2000 cbr929rr...lost the clutch, oil light on, plus overheating - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 3:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2000 cbr929rr...lost the clutch, oil light on, plus overheating

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I have been riding bikes all my life. I recently had my transmission race cut due to second gear slipping. All the work was done by a guy who builds drag bikes. My first test ride ended after about 10 miles. I rode for 4 miles and I lost my clutch, after getting it adjusted i rode for six more miles before I lost it again. At this point, the oil light first started flickering and the last 2 miles it stayed on. I also noticed the temp reaching 240 degrees fahrenheit. I quickly parked it and haven't started since. Any ideas on what could be going on with my bike? Considering the cases were split to get the transmission out and back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 4:39 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 2000 cbr929rr...lost the clutch, oil light on, plus overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcain28 View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I have been riding bikes all my life. I recently had my transmission race cut due to second gear slipping. All the work was done by a guy who builds drag bikes. My first test ride ended after about 10 miles. I rode for 4 miles and I lost my clutch, after getting it adjusted i rode for six more miles before I lost it again. At this point, the oil light first started flickering and the last 2 miles it stayed on. I also noticed the temp reaching 240 degrees fahrenheit. I quickly parked it and haven't started since. Any ideas on what could be going on with my bike? Considering the cases were split to get the transmission out and back in.

What do you mean by "lost my clutch"?
The bike wouldn't move at all?
Has it got oil in it?
Are you sure it's the oil light and not the MIL?
Is the radiator full of coolant (ignore the reservoir)?
Have you taken it back to the guy that put it together?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 4:56 PM

Reputation Power: 87

Quote:
All the work was done by a guy who builds drag bikes.
What does this guy have to say about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 6:59 PM Thread Starter

What I mean by lost the clutch is that i could pull the lever all the way in and the clutch still wouldn't engage. I adjusted it and after about 5 more miles the same thing happened again and I had to keep going until I stopped. Im guessing its the oil light because it had the oil bottle above it. I'll have to check the radiator because i didn't look inside of it. The guy told me to bring it to his shop and he will look at it Monday. I just wanted to get opinions from other fireblade owners to see what might have happened.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
What I mean by lost the clutch is that i could pull the lever all the way in and the clutch still wouldn't engage. I adjusted it and after about 5 more miles the same thing happened again and I had to keep going until I stopped. Im guessing its the oil light because it had the oil bottle above it. I'll have to check the radiator because i didn't look inside of it. The guy told me to bring it to his shop and he will look at it Monday. I just wanted to get opinions from other fireblade owners to see what might have happened.

To engage the clutch you let the lever out.
I think you mean you can't disengage the clutch to be able to stop?
You can change gears without using the clutch.
Have you checked the oil level?
Is it the original clutch pack or was it replaced?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 2:30 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, but yes I mean disengage the clutch to be able to stop. I know that you can shift gears without the clutch and that's what I had to do on the short ride back to my house. I checked the oil as soon as the light came and yes it was full. After I rode it back home I checked it again and it was still full. The clutch was replaced with barnett kevlar fibers and barnett clutch springs about 200 miles ago so I didn't feel the need to replace it again.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 2:50 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, but yes I mean disengage the clutch to be able to stop. I know that you can shift gears without the clutch and that's what I had to do on the short ride back to my house. I checked the oil as soon as the light came and yes it was full. After I rode it back home I checked it again and it was still full. The clutch was replaced with barnett kevlar fibers and barnett clutch springs about 200 miles ago so I didn't feel the need to replace it again.

It just occurred to me, the clutch basket drives the oil pump via a chain and the oil pump drives the water pump. Since you are having clutch/oil/water problems perhaps the chain or drive sprocket has come loose.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 3:07 AM Thread Starter

I think you and the guy who worked on my bike are on the same track. That's exactly what he said may have happened and that is the first thing he is gonna check on Monday. Thanks bladeracer for all your help and i'll let you know how it goes Monday.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Took my bike to the shop today and bladeracer you were on the right track. Evidently the guy didn't even tighten the main nut for the clutch basket...when we took the cover off I could turn the nut with my hand. After tightening the nut and puttingn fresh oil, I rode the bike for 40 miles today with no problems or strange noises coming from the engine. My only question now is should I look for any long term problems that this no oil and no coolant for 2 miles could have on my engine?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page