2006 cbr 1000rr wont fire - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 7:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2006 cbr 1000rr wont fire

I have a 2006 cbr 1000rr and recently the right crank cover was removed to be painted...Well the bike ran perfect before the cover was taken off like 2 days before. After the cover was put back on the bike would not get any fire. Then engine will turn over but will not fire up. All the sensors and fuses from what I can see is fine. I some news back from the local honda dealer saying that the time is off and that the pulse generator is not working(crank sensor i guess)...Well the guy goes on and tell me that he found a rubber washer that have something to do with the timing, got caught up between the camshaft and crank chain which could threw the timing off and that I know could possible have a bent valve. Now the back never fired back up or moved since the cover got put back on...I know that the timing could possible be off and the sensor may be bad but a bent valve??? No serious compression took place for the valves to be bent and plus there is no rubber washer for my knowledge inside the cover....Can someone please help me with this because everything seem straight except for the valve part...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 1:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 2006 cbr 1000rr wont fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ_B View Post
I have a 2006 cbr 1000rr and recently the right crank cover was removed to be painted...Well the bike ran perfect before the cover was taken off like 2 days before. After the cover was put back on the bike would not get any fire. Then engine will turn over but will not fire up. All the sensors and fuses from what I can see is fine. I some news back from the local honda dealer saying that the time is off and that the pulse generator is not working(crank sensor i guess)...Well the guy goes on and tell me that he found a rubber washer that have something to do with the timing, got caught up between the camshaft and crank chain which could threw the timing off and that I know could possible have a bent valve. Now the back never fired back up or moved since the cover got put back on...I know that the timing could possible be off and the sensor may be bad but a bent valve??? No serious compression took place for the valves to be bent and plus there is no rubber washer for my knowledge inside the cover....Can someone please help me with this because everything seem straight except for the valve part...

The headlight and upper fairing are still in place?
What do they mean by the "pulse generator is not working"?
Is there power going to the connector?
Was the pickup removed from the cover at all?
If the engine was never rotated then you won't have skipped timing or bent valves.
I don't know what you mean by "no serious compression took place" - turning the engine over _by hand_ can bend the valves if the timing is out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

bladeracer the fairings arent on the bike...THe engine was never turned over by hand either....From what the dealership tech told me the pulse generator sensor is the sensor inside of the right crankcover....I think that sensor is gone bad and I can get that replaced....Nobody tampered with engine or timing at all....THe dealer tech said that they found a rubber washer somewhere between the camshaft and crank chain....I pick the bike up tomorrow because the guys that look at my bike previously said that theres no way ur valves are bent since the bike never started back up and nobody turned the engine over....The dealer wants to due a compression test after they reset the timing on my bike...THey told me that the sensor for the stator pulse generator is not working and the bike isnt firing...I can understand that part since the crankcover was off for a couple of days but bent valves???? I'm lost with that one....Theyre giving me a hypotheisis that a rubber washer got caught up in there like I previously stated and threw the timing off....They gave me no explanation about the sensor....Now they want to set the timing on my bike and do a compression test and check for a bent valve...That sounds real shaky to me and all of a suddent they want to keep my bike for a couple of weeks...I have no trouble codes for any of that....My bike ran good after I changed the exhaust up but like I said after we removed the cover and place it back on it didnt want to fire up anymore....Tip over switch is good also and all fuses are good also....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
bladeracer the fairings arent on the bike...THe engine was never turned over by hand either....From what the dealership tech told me the pulse generator sensor is the sensor inside of the right crankcover....I think that sensor is gone bad and I can get that replaced....Nobody tampered with engine or timing at all....THe dealer tech said that they found a rubber washer somewhere between the camshaft and crank chain....I pick the bike up tomorrow because the guys that look at my bike previously said that theres no way ur valves are bent since the bike never started back up and nobody turned the engine over....The dealer wants to due a compression test after they reset the timing on my bike...THey told me that the sensor for the stator pulse generator is not working and the bike isnt firing...I can understand that part since the crankcover was off for a couple of days but bent valves???? I'm lost with that one....Theyre giving me a hypotheisis that a rubber washer got caught up in there like I previously stated and threw the timing off....They gave me no explanation about the sensor....Now they want to set the timing on my bike and do a compression test and check for a bent valve...That sounds real shaky to me and all of a suddent they want to keep my bike for a couple of weeks...I have no trouble codes for any of that....My bike ran good after I changed the exhaust up but like I said after we removed the cover and place it back on it didnt want to fire up anymore....Tip over switch is good also and all fuses are good also....

If the fairings are not on the bike is the bank angle sensor connected?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Yes the bank angle sensor is connected in the correct position and fuse is good.....
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

Just went for a quick blast, pretty bloody cool out there this evening :-)

If the pulse generator wasn't working the dash would flash a MIL. How did they determine it's not working? If anything in the injection system wasn't working it would throw codes - I reckon it's something stopping the spark.
I would not allow them to open the engine up until they have properly diagnosed the problem - I agree, valve timing is very unlikely to be the cause as the engine would still fire. To have the valve timing go out as well as the pulse generator is just too much coincidence.
I am wondering why the bike is at a dealership though if you only pulled the side cover off to paint it?
Have you actually tested the bank angle sensor is working - it does actually open and close when you tilt it? Have you checked the ignition switch, kill switch, sidestand switch and clutch switches are all working?
Is the fuel pump priming as it should when you turn the ignition on?

post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah you are absolute correct...The only MIL I found was the one for the servo motor I think thats 34 since I no longer have the stock exhaust on and the dealership said the same thing, but there was no other codes at all...And the kill switch, fuel prime, sidestand switch, and clutch switches are working...THe tip over switch work also because my boy turned it over and showed me and the bike wouldnt do anything and when he put it back in the correct position, everything worked as normal...Im not going to let them open the engine up either...I kind skeptical that they dont know the problem and if they do they want to just make extra money....Im kind lost at this point because all we did was take the cover off and put it back on ....May it could be the pulse generator sensor thats gone bad i just dont know...But your correct if the timing was off it would still fire...But I have no fire at all...Hey Im about to step out for a couple of hours for church...Ima reply when I get back to my cpu....Thanks for being helpful so far...Shoot u a reply then ....
post #8 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 2:34 PM Thread Starter

you have any other suggestions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page