Buying a 2003 CBR 954RR, what should I look for? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-24-2011, 2:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Buying a 2003 CBR 954RR, what should I look for?

Hey all - I've been out of the game (riding) for a couple years, I had CBR 1100XX before and am looking to get another bike.

I like some of the older Honda big bore bikes, so I am thinking about another.

I have a local single owner selling his 2003 954RR with 11,500 miles on the clock. It has been very well taken care of and owned by an older gentleman.

I would like to know what I should be looking out for here. I have looked all over, but besides the general reviews saying "It's a b*** to work on, and it heats up big time when at idle or slow moving" I can't find a heck of a lot.

All of my riding is 1 up and trips are shorter than 100 miles in any direction. I do a mild amount of twisty runs, but the majority of my riding is around town, at lower speeds. I won't be doing any track work, but I do enjoy having the power available and I love the look of the bikes overall.

Just curious for the owners out there, how bad of an all around bike is this and would I be shooting myself in the foot looking at the 2003 954RR as an all arounder?

Also - Pricing - He's asking $5500. This retails on KBB for $4300. What would be realistic that I should be looking at spending for a well taken care of, low mileage 954?

Thanks!
Mario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Re: Buying a 2003 CBR 954RR, what should I look for?

This thread from last week has some good info.. https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-look-for.html

As far as all-arounder, I think it's ok. But it's a RR, so you know what you're getting ahead of time. It's no harder to work on than any other fully-faired bike and gets equally hot.

I wouldn't pay over $4500.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Hey, forgot to say thank you, been a busy couple days here.

That was helpful, I am going to go take another look at the bike tomorrow after work, if I like it, I'll offer the guy 4500. He's asking 5500, but it books like I said for 4300 and I have a lot of options this time of year. If he's smart he'll take the money.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 4:58 AM

Reputation Power: 15

there was an easy way to stop the odometers on the 954...so check the sprockets and chain and stuff that should still be original with 11xxx on it...and if he chnged them see if he still has the originals...chances are he's honest...but you can never be too sure...look for service records...also check for stuff that will need replacing to get him down on price....tires, chain, sprockets, oil change, cables, brake pads, brake lines, body work...if anything needs to be replaced tell him your gonna have to spend money on that which should make beating him down on the price easier...thats what i do also check to see if the chain is lubed up good and clean, check oil level, check brake fluid...these are maintenence things that a crappy owner wont keep up on and can usually mean the rest of the bike has been neglected....if you want to settle on 4500...offer him 4000 and then slowly settle on 4500...the bike really isnt worth 5500...my friend got a 954 2 years ago with 2,000 miles...thats right...2000....for $5300!!! thats a good deal but still you should be able to get that bike for $4-4.5K
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 CBR View Post
there was an easy way to stop the odometers on the 954...so check the sprockets and chain and stuff that should still be original with 11xxx on it...and if he chnged them see if he still has the originals...chances are he's honest...but you can never be too sure...look for service records...also check for stuff that will need replacing to get him down on price....tires, chain, sprockets, oil change, cables, brake pads, brake lines, body work...if anything needs to be replaced tell him your gonna have to spend money on that which should make beating him down on the price easier...thats what i do also check to see if the chain is lubed up good and clean, check oil level, check brake fluid...these are maintenence things that a crappy owner wont keep up on and can usually mean the rest of the bike has been neglected....if you want to settle on 4500...offer him 4000 and then slowly settle on 4500...the bike really isnt worth 5500...my friend got a 954 2 years ago with 2,000 miles...thats right...2000....for $5300!!! thats a good deal but still you should be able to get that bike for $4-4.5K
Good point however, i spent 2900 and the guy was asking 5000. s after all my upgrades i almost came out even maybe 1500 went into parts n labor

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page