FRONT BREAKS STOP WORKING WHEN I CHANGE PADS - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 2:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

FRONT BREAKS STOP WORKING WHEN I CHANGE PADS

Okay guys so im having a bit of a problem with my front brakes. I was under the impression that if i just take the caliper off and change the pads i could put it back on and it work properly. But right when i took the caliper in half it started bleeding(which i dont know is good) not too much but dripping enough to make a little puddle. Now i know with a car you have to bleed the brakes then pump them back up again. Im really not sure what to do if anyone has had this problem or knows what i can do it fix it that would help me tremendously.(The break is just limp).
Thanks for your help and time,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 3:10 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: FRONT BREAKS STOP WORKING WHEN I CHANGE PADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceitpls View Post
Okay guys so im having a bit of a problem with my front brakes. I was under the impression that if i just take the caliper off and change the pads i could put it back on and it work properly. But right when i took the caliper in half it started bleeding(which i dont know is good) not too much but dripping enough to make a little puddle. Now i know with a car you have to bleed the brakes then pump them back up again. Im really not sure what to do if anyone has had this problem or knows what i can do it fix it that would help me tremendously.(The break is just limp).
Mike

You split the caliper in half?
You don't need to remove the calipers from the fork legs to replace the pads - unless you also clean the pistons which I strongly recommend. Otherwise just pop out the pins, press the pistons back into the calipers, remove the old pads, slide the new ones in, put the retaining pins back in and you're done. Don't even need bleeding.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 5:12 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Mike
Hi Mike,

it seems to me that you got startet all wrong with this work, without knowing the correct procedure. Ending up with brake fluid dripping from the caliper is definitely quite wrong, and as brakes are safety critical parts of the bike, I would suggest you get someone who really knows how to inspect and repair brakes to help you find out what has gone wrong.

Then next time - do not "be under the impression that ..." but make sure to follow a documented procedure, e.g. from the original Honda Shop Manual.

You did not write which model you have, but you can see in theese DIY articles how to inspect brake pads for wear and how to replace rear pads on a 2008 Fireblade:
Brake Pads Wear Inspection - CBR 1000RR8 DIY
Brake Pads - Rear, Replacement - CBR 1000RR8 DIY
Replaceing front pads is very similar to replacing the rear pad.

Cheers ... Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 7:09 PM

Reputation Power: 13

its simple man, now you don't have a hydraulic system that works anymore. you need to bleed the brakes now. when you split the caliper, it takes a long time, and a lot of fluid to get a good bleed accomplished.

fyi, you don't need to split the calipers to change the pads next time. if you want to clean the pistons next time, just get an old toothbrush and some soapy water and clean them up with that. you don't want brake fluid on the exterior of the pistons/pads/rotors.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 1:54 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

How would i go about doing a proper bleed on these front breaks. I know where the bolt is where the fluid would flow from. Id just attach a tube from there and click the break in turn the nut to flow, then close the nut and let go of the break. and just do this till there is no air in the thing anymore right? or something like that could someone tell me. thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 2:08 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
How would i go about doing a proper bleed on these front breaks. I know where the bolt is where the fluid would flow from. Id just attach a tube from there and click the break in turn the nut to flow, then close the nut and let go of the break. and just do this till there is no air in the thing anymore right? or something like that could someone tell me. thanks

Put a clear tube onto the nipple and tie it up to the handlebar - as it fills drain it into a bottle and tie it back up.
Pump up the lever and hold it in, crack the nipple and you will see the bubbles come out. Close the nipple and release the lever. Keep doing this and topping up the reservoir until the fluid coming out the nipple is the same colour as the stuff you're putting in. For final bleed up do the same but just barely crack the nipple open so only air can come out, not fluid. When you start getting fluid without air bubbles you're done. Then do the other side. If you have new pads then top the reservoir up to the full mark. If the pads are worn leave the level down enough for it to rise when you do replace the pads.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 5:15 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Put a clear tube onto the nipple and tie it up to the handlebar - as it fills drain it into a bottle and tie it back up.
Pump up the lever and hold it in, crack the nipple and you will see the bubbles come out. Close the nipple and release the lever. Keep doing this and topping up the reservoir until the fluid coming out the nipple is the same colour as the stuff you're putting in. For final bleed up do the same but just barely crack the nipple open so only air can come out, not fluid. When you start getting fluid without air bubbles you're done. Then do the other side. If you have new pads then top the reservoir up to the full mark. If the pads are worn leave the level down enough for it to rise when you do replace the pads.
Go find someone who knows what they are doing to help.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 5:17 AM
Global Moderator

And be sure to use DOT4 fluid.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page