal, coolant level is ok
Is it only when you are at full throttle or is it the same when cruising?
Half throttle or full accelerating, then its like hitting a rev limiter at 5500-6000rpm, but some times when i hit it, i can feed it past 6000rpm very gently but it will knock me back to 4500-5000rpm. It will cruise at 4500rpm at 70mph, and it doesn't matter what gear i'm in, it still happens at 5500-6000rpm.
If you keep it above 6500rpm it's fine?
If I gently feed it past 6500rpm, the slightest bit of heavyness on the throttle knocks me back below 6000rpm (sensitive to knock me back once past 6500)
Are you running a PC3?
Not fitted, but do have one.
Have the valve clearances been checked recently?
No, how do I do this. Or am I best getting a garage to.
Have you checked all the headers are similar temperatures?
No, how do I do this. Or am I best getting a garage to.
Have you checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator?
No, I can do this.

Thanks BladeRacer, I'll get on with the checks not been done, and get back to you. I'll check back later if you have thought of anything else..

You checked the coolant level in the radiator, not the reservoir, right?
So it's not a stutter then, it actually won't pull any higher than 6500rpm at all except at very slight throttle?
Valve clearance check is detailed in the manual. Basically take the valve cover off and use feeler strips to check the clearances between the lifters and cam lobes. If the clearances are too tight, as the valve expands with heat it will hold the valve open. I would definately check the cam timing is correct as well while you have the lid off. The tensioner may have failed allowing the chain to skip a tooth. How much mileage is on the engine?
Infrared thermometer is the best way. It'll need to read to at least 300C.
Pull the vacuum line and turn on the ignition to pressurise the rail - no fuel should come out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 4:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-18-2010
Location: lincolnshire
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

You checked the coolant level in the radiator, not the reservoir, right?
Nope, will do though..
So it's not a stutter then, it actually won't pull any higher than 6500rpm at all except at very slight throttle?
Correct, but it feels & sounds like a rev limiter
Valve clearance check is detailed in the manual. Basically take the valve cover off and use feeler strips to check the clearances between the lifters and cam lobes. If the clearances are too tight, as the valve expands with heat it will hold the valve open. I would definately check the cam timing is correct as well while you have the lid off. The tensioner may have failed allowing the chain to skip a tooth. How much mileage is on the engine?
I will print off your reply and carry out the checks.
Milege is 26000k
Infrared thermometer is the best way. It'll need to read to at least 300C.
Pull the vacuum line and turn on the ignition to pressurise the rail - no fuel should come out.
RIKWUDY is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 1:16 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKWUDY View Post
You checked the coolant level in the radiator, not the reservoir, right?
Nope, will do though..
So it's not a stutter then, it actually won't pull any higher than 6500rpm at all except at very slight throttle?
Correct, but it feels & sounds like a rev limiter
Valve clearance check is detailed in the manual. Basically take the valve cover off and use feeler strips to check the clearances between the lifters and cam lobes. If the clearances are too tight, as the valve expands with heat it will hold the valve open. I would definately check the cam timing is correct as well while you have the lid off. The tensioner may have failed allowing the chain to skip a tooth. How much mileage is on the engine?
I will print off your reply and carry out the checks.
Milege is 26000k
Infrared thermometer is the best way. It'll need to read to at least 300C.
Pull the vacuum line and turn on the ignition to pressurise the rail - no fuel should come out.

The reservoir is not part of the sealed cooling system. It only catches any coolant lost when the pressure valve in the radiator cap opens. As the system cools it then creates vacuum which opens the return valve and draws the coolant back into the radiator. The level of coolant in the reservoir is not relevant to the cooling ability of the cooling system, you must check that the _system_ is full of coolant with no air trapped in it. I doubt this is the problem but it's worth ruling it out.
I had a problem with the sidestand switch on my '98 GSXR750 once. It would hit an electronic limiter right on 9000rpm. Luckily another guy in the pits had encountered this before. We bypassed the switch, problem solved. I never bothered investigating further so I don't know what was actually wrong with it. I don't think this is your problem either though as you can actually rev higher.
My reply doesn't explain how to take the measurements, refer to the manual. The Haynes and OEM manuals can be found online via Google or Torrents.
26000kms is fairly early for the tensioner to fail in my experience. Was anything done to the bike just before this problem appeared?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 7:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-18-2010
Location: lincolnshire
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

The bike has always had a race can and air filter nothing else and has riden fantastic for years, then its just decided to do this? after reading up on it a bit i thought i'd try the HTEV mod, which gave the bike and me another wow feeling again. but the 6000rpm limiter feeling was still there after she had warmed up.
I'm going to check the valve clearences today and see if i can get hold of a timing light. Also carrying out the rad, side stand and fuel line checks. I'll get back with the results. Thanks for this, its great help and informative.
RIKWUDY is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 8:04 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKWUDY View Post
The bike has always had a race can and air filter nothing else and has riden fantastic for years, then its just decided to do this? after reading up on it a bit i thought i'd try the HTEV mod, which gave the bike and me another wow feeling again. but the 6000rpm limiter feeling was still there after she had warmed up.
I'm going to check the valve clearences today and see if i can get hold of a timing light. Also carrying out the rad, side stand and fuel line checks. I'll get back with the results. Thanks for this, its great help and informative.

You don't use a light to check valve timing, that's for ignition timing.
The manual shows how to check the valve timing when installing the cams.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-18-2010
Location: lincolnshire
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Okey dokey
RIKWUDY is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 09-09-2012, 3:15 AM
 
Join Date: 09-09-2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Hi RIKWUDY,

did you find a solution to this problem?

I believe I have encountered the same issue which I have outlined here;


2010 GV250 EFI engine stutter problem

I have also uploaded a vid to YT, linked to on above page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ben
Inquorate is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 PM
 
Join Date: 06-04-2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

So I have a 01 929 and im having the same problem. I probed the exhaust for temp and found out the 1st cly wasnt firing so replaced the plugs and coil.
Ive check the fuel pressure regular
Valves
And ideas their guys
dmxjjt is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 PM
 
Join Date: 06-04-2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Still shudder s when warm
dmxjjt is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 3:47 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxjjt View Post
So I have a 01 929 and im having the same problem. I probed the exhaust for temp and found out the 1st cly wasnt firing so replaced the plugs and coil.
Ive check the fuel pressure regular
Valves
And ideas their guys

Did you check if there's spark at the plug?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 6:03 AM
 
Join Date: 09-18-2011
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
     
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Here's my input.
About a month ago I had an issue where it would bounce off 7k like hitting a brick wall.
I didn't know exactly what I did to fix it, but in doing so. I found a few things wrong.

When I raised the tank, I heard like a bubble noise rising up the fuel return hose, which seemed to dissapear after I raised the tank all the way up.

The vaccum hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator was split at the regulator end, and was full of fuel, which leads to cylinder 1 and 4, so those plugs could be fouled.

The fuel pressure regulator was leaking (naturally) which has been ordered.

Anyway, I replaced that little hose that was split, and now she revs all the way, so I'm ASSUMING it was fuel related.
Hawkes is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 8:13 AM
 
Join Date: 06-04-2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 929 stutter at 5000rpm-6500 after warmed up

Like I said I done all of that
Coils
Plugs
Checked exhuast temp
Checked for. Vacuum leak visualy and with starting fluid

I think my problem started when I dropped the bike im wondering if the inertia switch maybe be causing some of our issues because of gforce put on it by acceleration
dmxjjt is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
91 CBR 600F2 runs bad when warmed up... dave_8423 Honda CBR 600 5 09-10-2010 11:09 PM
stutter cooperte Honda FireBlade 2 06-13-2010 9:57 AM
High idle, 5000rpm or so... 98 Blade chakraist Honda FireBlade 3 12-08-2009 1:03 PM
929 RRY Fluttering noise at 5000rpm dern Honda FireBlade 27 05-06-2008 12:19 PM
Engine stalls when halfway warmed up Mars Honda RC51 0 08-18-2007 11:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome