another chain question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 1:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

another chain question

ok so I've been searching, and I've seen so many different things now my head is spinning. So i have two questions that should be pretty simple, hopefully i can get a quick answer and get my parts ordered. it's a 99 CBR900rr.

First, I am getting a RK XSO X-ring chain (unless someone tells me not to). Will I need any special tools to install this chain?

Second, the bike is currently -1/+2 and i intend to keep it that way. some people have said a stock length chain of 108 links will work, but some have said it might not. with my luck, it probably won't fit, so i think i should order a longer one, again unless someone says no need. how difficult is it to remove a link from this chain? i'm fine with grinding, just not sure if i'll need to, or if i need some other tool.

Thanks a ton, sorry to ask a question I'm sure has been beaten to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 1:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: another chain question

No worries. You don't know until you ask.

RK XSO X-Ring is fine for the street. I personally am using a DID chain on the VFR and the CBR.

I would highly recommend a press on master link and rivet for your chain. A dremel or other type of grinder is very helpful for grinding down the head of a pin so that it's not so hard to press out with a chain tool. If you plan on doing this yourself get a chain tool. Taking it to a shop does not mean it will be done right!

I did not know that the plate needs to be pressed on first and it needs to be about the same width of the other links so you don't bind up the link.

As far as your second question, I do not know. I went -1 on the front and I bought the sprockets and chain as a set at http://sprocketcenter.com They sent the correct length chain for my 954 and my VFR. (Different sets bought at different times.) I have yet to install the set on my VFR.

You definitely want the side plate pressed to the correct depth.

Here is a good video that may help.

2002 CBR954RR, 1998 VFR800

Last edited by Deadsmiley; 04-29-2011 at 1:42 PM. Reason: tamn dypos
post #3 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 1:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! the website says the chain comes with a rivet master link, is that what you mean when you say "press on master link and rivet" or do i need something else too? I'll add the chain tool to my cart so I have that, thanks.

on a side note, motorcycle-superstore puts sprockets under "Parts" but chains under "Accessories". weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 2:09 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman5280 View Post
Thanks! the website says the chain comes with a rivet master link, is that what you mean when you say "press on master link and rivet" or do i need something else too? I'll add the chain tool to my cart so I have that, thanks.

on a side note, motorcycle-superstore puts sprockets under "Parts" but chains under "Accessories". weird.

The press on master link and rivet are all you need. There is a master link that uses a clip, but I really don't like those. Some will argue that they are just as good and that's fine. I will always use a riveted master link. Once you have the chain tool it's not difficult.

If you have something that you can measure the width of the chain like a cheap set of digital calipers you can nail the press on side plate width. That is what I did.

Edit:
This is a really good time to clean you chain slider. It's the plastic/rubber on top of the swing arm. Mine had a heavy mix of chain lube and road grit all over it. I cleaned it because I didn't want to run my nice new chain through that!

Remember, you have to press the side plate to the correct distance first. Then you stake the rivet.

2002 CBR954RR, 1998 VFR800
post #5 of 7 Old 05-01-2011, 1:43 AM

Reputation Power: 0

i have -1 +2 sprockets on my 98 900rr and the 108 link chain fit perfect.. the wheel base is shortened slightly, but not a huge amount.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-01-2011, 2:42 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Usually when you buy a chain and sprocket kit, the chain is a standard length and you have to take links out to get the correct length. Of the 5 or so bikes I have done in the past, I usually have to take 4 to 5 links out.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks all! i went ahead and ordered a chain breaker and press (figured the breaker from my old mtn bike wouldn't work, lol), along with front -1 and rear +2, and a 110 link chain just to be safe. it wasn't a kit vfrman, i couldn't find one with a -1/+2, just OEM, -1 front, or -1/+3, so i just ended up piecing together all the parts i needed.

i do have some digital calipers, used them to design a solid block steel spool for the rear diff in my pathfinder, just need to replace the battery in them. thanks, good idea on using those.

thanks again everyone, i've worked on my own cars, but the bike is new to me, appreciate the guidance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page