Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Bad FPR? Long...

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  wamcneil 
#1 ·
OK, so the bike has been sitting around for a few years, ridden every 6 mo or so. Every time I decide to get it running and sell it, I take a ride around the neighborhood to warm it up and get it to hitting on all four cyl. And then I always decide I'm not in such a big hurry to sell it...
Then last time though, I filled it up with new gas and it ran on three cyls; never would start hitting on all 4 :hmm:. So I put it back on the battery charger and let it sit all afternoon to mess with later.
When started back up, it blew about a quart of raw gas out the exhaust, DRENCHING my wife's car :eek:. Which did not ignite, thank goodness.
So, I let it sit for a few days till I could get around to pulling the tank and figuring out the problem. During which time it emptied the rest of the tank into the crank case :rant:.
So I drained the crank case and that's where I left it for a while, assuming I had something wrong with an injector, possibly explaining the missing cyl and gas leaking into the motor.
I tore it down yesterday and can't find anything obviously wrong with the injectors, they all look perfectly clean and measure the same resistance. And none of the plugs looks especially bad, all look rich, but no bad buildup of carbon. So I started doing a little research on here, and now I'm thinking it's the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Am I right that a problem injector could not result in the entire contents of the tank emptying into the crank case?
Thanks in advance,
Walter

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh, and another question; will gas ruin the clutch disks? They pickled in it for a week or more; should I plan on replacing them?

No. the clutch will be fine but replace the oil and filter after fixing the problem.

#3 ·
OK, so the bike has been sitting around for a few years, ridden every 6 mo or so. Every time I decide to get it running and sell it, I take a ride around the neighborhood to warm it up and get it to hitting on all four cyl. And then I always decide I'm not in such a big hurry to sell it...
Then last time though, I filled it up with new gas and it ran on three cyls; never would start hitting on all 4 :hmm:. So I put it back on the battery charger and let it sit all afternoon to mess with later.
When started back up, it blew about a quart of raw gas out the exhaust, DRENCHING my wife's car :eek:. Which did not ignite, thank goodness.
So, I let it sit for a few days till I could get around to pulling the tank and figuring out the problem. During which time it emptied the rest of the tank into the crank case :rant:.
So I drained the crank case and that's where I left it for a while, assuming I had something wrong with an injector, possibly explaining the missing cyl and gas leaking into the motor.
I tore it down yesterday and can't find anything obviously wrong with the injectors, they all look perfectly clean and measure the same resistance. And none of the plugs looks especially bad, all look rich, but no bad buildup of carbon. So I started doing a little research on here, and now I'm thinking it's the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Am I right that a problem injector could not result in the entire contents of the tank emptying into the crank case?
Thanks in advance,
Walter

I'd be checking the fuel pressure regulator with those symptoms.
Just pull the vacuum line and turn the ignition on, very easy.

#5 ·
Thanks. Already got 2 filters. I'll refill it with conventional oil to flush it, then change it again in a couple of weeks and put synth back in.
What's the difference with the 'updated' FPR -013? I came accross a couple of threads recommending it over the P/N spec'd for 2001.

#6 ·
Thanks. Already got 2 filters. I'll refill it with conventional oil to flush it, then change it again in a couple of weeks and put synth back in.
What's the difference with the 'updated' FPR -013? I came accross a couple of threads recommending it over the P/N spec'd for 2001.

No idea as I've never had to buy one sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.